First oil and filter change tips please.

No.2of20

Registered
Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well.

I have my fairings off my 2019.
Thought it would be an ideal time to do an oil change.
I am thinking of using Ecstar 9000 and oem filter just to keep it legal.
My bike has a full Yoshi system and gotta say there isnt much room for fingers or whatever to get the filter off and on.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Shane.

200.gif

Cover the headers with aluminum foil to catch the oil drips.
Put a little bit of oil on the filter o-ring to keep it from tearing or sticking to the block.
Even though the filter is horizontal, you can still pour a little oil into it before spinning it on, this will help build oil pressure quicker.
Tighten the filter by hand, no tools.

On the Gen 2's there's a return line you can remove that grants you a bit more access [EDIT: access to the filter].
Here's the only decent pic I could quickly find of the line in question. Looking in from the R side of the bike.
Just those 2 hex bolts, maybe a dribble of oil
Hope this helps
IMG_2959.JPG

On the Gen 2's there's a return line you can remove that grants you a bit more access [EDIT: access to the filter].
Here's the only decent pic I could quickly find of the line in question. Looking in from the R side of the bike.
Hope this helps
View attachment 1654312
I have the same filter :thumbsup:
K&N filters also have a nut welded on the end of them, which makes removal so much easier.

Hope this helps
View attachment 1654312
That oil hose is the one I always remove to allow access to the filter, and to remove the filter and slip the new one through the gap.

Cheers BB.
Hey could I ask if fairings can be taken off and put back on independently?
I undid left and removed left inside plastic inner shield (right hand side of radiator looking at the front of radiator/front wheel) then the right hand side fairing,belly pan and the rest the radiator surround plastic.
Do I need to go just how I too it off?
So it would be right side on,right side inner plastics,belly pan,left side on,left side inner plastics.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

hamd tighten until o ring contacts engine the go about 3/4 more. make sure o ring is lubed up. i always pre soak the filter with oil before installing. on the oem filter, i fill it up about 3/4 full then let it soak into the filter media before installing. i also wipe the mating surface with a clean towel to make sure the filter o ring has a clean surface to seal against.

Cheers PCS..
As Kiwi said it would be easier to undo the pipe from the oil cooler in front of the filter to get it out.
Guys do you bother draining the oil cooler when you do an oil change?
Will I have any trouble if I unbolt both oil cooler pipes from the engine?
Will o rings fall apart or anything like that?
Cheers.

Cheers PCS..
As Kiwi said it would be easier to undo the pipe from the oil cooler in front of the filter to get it out.
Cheers.
I've never had to take that line off...I can wiggle the filter in and out past it, if you can, take a picture of yours.

Cheers BB.
I think I might be able to wiggle it out as well.
It would just be really easy with that line undone.
Dont worry I would rather not unbolt anything I don't have too.

Cheers BB.
I think I might be able to wiggle it out as well.
It would just be really easy with that line undone.
Dont worry I would rather not unbolt anything I don't have too.
That's my motto, the less I take off the better, with my luck I'd strip something or tear an O ring...

I can change filters without taking that line off...

Cheers PCS..
Cheers.
with my brocks exhaust i had to disconnect the oil line to get filter in. i have replace the o ring as a precaution since my gen 2 is 10 years old.

I've never had to take that line off...I can wiggle the filter in and out past it, if you can, take a picture of yours.
depends on the exhaust, the stock filter wiggles through the oem header but not through the brock’s. the k/n didnt fit through the brocks either. i tried a fram (smh) filter and that fit through the brocks and stock header.

depends on the exhaust, the stock filter wiggles through the oem header but not through the brock’s. the k/n didnt fit through the brocks either. i tried a fram (smh) filter and that fit through the brocks and stock header.
I guess I lucked out with my Yosh system as I can get the filter on and off with a little wiggling..

A difference in exhausts never occurred to me...

Back