First time on the drag strip with my stage one turbo.

dane789

Registered
Okay.....I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or happy. This was the first time my Velocity stage one/gen one busa has ever seen a drag strip (Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove Wisconsin Saturday Aug 21st). I know that with practice the times will improve so I'll just roll with it at this point. Had a lot of problems launching....the rear wheel kept wanting to break loose even after the bike was moving. It was 88 degrees with 92% humidity YUCK !!

-02 Hayabusa 13k miles, stock engine internals with a bolt on stage one turbo kit by Velocity (6lbs of boost, 240 h.p. tuned by Elton Fish @ EFR racing)
-6 inch stretched swingarm, bike is lowered 1.25 inches in the front, about 2 inches in the rear
-19/43 sprockets, also has the Brocks clutch mod
-175 lb rider

really......nothing else, no air shifter, no water injection or intercooler, It's just a basic busa

Ran a best of 9.40 @ 150mph in the 1/4......most passes were 9.6-9.7 sec, 60 foot times were 1.7-2.0 sec

I'm going to buy a softer rear tire and give it another try in a month or so......

-Dan

not a racer myself yet but one day im sure ill get her on the track

i would lower your tire presure and see if that helps down maybe 28-30, get better grip

that with a turbo should be running faster i would think any how looks good and if you had fun thats all that matter for now !

any how rider safe , post some pics next time your at the track

keep working on that 60ft time and you will be flying in no time. every 10th off of your 60ft. is 2 10th's off your 1/4 mile time. with a little seat time im guessing you will be really close to getting in the 8's

With the 19/43 gearing, it's just winding out 3rd gear at the 1000 foot mark, I'm thinking about trying 18/43.......Any opinions?

With the 19/43 gearing, it's just winding out 3rd gear at the 1000 foot mark, I'm thinking about trying 18/43.......Any opinions?

Your only getting into 4th gear at the top? or are staying in 3rd? What rpms are launching and shifting at? An air shifter would really help alot. If you can get a "race" tire, Shinko ultra soft or Michelin Pilot1, those are good drag race tires. As far as gearing a 17t or 18t would be good but it will make it pop the front up,but that can be controlled by slipping the clutch or lowering the launch rpms. Not to bad starting out.Keep working at it it the et's will come down. Good luck and have fun.

What I can tell you is what I had with my stage1 turbo @234hp.Gearing was17/43 ,6" over arm, lowered same as yours, front strapped,Brock's clutch mod and Brock's h-Duty clutch springs. I was 225lb and went 8.87@162mph with only 1.60's 60fts.on a Shinko U-soft rear tire.

-BigGDaddyBusa08,

Yes.....Shifting into 4rth at the very very end of the track, seems like a waste to even shift into 4rth at that point. That's why I'm thinking of other sprocket combos. Sad to say that launch RPM's and shift point RPM's were probably inconsistent ........short shifted on a few passes, over-reved at least once....Gotta get the hang of it !!!! I see an air shifter in the near future :o)

Try a 18t front. I run a 18/42. My bike traps 167mph, but it makes a bit more than 240hp. The gear change will help your 60ft. times also.

Are you bogging at te start? You have to rev the rpms to just below the rpm that the turbo kicks in. Make sure that you are locking out. Most people think that they are locking out when they are really not.

Work on the basics with the bike on the kickstand. Practice on arm position, body lean, foot placement, clutch and throttle repeatability, and body tucking. Then while keeping all of that the same, try an rpm point like 5500 and play with the tire pressure by starting around 20psi. Make laps while logging changes and times. Only change 1 thing per lap. then when your times are consistant and seemed maxed out you can start to really knock chunks of time off by adjusting the shock settings to make the bike squat on the launch and rebound at the right rate. Suspension and clutch setup on a bike is the difference between a fast lap and a quick lap. Thats why a 190hp bike with a $3200 clutch and a $1800 shock will leap off the line 4 or 5 bike lengths on a 250hp streetbike. The key to getting the most from your power and chassis is making laps while repeating the basics and changing 1 thing at a time. You should be like a machine naturally do the basics without having to think about the physical part, only rpm points and reacting on the light.

Back