Fork spring upgrade - tools..?

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
I ordered the Gold Valve kit with a fork spring replacement for my body weight from Race Tech yesterday along with replacement fork seals and oil. Browsing through the service manual shows a few special tools – the 09940-94930: front fork spacer holder, 09940-94922: stopper plate, and a 09940-30221:10mm hex front fork assembling tool. Checking around I found a kit containing these tools from Traxxion Dynamics: http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=CFTK, my question is two fold, first - does the hex adapter contained in this kit work on the Busa, and second - what is the best thing to use to extract and replace the fork seals..? I have access to home shop machinery so within reason I can fab up something to use as a driver but if anyone has a suggestion to make life easier that would be mucho appreciated…
Thanks!
-Jim

Yes the 10mm should work no problem. When I wrote this:
I used a 10mm hex socket, fit right up in there.

I used a screwdriver to carefully pry the seal out, they are not in there like wheel bearings, easy slight pull up on one side and it will dislodge easily. GL and have fun, it made a world of difference for my Busa.

Charlie

lurk.gif

Thanks for the help and the link, it’s a little challenging to look at the photo’s in the service manual and know exactly how some of the tools are supposed to work. One question, can anyone tell me what the “09940-30221: Front fork assembling tool†is, i.e., is it an elongated deep socket? BTW, I got an email back from Racetech this afternoon informing me that they are backordered on the Goldvalve kits and springs. No idea yet how long they’ll be backordered but that’s OK, it’s been warm here in DC and I don’t wanna tear the bike down yet anyway. Think I’ll take a look at the DC Cycleworld show for tools while I’m there – may find some good deals…
-Jim

Back