patching tires

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
I am wondering how safe is it really to patch a front tire. I just put a fresh set of dunlops 208's and my front tire has a small punture.... the bad thing .....50 miles on it!!!! I still have the knobs and green lines on the damn thing. I still have the original front tire but i heard its not safe to mix and match tires. Keep in mind i do top out the bike once in a while. any feed back and ideals would be nice before i spend more money on tires.

ouch...$160 for 50 miles.....I can smell the bargain!!!
tounge.gif

but generally the handling gets thrown off with different tires...well thats what i heard.
Over stated!! You can run mix and match sets with out a problem. Best is to run the same though for maximum performance. Look for discont tires places like tiresunlimited.com and many othes for a good rce for the replacement.

I've HEARD that too, but have yet to see anybody step and and say: "... because I PERSONALLY DID IT and experienced this" as a result of mixing tires.

Consider a plug as a weak spot. As long as you never drive over 50ish, never catch the weak spot on an edge of pavement, never roll it over a bump or a dip, never change the air pressure, temperature, PSI or moisture, I think it will last a long time. You life is worth more than $150 replacement cost. Many of us have been there, I sucks, but if you are worried about tire replacement costs, a Busa is not for you!
biggrin.gif
Me: New Pirellis + gravel road = 2 inch nail = = another new rear tire

Plug it to get you home and then replace it. As others have said, your life is worth more than the cost to replace the tire.

Like others have said replace it, but you can mix tire brands just do not mix compounds. If you have a soft rear put on a soft front.

thank u. i didnt like the stock tires anyway...the dunlop was a nice feel. so i guess a new tire is the answer. hey ninja eater...wasnt at suzy Q's tuesday?

If I got a nail in a new tire id patch it and re-balance it afterwards.

The only tires id not patch are ultra high pressure tires.

Dont mix tires a bud of mine just totalled his RR...he had a batlax on the rear and an avon on the fron went around a right hander and the front tire washed out sent him to the woods to the tune of broken ribs and concusion.

At the risk of getting flamed: A plugged tire is pretty durable. i pluged mine when i went to the track with Mr. Brown It was run 3 times burnout and all then it made a spirited ride back to belleville and is still holding strong. i just havent ridden it since then. I do feel your pain on the tires but copettion accessoris has a sale on powers which will give you a good quality set and you can get rid of the dunflops

shoot me your email so i can send you this document to read

Dont mix tires a bud of mine just totalled his RR...he had a batlax on the rear and an avon on the fron went around a right hander and the front tire washed out sent him to the woods to the tune of broken ribs and concusion.

At the risk of getting flamed: A plugged tire is pretty durable. i pluged mine when i went to the track with Mr. Brown It was run 3 times burnout and all then it made a spirited ride back to belleville and is still holding strong. i just havent ridden it since then. I do feel your pain on the tires but copettion accessoris has a sale on powers which will give you a good quality set and you can get rid of the dunflops
was the Avon slicker than the Battlax? How would rear traction affect the front washing out?? I think don't mix grip levels like grip levels / compounds like soft rear, touring front, like manatrader says

I won't flame you but what I read is "My tire didn't come apart luckily". Many have good experiences on plugs, some don't. I don't like those odds. I'll take purchasable 99% known good tire integrity over 0-75% unknown anyday of the week when riding over 150, but that's just me.

I am not fond of Dunslips either, but rarely to I do burnouts or like spinning the rear. Dunslops fly out the door at our local shop to all the stunting, tire burning squids. ANY new tire will always feel GREAT since it is compared to the previous old, wore, haggered tire
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116041338 -->

it was a matter of exceding the grip of the front tire it was a nice turn but the bank was side ways the left side of the rode was higher than the right and the low sided into the woods

I would never run on a patched or plugged tire on my bike except to get me home.  Ever.

As far as mixing brands goes, it depends on what kind of rider you are.

If you bought the Busa to ride around and look cool and don't intend to push the envelope in the corners...it probably won't matter.

In my book, missmatching tires is a bad idea unless you have specific knowledge of each tires compound and adhesion qualities and do it on purpose.  Tire manufacturers design bike tires in pairs, to work together.

I have had some bad experiences yrs ago with missmatched treads.  But then again, I tend to ride fairly hard.  My "chicken strip" was about 1/8th " by 450 miles.

We spend a lot of money on proper gear to keep our a$$es safer.  It only makes sense to spend a few more $ and keep matched pairs on our bikes.

I guess it's OK if cornering isn't your thing.

Just my .02

I was gonna mention that we never run Dunflops on anything around here, but was worried about getting flamed...Dunlops suck...IMO

Most all the guys I know who low side, have had Dunflops on thier bikes. One of my buddies low sided his ZX12r with Avons on it 45/46`s. I think he was just going to fast.

I have had Battle axes give me a few scares on the front before. Cold MeZ4`s aint no better..

<!--EDIT|Lloyd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116070972 -->

Back