Fat Lads.... get your suspension sorted as number one mod for bike

Jza

Registered
I have just seen the light after 7 years of Gen 2 ownership...

Finally had front springs to match weight, new front piston kit and re-valve on rear shock carried out by K-Tech in the UK. All to match my weight (heavy :moon:)

FYI K-Tech have just created a new Gen 2 piston kit which should be available at your K-Tech dealer soon...

She's still a big old bird my Busa but boy she's a lot nicer to ride now ... much less banging about over ruts and bumps, nearly zero dive on the brakes (it's like riding my wife's BFP shocks on her 750)... mid corner i hardly notice the bumps that would have had me slowing down before.... much less weight transfer on and off the throttle....

I wont have to pay my Chiropractor anywhere near the same amount any longer!!!!!

The lesson i have learned... When you buy a bike and you are 250lbs + ... don't buy an exhaust or trendy rear-set, go and get the suspension sorted first... it makes a HUGE difference.. one you'll notice for the rest of ownership

And i've only been riding on cold winter days when the oil wont get very warm.. it'll get even better come summer!!!

Jza

i don't know? i'm 250lbs and qualify(fat lad) but i just followed some suspension videos Tuffbusa was selling a while back and the bike handles me well in the corners. thought about doing a little work in the forks to stiffin them up a bit down the road.:thumbsup:

I got mine set up the other year at Wheelers at Deals Gap and it handles great. But now I'm doing more sport touring than I ever was and am thinking of re-doing it. It's a little stiff for cruising. :down:

Just to say, i'd done the stag / messed about with the setting as per Jinxster etc etc before... so i'm comparing what was supposedly a well set up bike with the new setup.

I thought i had a well sorted bike...

But its Night and Day....

You THINK its ok (i did but watching / reading Dave Moss stuff convinced me to take the plunge)... but then ride it after its been sorted properly and your like "WOW" :)

I wish i was near some of you so you could try it... i guess im asking you to trust me... its worth it!!!

Jza

GsxrBots, Before you go back to softer springs, just try going softer on the compression and rebound a few clicks at a time. My general rule of thumb on the Busa is two clicks softer all around for rebound and compression when the roads are bumpy or if I am not riding hard. I've found that a little fiddling with the basic suspension settings is my cheap version of Dynamic Dampening. Only cost is a flathead screwdriver. It sounds as if you already installed the proper spring weight for your weight and riding style so to go back to sagged out springs for a soft ride doesn't sound like the answer. It may be softer but not necessarily safer. Good luck

The point that i'd make is no amount of compression / damping fiddling will take away from the fact that you need to match the springs to your weight if you are the extremes of what pre-load adjustment can do for you... anything else is a compromise.

I'd have to say upgrading the soft ware (Nut behind the bars) is the number one improvement most needed for fat lads as well as HWP riders.

Stiffer suspension gives more crisp handling making the bike more responsive while softer suspension is more compliant and forgiving.

what is the average body weight the stock stuff will be able to be tuned to before you have to get different springs etc?

what is the average body weight the stock stuff will be able to be tuned to before you have to get different springs etc?

Read up on setting up the correct sag for your suspension. My experience is that the fork springs are way too soft on a Busa. The rear springs are closer to the mark.

If you're heavier than 215-220 on a gen 1 or 230-240 on a gen 2 you will see a noticable improvement by optimizing spring rates. You get a little more lee-way if you've swapped to a lighter a/m exhaust.
(Try that one out on your financial adviser the next time you're trying to scrape up mod money). You can try to mask some handling ills if you're not too far over these weights, but you're missing out on a stable and predictable handling bike.

If you're heavier than 215-220 on a gen 1 or 230-240 on a gen 2 you will see a noticable improvement by optimizing spring rates. You get a little more lee-way if you've swapped to a lighter a/m exhaust.
(Try that one out on your financial adviser the next time you're trying to scrape up mod money). You can try to mask some handling ills if you're not too far over these weights, but you're missing out on a stable and predictable handling bike.

I agree, springs and valving in my 2003 along with a 2009 shock made a big difference in mine.

hahaha, fat lads got my attention. i'm down 30 lbs from when I bought my busa, but I've never been on a bike with well set up suspension, I guess I don't know what i'm missing. I got a quote from racetech, and it's reasonable, but the motor build comes first, I've been salivating over a 1397 for 3 years now, and I finally have the money set aside to do it.

I got quoted for springs and valves for both ends of the bike, installed.

Ogre, if you don't mind me asking, what was your quote? Mine is going in next week for everything you listed except the rear valve and I have no idea if what I'm paying is even in the ballpark.

Back