Completed my first season on a Gen1 turbo

dane789

Registered
Well guys, the season is over for me. It's time to put my busa to sleep for the winter months. I have owned 3 Gen 1's so far and this has been my first year with a turbo charged one. I have to admit I was concerned about taking the plunge, I read a lot of horror stories about constant repairs and lack of reliability, meltdowns... ect . I did tons of research before pulling the trigger on a purchase and I am happy to say........GENTLEMAN, IT"S WORTH IT !!!!!
I experienced a few minor hiccups with overheating, sprocket combo's, oil not returning to the pan correctly and even a few clutch issues, it did take a little time to get the bugs out of it. At this point, I have no regrets. I have a great street bike that I can take anywhere without concern. I highly recommend a turbo if you have the itch for more power. Thanks to Frank @ Powerhouse and Greg @ Boost by Smith and to Daniel @ Cloud 9 for their never ending support.

-2002 w/ a velocity stage one (240 hp on pump gas,tuned by EFR race)
-Genmar bar risers
-adjustable rear lowering links
-Corbin seats with a mini rear back rest off a Harley
-2" drop foot pegs from Ebay (yes, I said "TWO INCH" drop) (awesome)
-rear luggage rack
-RC wheels
-Brocks clutch mod and cushion (Brock was very helpful in the set-up)
-slave support bracket
-Cycle-tech CO2 shifter (many thanks Matt)
-6" stretch on a GSXR600 arm
-GPR steering stabilizer (thanks Randy for the custom mod)

those are close to my set up...what fuel did you run...pump, vp, or other brand / octane? Did you run it prior to getting the 6 over arm...enough to compare what you can push it harder with the 6 over? Last one...what sproket combo did you like the best? Any info is appreciated

I feel the same you just can't beat a turbo
the only thing I am doing this year is to undercut the trans
she wants to pop out of 2nd

Ryc1966...Its tuned for 93 octane pump gas, I often add a little 100 octane race fuel as a precaution but I'm told I don't need to. I have not run the bike with its turbo installed on a factory length arm, but I do like that I can blast off from a stop with out fear of my bike becoming a human fly swatter. LOL I ran 19/43 sprockets all summer. I just changed to 18/43 after a trip to the dragstrip (see my previous posts) but I really wont be able to test it out till spring.....I do like the way the bike handles around town (stop and go) with the 18/43 combo

-Dan

Back