For those who cannot park their Busa in a garage!

delock

Registered
What type of measures do you take for securing your bike.

I live in a loft without a garage. My bike is in a remote access gated parking lot.

my buddy did that before.. parked his bike infront of his car, almost pinned to the wall.. well the sneaky bastards, lifted his bike up, walked it the length of his car and still stole it.. locking it down is the best bet, along with some kind of immobilizer and a alarm..

Pretty much covered, chain it to something, roadlok, and an alarm, oh....and make sure your insurance is paid up.

my buddy did that before.. parked his bike infront of his car, almost pinned to the wall.. well the sneaky bastards, lifted his bike up, walked it the length of his car and still stole it.. locking it down is the best bet, along with some kind of immobilizer and a alarm..

They picked the bike up over the car? Was it a scooter?

Cover it...along with whatever locking up measures you decide.

A cover, while not being secure, can keep it partially hidden. Even though they see wheels hanging out, it simply keeps the out of sight portion in play as much as possible.

Someone who does not see you pulling in and out every day does not readily know exactly what is under the cover~!~

What type of measures do you take for securing your bike.

I live in a loft without a garage. My bike is in a remote access gated parking lot.

Not bad, but I would recommend riding it up to the loft and parking it next to your bed. Then all you need to do is sleep like Chuck Norris: With a pillow under your gun! :whistle:

In all seriousness, bikes are simply too easy to steal. If the thief is good enoug/motivated enough, they'll get it. Chain it and they'll cut they chain. Alarm it and they'll disable the alarm. LoJack it and they'll toss the LoJack. Even a garage is no guarantee against theft - they'll pry it up use a jack to go the rest of the way/break the door.

IMHO, the best defense is as follows:

1) Stealth: Be as low key as possible in/around your home when riding. Don't do anything that draws attention to the fact that there's a Hayabusa at your home - this includes everything from reving it for no reason, to leaving it parked in plain sight for any amount of time. I've even ridden right past my own house on occassion when "questionable" persons have been passing by when I arrived home. When I clean out my garage, I park the bike accross the street in shared lot where I can still see it but it won't be associated with my house where it lives. The less time your bike spends being seen around your home, the less chance that a potential thief will add your home to the list of targets. I guess I kinda take the "Bat Cave" approach - If they don't know where it is, they can't make a move on it.

2) Secure it as much as you can stand to do so. The more you secure it, the bigger PITA it is to unsecure and resecure before and after each and EVERY ride. For every security measure, there is a counter. The only question is whether or not the thief is skilled and/or motivated enough. All you can do is try to make it more of a PITA to steal your bike than the next target on their list.

Options:
a) DON'T leave the key in the bike! Seriously! (Some folks do...!?!?!?!)

b) Use the ignition fork lock. There's NO reason not to.

c) Chains & locks. PITA, but they can be cut and picked. They can all be cut or picked and, unless you lock it to something unmoveable, they can still just pick it up and walk off with it to a waiting vehicle.

d) Alarms. Just that an alarm. Doesn't keep it safe, just makes it noisy to steal until they disable it. How many times has anyone challenged someone when a vehicle alarm goes off? I've never seen it done and the most I've ever done is watch the vehicle until it appeared that the person deactivated what appeared to be a false alarm. Unless you're near enough to hear it, it probably won't matter to anyone. Of coure, there is the potential to scare of the raw amateur thief.

e) Engine kill systems. Not bad for discouraging amateurs, but pros will be carrying, not riding, the bike anyway.

f) LoJack. Possibly the best bet for RECOVERY, but does little to discourage theft. Pros look for it, FIND it and toss it and amateurs won't know it's there and will take the bike anyway. With a bit of luck, LoJack could help you recover the bike, but in what condition?

3) Theft Insurance: Get it and keep it in force.

Best of luck!

New idea...

Bolt 2000 pounds of lead in inconspicuous places.

Thieves won't be able to easily pick the bike up...and there's a good chance they'll leave the scene with a back injury.

Of course the bike will perform like a Honda Civic.

:mwink:

get on stands. get both wheels off!

To make it lighter for thieves to carry? ???

Sure wouldn't wanna be in a rush to get anywhere with that security system:

Caller: How far away are you?
Rider: Two minutes.
Caller: Great! See ya in two, then.
Rider: Make it thirty. Gotta put the wheels back on my bike. !!??!?!?!?!!!

:laugh:

Here's one way! Check out this thumbnail! :laugh:???:lol:
taiwan-crocodile-attack-2009-2-28-21-34-46.jpg

Evidently, that arm belongs to the zoo veterinarian in Taiwan that was trying to remove a tranquilizer dart from the beast, his attempt was miscalculated to say the least.

The zoo staff tried firing two shots at the over-sized croc,,, nothing happened.

I guess the crocodile spit the stub out on his own, rolled his eyes and mumbled something in an arrogant and disgusted tone something about the "Eff that!",,, "The cuticles weren't even done!" :laugh:

If I HAD to park my bike outside, it would DEFINATELY get Lo Jack. No question. If someone wants your bike bad enough, they will get it. Your ONLY chance at getting it back will be lo jack. It gets wired into the wiring harness if they do it right and it is hard for people to find it. I would also have a loud alarm installed, so that should they mess with the bike trying to get to the lo jack, they would have to do it with a loud a$$ alarm going off in their ear the whole time.

Mani

HONESTLY...why worry that much? I love my bike, but cmon.. its a vehicle. If someone steals it, that is what insurance is for. People arent replaceable..bikes are.

Dont live your short 80 or so years on this planet worrying about metal that much..just ride and enjoy. Something happened? Call insurance and get a new one!

That being said, I park mine in my parking lot for my apt. complex.:laugh:

If I HAD to park my bike outside, it would DEFINATELY get Lo Jack. No question. If someone wants your bike bad enough, they will get it. Your ONLY chance at getting it back will be lo jack. It gets wired into the wiring harness if they do it right and it is hard for people to find it. I would also have a loud alarm installed, so that should they mess with the bike trying to get to the lo jack, they would have to do it with a loud a$$ alarm going off in their ear the whole time.

Mani

I agree totaly !

There is nothing that will stop a thief! Your only hope is to implement measures that will slow them and make enough noise to draw attention. And as the others have said your only true protection is insurance.

Insurance and security in layers. Make the theives work for it. In Texas you can shoot thevies dead to protect your personal property if you have no other recourse.

Back