Fat tire kits

IL CAPO

Registered
What would be the best fat tire stretch and size tire. Not much for carving but i still wanna hit corners once in a while...i heard that u get a whobble with 300's so i was wondering do u get that with a 250???grateful for any feedback......

If the kit is done right there should be no wobble. There is a lot of discussion on this subject on the board just pull the search function and start reading around. Asking this question around here seams to generate a lot of personal opinion and tends to get off the topic of the original question. My personal opinion is the 250 kit is best of both worlds look and function. Whatever you decide as long as you put the research time in you will be alright. Good luck and welcome to the .org:welcome:

Yep..well said.
240s are a great mix of both the sweet faty and the everyday street bike. ONe chain to keep after and can still be very aggressive rider in the twisties.

300..never heard of a wobble? Has two chains to always keep after tension.
330..MY favorite:laugh: Take alot of effort to work it in the twisties, but fine for normal street riding. 330 can NOT be spin ballanced by a machine. NO one has a shaft long enough for the 12inch wide hub. Ceramic bead balancing incerted in tire for balancing but not a true ballance job if you love the 160+ speeds.
360s..huge and another style of riding.

OH...for all those out there.....:please: keep this to the topic asked.

Wobble? I've never had a problem with my bike at all. I'm stretched 8 with a turbo and have gone 150 plus regularly and not a bit of problems. It all boils down to opinion, and ultimately what makes u happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

when the big tires kits first began, many guys complained of a "lobing" and rears were hard if not near impossible to balance properly. (This was pre 300mm btw)

When people looked into it, the actually problem was in the tire. Material varied throughout the carrass and made them hard to balance.

Threw this together in 2002 for a guy...one of the first vtx 240 kits.

Picture_074.jpg

It ran okay. It could corner but took tons of work and was VERY slow to transition versus stock. He replaced the tire 2 years later and the tire balanced out with less than a third of the weight in 2002. Now of course technology came a ways in 2 years also. We went from the ancient spin till it stops method to an actual computerized balancer. (which I honestly wouldn't say makes such a difference IMHO)

anyway, when you decide on a tire. Make sure you are using the proper rim size and the proper thread pattern. A 300 will give you limits a 240 won't, same logic with a 330 vs a 300 or a 360 vs 330. The longer of a stretch you go, the more pronounced any wobbles or vibrations will be.

Rigid chopper guys were notorious for running their rear fatties low on psi to absorb bumps, create a bigger contact patch...and I personally think they did it to make the tire look even fatter...which it will as the contact patch grows.

A proper setup should not wobble....but if it does, good luck finding it.

Tru...A Bud has a 1000 with a 300 Avon. He had issues getting it balanced. Avon and him shipped back and forth 3 tires untill one was ballance with ease.

Just like truck tires...Wifes H3 and my F150 both have same tire ( Terra Grapplers on 22s. Hers to none to light weight, but mine took a stick each of weight to balance them.

i love when people share what knowledge they have to help others' gain more insight into something:beerchug:
great explanation S4L:thumbsup:not much else needs to be added, that pretty much sums up what the stretch/fat-tire effect will/wont do.

def wouldn't go larger than a 240. I put about 10K miles on my 240 kit and it was all types of riding conditions. I like a little of everything and do not just do 1 dominant style of riding. I would run the Pirelli Diablo tire also, it wears out faster but is a much better gripping tire than the metzeler me 880 i first had

Thanks for the help and yeah after posting this i found other posts about it...fairly new to bikes only had mine for about a year so learn sum new all the time...yeah first bike was a busa (stupid...crazy or just a good deal havent figured that out yet) but again thankx for the help!!!

Just keep reading man you will be amazed at how much information in on the site. Next thing you know you will be dropping engines and checking valve lashings.....If your into that sort of thing. Good luck bud

so is talkin smack about other members' bikes:whistle:
just reciting :rulez: for the newb-dont want him to get ostracized his first month here:beerchug:

Busa as a first bike isnt a bad idea per se-just respect the ride, n watch out for crazy cagers w/cell phones stuck to their heads:poke:

so is talkin smack about other members' bikes:whistle:
just reciting :rulez: for the newb-dont want him to get ostracized his first month here:beerchug:

Busa as a first bike isnt a bad idea per se-just respect the ride, n watch out for crazy cagers w/cell phones stuck to their heads:poke:
+ 1 on that

i have a 240 on my bike and i think its the best of both worlds, one chain, and can still get in the curves (to a point)

Back