Epoxy garage floor of shame.

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Just finished building a new house and despite my builders warnings of epoxy floors peeling, I went ahead and did two garage floors which came out real pretty. Three weeks later and I have peeling. :banghead:

I did a garage floor in Arkansas with the el-cheapo stuff from Lowes and it was perfect, could pull steel jacks over the floor, no scratches.

So for the new house I went the expensive way, the most reputable supplier, $1,100 in materials and three days of my own work, following all the procedures, acid etched the new floors, checked for moisture, two part, flakes and top coat. And it peels ???.

Spoke with the vendor this morning, he suggests touching up, but I think I am going to have to grind both floors and start over.

The way my builder did these floors, were very smooth, almost a polished look using only concrete and floating. I think the floor was just not porous enough.

Learn from my mistakes, if you are going to do this, do 1 square foot first and check it out carefully a month later, before you proceed. I had success in Arkansas, but not in North Carolina. Both were new floors, this one I think was just finished too well. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

North East view[1].jpg

You are correct sir, a smooth floor will peel every time. Just another tip when it comes to floor epoxy, don't use the flake unless you really, really like it. If you ever drop a small screw or a push pin from you bike it will be gone for good. The flake is like camo for small objects. You will need a magnet or a broom to find anything.

OUCH!!!:banghead:
I would be so pissed! I had to take an orbital floor buffer and 100/120 grit paper to mine to get the old floor covering up. Then was able to apply the epoxy coating. I'm a fan of the camo!

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

+1000000 on the nice house, that place looks awesome.

Got anymore pics of it that you can share with us?

It's probaly the materials you used. There are all types of that stuff. Been a G C since 78. :beerchug:

I don't think it's the material but all the work the finisher did on the concrete.

Dont worry about it, that house is so nice, the floor probably will not get alot of atention:thumbsup:

That house is worthless now, Ill give the owner $2500 for it to help him out:laugh:

Least ya learnd from, guess ya need the other guy to do a crap job so your work will shine

Back