First service

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok I have hit 600 miles already and need to take it in for service. But they charge 150!!!!! I am POSITIVE I can do what ever they do . What is normally involved? I know new oil and filter...but to they put in a new air filter, plugs..? what is involved. cause i do not want to spend 60 for each hour they work on my bike!!

thanks

Without going into detail, all they do is:
oil
oil filter
clean and readjust chain
check for loose fasteners and bolts

Learn to do it yourself. Do a serach here for details!

Ok I have hit 600 miles already and need to take it in for service. But they charge 150!!!!! I am POSITIVE I can do what ever they do . What is normally involved? I know new oil and filter...but to they put in a new air filter, plugs..? what is involved. cause i do not want to spend 60 for each hour they work on my bike!!

thanks
Get out your manual. There is a little more than just the few things described by the other post here. There is a checklist you go down that details everything. Here is what i can think of off the top of my head

Change oil and filter
Check Chassis nuts and bolts
Clean and adjust chain
Check idle speed
Check throttle cable play
Make sure coolant is good
Inspect the air filter
Check clutch and brake fluid levels
Inspect tire wear

ummmm thats all I can think of. But check the manual in case

thanks
$150, that is $90 cheaper than here. Anyways, they replaced some sort of gasket in mine.
rock.gif
??

First time service is the biggest rippoff ever. only thing they actually do is oil/filter change and tighten bolts and chain. everything else is a spot checking fluid levels. duh... 600 miles air filter and tires and plugs should be good to go. 190 to 250 smackers for about 30 mins of work are you kidding!
rock.gif
But all the weekend riders pay it.
tounge.gif

First time service is the biggest rippoff ever. only thing they actually do is oil/filter change and tighten bolts and chain. everything else is a spot checking fluid levels. duh... 600 miles air filter and tires and plugs should be good to go. 190 to 250 smackers for about 30 mins of work are you kidding!
rock.gif
But all the weekend riders pay it.
tounge.gif
Hell, yea...except you're lucky if they even bother to change the oil filter. Big thread in here around a year ago about a guy who changed his oil at a couple hundred miles and installed a FRAM oil filter. He still took the bike in for the 600 mile service, got a several hundred dollar bill and it still had the same aftermarket FRAM filter in it.

Any guy that knows a sparkplug from a buttplug will be doing his own oil changes and chain adjustments. That's part of owning a motorcycle and shouldn't even be a factor when considering the 600 mile maintenance.

As far as the other stuff is concerned. Checking the idle takes all of 1 second to glance at the tach. Throttle freeplay about 2 seconds to put your hand on the throttle. Brake and clutch fluid, about 1 seconds for each site glass.
Tires wear about 2 seconds per tire. Add another second to look at the level in the coolant overflow bottle. No time for the air cleaner as nobody in their right mind is going to bother with only 600 miles on the bike.
Then 10 minutes to check the torque on critical bolts by doing it the right way with a torque wrench.

So basically you have your normal maintenance plus 11 minutes worth of checking that the dealer wouldn't have done anyways.

Total cost with filter and oil, $35 tops. Job is done right and the dealer grease monkey didn't get to scratch the hell out of your plastics.
smile.gif

Seriously, what some people pay in service at the dealer, they could easily buy a very nice toolset and lifts. Spend quality time learning more about hobby they are passionate for then just riding the bike.

exactly, I did all my work on my KX250 I mean everything to top end rebuild to changing fork seals and oil...There are always places you can go to learn to do it yourself...I will be saving myself 120 bucks for a mod and spend the 35 bucks and do this myself, thank you for your input guys.

I almost enjoy working on my busa as much as riding, and I know the work is done right, and some mechanic is not out beating the piss out of my bike!

Back