Where do you park?

mattymatt716

Registered
I've been wondering this for a while, but never really thought to ask it until today. When you take your bike out on the town (for whatever reason), where do you park it when you go inside a store, restaurant, etc.? Do you keep it in the parking lot? Up by the entrance of the building? The reason I'm asking is for security/safety reasons (obvious why I am asking?).

I don't know what the laws are in Indiana (where I'm from), but I have seen some liquorcycles (scooters) park at the front of the building.

I'm planning to get a lock, but I have no intentions of covering my bike every time I stop somewhere. 1) Isn't practical, and 2) have nowhere to store a cover when riding with my wife.

I'd love to get your opinions/experience on this.

I'd say you are taking a chance when you leave the sight of your bike. It takes all of 15 sec for 4 guys to pick up your bike and throw it in the back of a van. So, if someone with malicious intent follows you... I've seen it with my own eyes - my neighbor's ZX12.

I've also known a guy who was going long distance, stopped at the gas station around D.C. somewhere, and when he got out of the bathroom a few min later, the bike was gone.

If you can attach to an immobile object, you are OK for a few minutes. But even then, if someone is prepared, a lock cutter would cut whatever you put on in a few seconds.

So, basically you just have to be aware of this, and assess the risks based on your local situation. Nothing may happen for years, but that doesn't mean the risk is not there. Unfortunately, there is no universal answer.

My personal approach to never leave the site of the bike and to just drive for errands, but I understand the joy/fun part of taking the bike everywhere. I certainly would do that often if it was safe.

I think alarm with perimeter sensor is a huge plus in such situation because a would be thief most always wants to come close to the bike and take a look. When the alarm starts chirping, or even gets triggered, they prefer not to take an extra chance. A thief doesn't want to take the bike and you calling the cops right away because this would greatly increase their chances of being caught. They want to leave quietly.

Parking up front helps a little, but I think it's overrated because no one is going to confront 4 guys picking up a bike. So, the most likely thing would be that someone will run into the store shouting whose bike was parked up front. By the time you realize what happened, and call the cops it will be too late. Also, keep in mind that ALL the time a van used to take bikes is either stolen or the license plate is stolen, so getting a license plate number will only help police to notify owner of the van/license plate that it has been stolen.

Think out of the box - anything that thieves do not expect, anything that can surprise/confuse them would work to your advantage as opposed to the use of standard things.

I try 2 park my busa in line of sight if I'm @ a restaurant. When I go 2 the mall or something like that I always park it up front 4 all eyes 2 see. Don't wanna park it in the middle or back where somebody can pull some funny business.

To be honest with you when I'm out riding my busa I'm usually doing just that.... riding my busa. I'm not taking trips to the mall or movies and let my bike sit for hours on end. When I go 2 Bikefests and stuff like that I'm usually on my Nightrod because cops are on high alert and I'm a lot less likely 2 get caught speeding or tempted 2 show some idiot on a 600 how slow their bike really is :laugh:

All good points above ^^^^

If I can, I would park it by a window (assume a restaurant) where I could see it and hopefully close to the window so that a thief would have to come close to the building.
If I was alone and someone was brave enough to get close to my bike I would yell to anyone in the building close to the windows to take pictures of that thief. If they don't have ski masks on
then that may be better that getting a license plate number that (like said) probably is stolen. Some places have video surveillance that could be helpful - but I wouldn't bank on it.

The fact of the mater is no one wants to get their bike stolen. It's also a fact that if someone wants it bad enough there is little you can do.
Therefore get insurance. At least it's better then nothing. If you put anything extra on your bike make sure you photograph it BEFORE it gets stolen so you
can prove to the insurance company that you had accessories that they need to pay for, if a total lost. Receipts help too. I did that last summer but will need to do it again this spring.

When my friends and I ride and stop for fuel, we stagger our stop so someone is with the bikes at all times. Plus I tend to ride armed in plain sight, not saying that as a 'Look at how bad ass I am' thing, but as a deterent knowing the guy you want to steal from is armed helps.

-D

Trying to keep it in sight is always the best choice , plus keeping some weapons handy is smart also.

Dont get me wrong, I am totaly pro conceal carry, but if you are close enough to your bike for that to come into play they are probley not going to take your bike. Most scum bags want the easy score and just you confronting them will cause them to go looking for easier pray.

I'd say you are taking a chance when you leave the sight of your bike. It takes all of 15 sec for 4 guys to pick up your bike and throw it in the back of a van. So, if someone with malicious intent follows you... I've seen it with my own eyes - my neighbor's ZX12.

I've also known a guy who was going long distance, stopped at the gas station around D.C. somewhere, and when he got out of the bathroom a few min later, the bike was gone.

If you can attach to an immobile object, you are OK for a few minutes. But even then, if someone is prepared, a lock cutter would cut whatever you put on in a few seconds.

So, basically you just have to be aware of this, and assess the risks based on your local situation. Nothing may happen for years, but that doesn't mean the risk is not there. Unfortunately, there is no universal answer.

My personal approach to never leave the site of the bike and to just drive for errands, but I understand the joy/fun part of taking the bike everywhere. I certainly would do that often if it was safe.

I think alarm with perimeter sensor is a huge plus in such situation because a would be thief most always wants to come close to the bike and take a look. When the alarm starts chirping, or even gets triggered, they prefer not to take an extra chance. A thief doesn't want to take the bike and you calling the cops right away because this would greatly increase their chances of being caught. They want to leave quietly.

Parking up front helps a little, but I think it's overrated because no one is going to confront 4 guys picking up a bike. So, the most likely thing would be that someone will run into the store shouting whose bike was parked up front. By the time you realize what happened, and call the cops it will be too late. Also, keep in mind that ALL the time a van used to take bikes is either stolen or the license plate is stolen, so getting a license plate number will only help police to notify owner of the van/license plate that it has been stolen.

Think out of the box - anything that thieves do not expect, anything that can surprise/confuse them would work to your advantage as opposed to the use of standard things.

Agreed. Interesting interdependencies on the stolen van used to steal a bike. So they stole the bike with a stolen van. Did they steal a car to get to the stolen van? Or did they acquire the stolen van from a 3rd party? If so, where did the 3rd party get it? Too bad we can't just eliminate thieves when their caught red-handed. Currently, there's little deterrent to thieves, which is why our only options are to pay MORE of OUR $$$ for security options and, most of all, for theft insurance. Because if someone wants it bad enough, nothing is un-stealable.

To answer the question: I generally don't ride my back casually for the very reason that I don't want to return from and errand or a visit on foot b/c my bike was stolen. There are exceptions, but I ALWAYS consider parking options and security profile of where I'll be going. In most cases, if I'll have to park the bike, I choose to drive my "bad paint, looks worthless, $1500 blue book value car". Sad but true.

Wow- great thoughts. I really appreciate it. If I'm using a lock w/proximity sensor, alarm, or something of the sort, what sort of lock do you recommend/use currently, etc.? I wouldn't mind putting $$ into a lock that is loud and obnoxious. Xena XX14 for a busa (or something better)? Their website doesn't seem to have a working link for Suzukis for fitment.

You can buy a simple Red LED light w/ remote off ebay pretty cheap. Mount the LED on a dash panel in plain sight. When you park the bike just turn the Flashing light on, it looks like you have an alarm and sometimes that's all you need is the threat of something. A simple LED doesn't put a drain on the battery and at night somebody approaching your bike will notice it and might hesitate or decide 2 go mess with another bike that isn't flashing. @ the end of the day if somebody wants your bike and does their homework they are gonna get it..... But @ the same time they always want the quick easy score and a flashing light warns them that it may make noise may be unable 2 hotwire etc.

I've wondered about this too. I've been thinking about where to park when I meet friends at the movies or at restaurants and whether I'm asking for more trouble by parking in no parking zones, or if it's just the wise thing to do. Now that I have a much more theft desirable busa and the insurance was so outrageous that I opted for liability only, I'm nervous as hell letting it out of my sight.

I used to always park in a parking spot unless there was clear motorcycle parking somewhere. Of course I've seen lots of bikes parked in the no parking sections, or in front of handicapped spots, or even sometimes pulled up onto the sidewalk in front of stores. I parked on the white lines next to a handicapped spot the other day. I drove around the parking lot looking for a better option for a while, and that was it. There were 2 van accessible spots right there, and neither was being used, so I parked. It was to run into subway and get a sandwich to go so it would only be 10 minutes or so. I spent the entire time in subway worried that someone would get pissed about it being next to a handicapped spot and knock it over. Funny thing was that within sight was an enduro bike on the sidewalk that looked like it belonged there.

I do think the perimeter warning is great in theory, but I seriously doubt it'll work in busy parking lots with bikes or cars parked close, or people walking by.

I have a small charge I put in the trunk. If the bike is started before flipping the switch I have hidden under the undertail - kaboom! I almost started it once without flipping the switch but that scared me so much I have never forgotten it since. The charge is small, but it is big enough to finish off the guy riding it or next to it.

If you ride you much have full insurance! It's a big deal. Not only do you have to worry about it being stolen but also hit and run people. It happens all the time where a cager hits a bike in the parking lot and just leaves. They hit bikers on the roads and just leave too. Insurance is the only true remedy for theft. I park it where I can see it as long as I'm not near a window due to the potential blast of course.

Ok, J/K about the charge under the seat. But boy I wish you could do that legally.

I'm working on a security system that works similarly to heated grips except when the bike is moved while alarm is active the bike will send a high voltage shock through the hand grips and seat! :laugh:

I should get a monkey to hide in the hump. If someone comes near, he can jump out and throw poo. :lol:

I like the charge idea also!

Has anyone here actually been towed for parking near the entrance rather than in the parking lot? I've not had the guts to risk it yet, as I got a $75 parking ticket while waiting for a young man to come out of a restaurant (took him there to put in an application). I put it in park, and while the car was running, a police officer pulled up and gave me a parking ticket. Ironically, he was "parked" in his driver's seat and refused to get out of his car to give it to me. So, parking tickets (apparently) are expensive where I live. And I don't want to get my bike towed- legally or otherwise!

Wow- great thoughts. I really appreciate it. If I'm using a lock w/proximity sensor, alarm, or something of the sort, what sort of lock do you recommend/use currently, etc.? I wouldn't mind putting $$ into a lock that is loud and obnoxious. Xena XX14 for a busa (or something better)? Their website doesn't seem to have a working link for Suzukis for fitment.

I purchased the XX6 and it fits both Gen I's and Gen II's (on the outer rotor ring). It is very sensitive. A slight touch or movement and it goes off. I also bought it bright yellow for 2 reasons. Anyone can see it if they approach the bike (deterrent) and it reminds me that it is there (bad day if you try to ride off with it on). Xena also has a printable template on their site to help you measure. Here is the link

» XENA Disc-Lock Doctor XENA Security Disc Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters

That being said, as others have mentioned, if someone wants the bike bad enough nothing will stop them. Here is a link to a recent theft posted on this board. He had a Xena lock too but it didn't stop the theft.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...86123-sucks-im-so-sad-my-baby-taken-me-2.html

My recommendation is to get insurance and do what you can that is within your budget to make it harder to steal. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. Also don't broadcast what you have. My motorcycle is always covered, especially if I have people working at my house. Just my .02 cents.

JPunisher

I've been following that thread- too bad what happened to that guy. Sounds like it was either an inside job or someone has been watching and planning for a while. But, that's what made me start wondering again where people park. I don't think a Xena lock will automatically rule out a theft, but it certainly makes the thief work harder for it. I always use the steering lock as well. Truly, if someone wants my bike badly enough, they are going to take it, which is why I try as best as I can to make sure that, if I do go inside somewhere, I am in eyesight of my bike.

I'm getting some very clear messages from this forum, other forums, and this particular thread:
EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

I hear and understand that security is important, and layering is important. Where I park, I think, is just one more layer. A Xena lock would help, steering lock would help. Just wondering if people get away with parking in places other than a parking lot.

(Thanks, by the way, for the great info!)

I've been following that thread- too bad what happened to that guy. Sounds like it was either an inside job or someone has been watching and planning for a while. But, that's what made me start wondering again where people park. I don't think a Xena lock will automatically rule out a theft, but it certainly makes the thief work harder for it. I always use the steering lock as well. Truly, if someone wants my bike badly enough, they are going to take it, which is why I try as best as I can to make sure that, if I do go inside somewhere, I am in eyesight of my bike.

I'm getting some very clear messages from this forum, other forums, and this particular thread:
EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

I hear and understand that security is important, and layering is important. Where I park, I think, is just one more layer. A Xena lock would help, steering lock would help. Just wondering if people get away with parking in places other than a parking lot.

(Thanks, by the way, for the great info!)

Yes. I agree it sucks when someone gets their bike stolen, I hope he finds it in good condition and that those responsible are held accountable. I still intend to use my lock and I don't want to discourage anyone from getting one. It's just like you said, you need to layer security. I just don't believe that there is a product out there that will prevent all thefts. I also park my bike within view but in the event of a theft, I think that instead of trying to stop the theft, it might be better to use the opportunity to record the theft and call the police. You don't know the state of mind in which the robbers are in, if they are armed or how far they will go to get you bike. At the end of the day you only have one life. A motorcycle can be replaced. Again, I rely on insurance to be my ultimate security system.

JPunisher

Back