Fellow friend/board member -- rider down (update)

jlcutler

Registered
Hello everyone.

Wow, your responses are overwhelming.  This seems to be a great, close knit community.

My wife and I went to see Tony today at lunch.  He was still in the ICU room, but I think part of that was because there were no other rooms to move him to.  That is probably better though, in my opinion, he will get better care in the ICU ward.  

Also, in my opinion, he fared reasonable well for a motorcycle accident.  The primary injury is to his right leg.  There are other cuts, bumps, scrapes and bruises, etc, but all relatively minor.  His right leg is in pretty bad shape.  They had to insert rods into his upper leg (thigh bone) and his lower leg (shin bone) to stabilize it and his knee.  This is where the majority of the damage is and I guess it is pretty severe.  He will have to have more surgeries on and around his knee once the swelling reduces and the damage can be fully assessed.  There is/was some vascular damage, either from the accident or possibly from the rod attachment surgery, but the veins and blood flow all seem to be back to status normal.

I am still not real clear on the circumstances surrounding the accident itself.  To the best of my understanding, he was in a neighborhood, just pulling out from his father's driveway.  As he was approaching an intersection to turn left (I believe), a vehicle (car or truck, I can't remember) turned left and was coming at him.  Tony maneuvered out of the way of the oncoming vehicle and was forced swerve.  Unfortunately, there was a parked car on the street in his path.  The rear tire started to skid / slide and Tony and "Busa" collided with the parked car.  Fortunately, he was so close to his father's house.  He actually got up and walked around immediately afterward, until everyone started yelling at him to lay down, get down, lie still, etc., etc.

I did not think it appropriate to ask him many questions about the bike itself, nor do I think that he would actually know all that much.  I do know that it is at his father's house, for the time being.  I also did not think it appropriate to ask too many questions about whether he thinks that he will ride again; you know that old "get back up on the horse again" mantra.

I will share with you some of the more specifics about Tony aka "Tonyy1"

His full name is Anthony "Tony" Sumner.
He lives in Hampton, VA.
His address is 32 Westview Drive, Hampton VA 23666

He is currently at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
1060 First Colonial Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
(757) 395-8000 - Main number
(757) 395-8197 - Intensive Care Unit

He is/was in ICU #2, bed / room #3.  

Unfortunately, I never got the direct line phone number to his room.  I am sorry.

I hope this helps to allay some fears and some worries.  Again I am overwhelmed by the support and genuine caring put forth by the members here.  I do not have a motorcycle, so ordinarily I would not have ever been introduced (even if just in cyberspace) to any of you.  You all seem like a great bunch of folks and I will try and print out the message threads for Tony to read.

I hope to go see him again tomorrow afternoon, so I will continue to share and update as I can.

Thank you all for reading.

Good night,
Jimmy

Thanks for the update Jimmy. Let Tony know we are praying for him and he is in our thoughts.

Thanks for the info Jimmy
biggrin.gif

Tony get well soon
wink.gif

Jimmy,
i live within 20 minutes of sentara hospital and would like to come by the hospital and see tony. if he isn't up to seeing guest i would like to call him when he has a room phone. let me know if its okay with tony and his family. you can email me at gwhunran@gmail.com or call me at home at 757-431-1127.

Richard

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated Jimmy
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the update, Jimmy. Thoughts and prayers to Tony for a speedy recovery!

Jimmy thanx for the udate. Your a great friend, and Tony get well soon. Your a great asset to this family and we all look forward to your return. Prayers still going out to you and your family.

Joe

Tony,

Based on previous posts you have the will and attitude to get through this. It sounds like you have good support from family and friends. Hang in there buddy. My prayers are with you and your family. Look forward to seeing your posts in a few weeks.

Oh.... And the hospital food, it only gets worse with time. Yell and we'll have a pizza delivered!
smile.gif

Thanks for the update Jimmy.
Make sure and tell Tony, if he needs anything at all to let his brothers know.
And I do mean anything......... from your post, it sounds like he has some really good people around him. And that is a wonderful thing in this time we live in.

Thanks again Jimmy for the update.
Please keep us posted.

Dave....

talked to tony on the phone a few minutes ago. he is still in an icu room. he seems to be in good spirits. i will keep in touch with him. he said his friend jimmy will keep posting for him until he is able to do so himself.

richard

Back