Foster Mom to a breed I never thought I'd help...

This summer, a study was published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science with the results of an experiment that compared visual breed determination with results from DNA tests of shelter dogs. The results showed that the breed was incorrectly visually identified by the adoption agencies 75-87% of the time:

In only a quarter of these dogs was at least one of the breeds proposed by the adoption agencies also detected as a predominant breed by DNA analysis. (Predominant breeds were defined as those comprised of the highest percentage of a DNA breed make-up.) In 87.5% of the adopted dogs, breeds were identified by DNA analyses that were not proposed by the adoption agencies. A breed must have been detected at a minimum of 12.5% of a dog’s make-up to be reported in the DNA analysis.

This information is important to know before we start talking about dog bite statistics by breed and how the media covers dog bites.

I have had many many dogs over my lifetime. I have had some very intelligent ones. My rescue Brindle Pit (Zane) is now 4 years old. He is extremely intelligent best I ever had. He is very loyal and safe, however he hates my cat NO ifs ands or BUTS. He will never get alone with Snickers the cat. He does get alone with the Rat TERRIER (Jade) AND the jack Russel (Lexa) and in turn they get alone with Snickers. Pits are a misunderstood breed but they will also not back down from a fight if provoked. Thanks for giving him a helping hand.

I'm glad he "fell" in to my lap and I'm so thankful Mike (luvmybusa) took him in...he's in great hands :)

I now have since acquired 5 cats :rofl: I'm now officially crazy cat lady... :whistle:

Ooo thanks for the linky. Totally missed it :whistle:

Glad it ended well like that.

Gotta love the .org!

lol, that's the face of happiness
165945d1258594509-weekend-trip-virginia-virginia-trip-062.jpg

This is another great ending that was made possible by the members of this board. :thumbsup: Thanks to the members that made this possible. :beerchug:

Back