Desend Service

Tian

Registered
Good Day and happy Friday!

So my bike is getting close to her 50 000km service.... And i am just wondering if i am doing my services well or if i may be missing somethings....

Each 5 000km i do oil and oil filter
each 15 000km i do plugs with and cleaning out the airfilter if it appears to be dirty (K&N air filter)
each 20 000km i would bleed the clutch and brakes with the oil change and also flush the radiator....

Is this the right way for me to continue? Is there something else that needs to be done?

A freind of mine told me to service the clutch. Just to open the cover, fill a little bottle with an injection nosle of my normal engin oil, remove the plates and oil each one and inserting them the exact way they came out... He said the clutches runs dry after a while. But as far as i know that only happens when you run too thick oil like Shell Helix 15/20 W 40/50 not when full synthetic oil 10W40 is been running in your motor?

Should i do that to my clutch or is it not really necessary?
According to me the gear shifting is smooth and soft most of the time if my clutch was to be dry it would not have been so smooth?

Well, all I can say is what's worked for me over the years. 5,000km = 3,100 miles which, with synthetic oil is way too soon and a waste of oil. I run Amsoil and change it every 5,000 miles or so. I use an OEM air filter on the Busa but on my CBX I use a K&N and clean and re oil every 7,500 miles or so depending on the conditions (heavy dust or sand blowing) for example. As for plugs, they last a good long time these days. At 66,000+ miles I'm only on my 2nd set. I've also only changed the brake fluid and coolant once. About the clutch advice, I've never heard of removing and re oiling a wet clutch. During assembly of a new clutch pack, oil soaking the friction plates is wise but I've never heard of removing used clutch plates to re oil them. BTW, in this thread title, are you misspelling 'decent'?:D Good luck!

Yeah, that's a wet clutch, meaning it runs in oil. As CBXRider said, you soak new clutch plates in oil. After that, they are in oil.
Taking them out to oil them makes no sense at all.

Okay.... Thats what i thought 2.... Just wanted to make extra sure. Thanks guys!
But otherwise the way i am doing my services is fine, right?

@CBX yeah i was debating my self whether to use a "c" or "s" hahahaha I still have "English" training lessons:lol:

(Forgot to mention each 500km i lube my chain and each 1500/2000km i wash my chain with chain cleaner or engin cleaner, wash it of then with water, rub it then till no dirt shows on a clean throw away cloth, then lube it again.....)-guess that falls more under maintenance as service unless you can call it a chain service lol

Also, another thing, is there a specific km time to do things like valve clearances/replacing engin bearings/timing chain and pulley tensioners etc?

Kerosene is great for cleaning chains.
Dupont Teflon chain wax is a great chain lube, and it doesn't sling off once the chain is moving.

With that mileage, I would replace the sprockets if you haven't yet. I am sure they are worn pretty good, and of course with the sprockets a new chain.

@sixpack577 , I will check if i can find some of those locally.

@atlbusa, Yes sir, i did replace them about 3 000km ago... This is the 3rd set of chain and sprockets the bike got on now... I replace those each 20 000-25 000km depending on the wear but no more than 25 000km pushing it...

heck.. u could pull the heqa
@sixpack577 , I will check if i can find some of those locally.

@atlbusa, Yes sir, i did replace them about 3 000km ago... This is the 3rd set of chain and sprockets the bike got on now... I replace those each 20 000-25 000km depending on the wear but no more than 25 000km pushing it...
engine bearings? stockish bikes have gone 200000 miles without being torn down... u should fix that leak u had though... (or make plans to)... before u end up with oil on ure back tire...

Working on that leak yes-just waiting on that shaft to get done then i will be fitting it.....
Luckily for now the leak is still very little and slow. Topped up oil about a month ago just a tiny bit above the Full Mark-driving everyday and the level barely dropped. So i just hope it will stay this way until that damn shaft arrives.

I had a 2002 busa... very lowered at the time... and I was riding 2-up near NYC.. I hit a pothole and I punched a hole right through the oil pan.... BAAAAAM... immediate smoke show from oil on exhaust... then I tried to get over to the side of the road... and that was when I realized that I had oil on the tire also...... scary feeling with ZERO traction in back... riding 2-up... it doesn't take much oil either... just be cautious

I had a 2002 busa... very lowered at the time... and I was riding 2-up near NYC.. I hit a pothole and I punched a hole right through the oil pan.... BAAAAAM... immediate smoke show from oil on exhaust... then I tried to get over to the side of the road... and that was when I realized that I had oil on the tire also...... scary feeling with ZERO traction in back... riding 2-up... it doesn't take much oil either... just be cautious

Damn! Thats a bad one! I will definitly be cautious especially now that i've read this... Also laying a bit low on weekend trips and so on till i get the bike sorted. I hope this will be in the next 2 weeks or so at most.

Good Day and happy Friday!

So my bike is getting close to her 50 000km service.... And i am just wondering if i am doing my services well or if i may be missing somethings....

Each 5 000km i do oil and oil filter
each 15 000km i do plugs with and cleaning out the airfilter if it appears to be dirty (K&N air filter)
each 20 000km i would bleed the clutch and brakes with the oil change and also flush the radiator....

Is this the right way for me to continue? Is there something else that needs to be done?

A freind of mine told me to service the clutch. Just to open the cover, fill a little bottle with an injection nosle of my normal engin oil, remove the plates and oil each one and inserting them the exact way they came out... He said the clutches runs dry after a while. But as far as i know that only happens when you run too thick oil like Shell Helix 15/20 W 40/50 not when full synthetic oil 10W40 is been running in your motor?

Should i do that to my clutch or is it not really necessary?
According to me the gear shifting is smooth and soft most of the time if my clutch was to be dry it would not have been so smooth?
At that ks you would expect both chain and sprockets too, I get mine done through a Suzuki shop so the warranty is still valid, true dumping the oil every 6000ks is annoying but it's what happens. At 5ooooks they will do valve clearance checks again as per schedule, plugs will be checked if replaced they cost me approximately $30 each.

20180324_070931.jpg

20180324_070922.jpg

Okay.... Thats what i thought 2.... Just wanted to make extra sure. Thanks guys!
But otherwise the way i am doing my services is fine, right?

@CBX yeah i was debating my self whether to use a "c" or "s" hahahaha I still have "English" training lessons:lol:

(Forgot to mention each 500km i lube my chain and each 1500/2000km i wash my chain with chain cleaner or engin cleaner, wash it of then with water, rub it then till no dirt shows on a clean throw away cloth, then lube it again.....)-guess that falls more under maintenance as service unless you can call it a chain service lol

English training sessions? I can't imagine trying to type in another language. What's your native language? I know a little Spanish but if I had to learn another language, I'd flunk the course! I might travel abroad if learning another language seemed easy but...there's still plenty of country to explore right here. As for chain maintenance, on tour I lube it at the end of a day's riding or around 500 miles not kms. 'Over' maintenance won't hurt a thing but is really unnecessary.

At that ks you would expect both chain and sprockets too, I get mine done through a Suzuki shop so the warranty is still valid, true dumping the oil every 6000ks is annoying but it's what happens. At 5ooooks they will do valve clearance checks again as per schedule, plugs will be checked if replaced they cost me approximately $30 each.

View attachment 1580116

View attachment 1580118

You have to pay $30 (each) for plugs? Do you live on Mars? If there's a way to buy and send a set to you that's cheaper just let me know.

View attachment 1580116

View attachment 1580118

Damn.... I was afraid valve clearance might be necessary.... Suzuki Namibia cant do that for me. ( i anyway are not welcome there-lol)
So closest shop that might be able to help me is 1000km away just over the border in South Africa. I will make some calls Monday and see who might be able to help and get a quote for the job.

(Plugs i replace every 15000km whether they are still good or not.
Sprockets and chain replaced about 3000km ago so there i am still fine for a while.)
Thanks for the photos!
Is valve clearance an important thing to do?

English training sessions? I can't imagine trying to type in another language. What's your native language? I know a little Spanish but if I had to learn another language, I'd flunk the course! I might travel abroad if learning another language seemed easy but...there's still plenty of country to explore right here. As for chain maintenance, on tour I lube it at the end of a day's riding or around 500 miles not kms. 'Over' maintenance won't hurt a thing but is really unnecessary.

It was on a long distance tour i learned to lube every 500km from a guy traveling with us.... i was still new in biking and did not know better so i brought lubing every 500km over to daily driving too. My one trip meter is for lube indication. When it does happen that i go over my 500 mark say at around between 700&800km it feels like the chain becomes dry if it make sense?

I speak Afrikaans language my freind. So i think in afrikaans then translate it in my head to english. Same when i read your messages, i translate it word for word and use google if something is difficult to translate like decend service and the way i wrote it as desend service and google tells me descent service..... lol!

Valve clearance IS very important at 50K probably 1 or 2 (maybe more) could be at the lower end of spec and would need increasing, if a mechanic said 'its still in spec' thats not good enough on this type of maintenance.
It will be an overnighter for you as the bike needs to be cold to do this job properly and reasonably expensive but it should be good for at least another 50k.
Your iridium plugs will have the same life at least id imagine (50k)

I would be inspecting/cleaning your airfliter at the sametime as your oil & filter change interval .

I clean my chain and sprockets with Kerosene also, unless your commuting or live in a harsh riding area (dusty) 25k isnt alot of kms on a set of C&S.

:beerchug: Cantab

honestly guys.... how reliable is the hayabusa valvetrain? I have extremely rarely seen anything out of spec.... and if so... its at high high mileage.... however... letting JOE BLOW take apart your beautiful gen2 hayabusa WILL cause issues/leaks.... leave that baby ALONE... don't overthink this..

and if its extremely hot where u live... replace coolant with ENGINE ICE and leave it for the rest of your life.

Back