Garage flooring?

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I have a basement garage, 400 square feet, bare concrete floor.
I'de like to do something with the floor in a few months/warmer weather.
Paint always eventually peels.
My wife parks on one side, my tool boxes, work benches, etc are on the other side.
I want something durable, that I can roll a jack on, and not peel a coating.
Something that's not sticky, or bust your azz when it's wet, and without toxic fumes.
I can't spend $3k right now(can't justify that til After I buy my next bike) to have the concrete professionally polished and sealed.
Is there a piece together flooring kit that doesn't cost what polishing and sealing the floor would be?
I'm not looking for a $50 miracle, but any advice on what you have or had, or may have seen or used on a concrete garage floor.
No, I did not search.
Yes, I have read all the old garage floor threads.
Yes, I expect the org to do most of my research for me, lol.
Thanks

I researched for some time and decided to go with this stuff. I wasn’t sure how it was going to hold up against hot tires, so I bought a garage mat from Costco and cut it in 4 strips to protect the floor, but was pleased to see how tough this epoxy is after it cures. I constantly drop tools, drag my 2.5ton jack around the garage and sometimes drag my homemade workbench that doesn’t have wheels and weights 150lbs or so and have only scratched the coating, but that’s it. I’m very.... very impressed with it. I just got done changing a steering rack on my bothers sienna and floor looked like crap...... simply poured some degreaser, scrub it and rinse and it shines like the day I laid it down. The only thing I haven’t tested is how it would do with a jack that’s supporting a car’s weight, because my jack ends up sitting on one of the mat strips when I slide under my vehicles to jack it up, but I love This coating and hope it looks as good in 20years, as it does now at 4 years.

77525571-61C3-4C6E-8DEB-BAF41A14A8C8.jpeg

397F2D28-96E9-4151-AC90-28AC92F32103.jpeg

CEE01881-BB64-465E-A1E7-59F4CCE65FEF.png

2D2ED51D-941B-4A34-9DCD-F8BDD241C891.jpeg

191662E5-9590-4934-B4DD-4D98E0FE9059.jpeg

Budget to do it right. Anything besides locking tiles will require a top level grind.
Then you can do epoxy or whatever your choice.
Top 2 ideas I like
Acid stain the concrete, looks phenomenal
Second is tile.
Epoxy is ok but not a top choice.

Epoxy is your best bet. The problem with epoxy is it has to be done right and the materials need to be supplied by a professional manufacturer. Unfortunately most times that is not the way it turns out.

I researched for some time and decided to go with this stuff. I wasn’t sure how it was going to hold up against hot tires, so I bought a garage mat from Costco and cut it in 4 strips to protect the floor, but was pleased to see how tough this epoxy is after it cures. I constantly drop tools, drag my 2.5ton jack around the garage and sometimes drag my homemade workbench that doesn’t have wheels and weights 150lbs or so and have only scratched the coating, but that’s it. I’m very.... very impressed with it. I just got done changing a steering rack on my bothers sienna and floor looked like crap...... simply poured some degreaser, scrub it and rinse and it shines like the day I laid it down. The only thing I haven’t tested is how it would do with a jack that’s supporting a car’s weight, because my jack ends up sitting on one of the mat strips when I slide under my vehicles to jack it up, but I love This coating and hope it looks as good in 20years, as it does now at 4 years.

View attachment 1595900

View attachment 1595901

View attachment 1595902

View attachment 1595903

View attachment 1595904

That looks great!
That good a job for that long, and $114.
I think I'll give that a try.
Exactly the info I was looking for.
Thank you sir!

Did it have strong fumes until it dried, need a respirator to apply?

Last edited:
I like the idea of the tiles, but don't know how well a weighted jack would roll, or a bike on a Bursig stand.
More so, my wife parks on one side, and the rain water that drips off the car goes to 2 low spots on the other side into small pools.
There is no floor drain, so I sweep the water out with a wide, straight broom.
No big deal, the floor dries pretty quick after, but the water would stay under those tiles, and the garage would always be damp.

That looks great!
That good a job for that long, and $114.
I think I'll give that a try.
Exactly the info I was looking for.
Thank you sir!

Did it have strong fumes until it dried, need a respirator to apply?
No crazy fumes and no respirator needed. The 2.5 garage kit, was enough to do my large 3 car garage and I just bought a separate bag of the “flakes”, so I could add more. The section of the garage in the pics is basically 4 sections of concrete, so I divided those sections into 2. Painted half a square and added the flakes, painted the other half and added flakes and so on..... this allowed me to add the flakes without having to struggle throwing them from a distance across the garage and end up with uneven coverage.

I have a basement garage, 400 square feet, bare concrete floor.
I'de like to do something with the floor in a few months/warmer weather.
Paint always eventually peels.
My wife parks on one side, my tool boxes, work benches, etc are on the other side.
I want something durable, that I can roll a jack on, and not peel a coating.
Something that's not sticky, or bust your azz when it's wet, and without toxic fumes.
I can't spend $3k right now(can't justify that til After I buy my next bike) to have the concrete professionally polished and sealed.
Is there a piece together flooring kit that doesn't cost what polishing and sealing the floor would be?
I'm not looking for a $50 miracle, but any advice on what you have or had, or may have seen or used on a concrete garage floor.
No, I did not search.
Yes, I have read all the old garage floor threads.
Yes, I expect the org to do most of my research for me, lol.
Thanks

I use horse barn stall mats I get from Tractor Supply. They are 4x8ft. They are very heavy. You can move them around and I have used a floor mat on them. I park my van on them too. They are normally about $25.00 each.
IMG_5349.JPG

No crazy fumes and no respirator needed. The 2.5 garage kit, was enough to do my large 3 car garage and I just bought a separate bag of the “flakes”, so I could add more. The section of the garage in the pics is basically 4 sections of concrete, so I divided those sections into 2. Painted half a square and added the flakes, painted the other half and added flakes and so on..... this allowed me to add the flakes without having to struggle throwing them from a distance across the garage and end up with uneven coverage.

Great info, and a great looking garage.
I will be trying that in a couple months.
Thank you!!

Great info, and a great looking garage.
I will be trying that in a couple months.
Thank you!!
You are welcome! Remember to prep your concrete well. I ended even taking a grinder to one or 2 areas where the concrete’s top layer looked like it was peeling and ground the thin top area until I was on solid concrete. If you want to spend a little extra, you can get the sealer for this epoxy and apply that over it. I felt that mine was good enough without it, so I didn’t spend the extra cash for the sealer.

Just commenting for my future reference! I too am doing this in the spring. The idiots i bought my house from used water base paint! Im so pissed. I had no idea and didnt ask.

Just commenting for my future reference! I too am doing this in the spring. The idiots i bought my house from used water base paint! Im so pissed. I had no idea and didnt ask.

We bought a "remodeled" house almost 4 years ago...and I've been fixing everything that f'tard did ever since.
I "think" I'm finally done with that stuff, and can move on to other things now, like the garage floor...other than the basement floor paint...which is peeling now, gotta love it.

You are welcome! Remember to prep your concrete well. I ended even taking a grinder to one or 2 areas where the concrete’s top layer looked like it was peeling and ground the thin top area until I was on solid concrete. If you want to spend a little extra, you can get the sealer for this epoxy and apply that over it. I felt that mine was good enough without it, so I didn’t spend the extra cash for the sealer.

Ok, I'll check out the sealer too.
I was hoping you would respond to this thread, but really didn't want to hear how much your floor cost to do, because it looks so good.
I'm glad to hear it's lasted so long.
Just goes to show what happens when something is done right!
I plan on cleaning the floor with dish soap, then muratic acid. Rinse well, dry overnight, and then put it down.
I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can leave the doors up overnight while it dries.
I'm definately doing this as soon as I can!
Awesome job sir!

We bought a "remodeled" house almost 4 years ago...and I've been fixing everything that f'tard did ever since.
I "think" I'm finally done with that stuff, and can move on to other things now, like the garage floor...other than the basement floor paint...which is peeling now, gotta love it.

It's a never ending prospect....I have been doing the same. I have yet to tackle the garage floor but I am keeping an eye on this thread. I am not sure what to do with it. I think it is almost too far gone to coat, I may have to cover with some sort of floor covering (locking tiles, etc).

A few years ago while I was deployed, my son changed his car engine in it and leaked oil and coolant on it and never cleaned it up. To clean it would entail cleaning 3/4 of the floor and that's a huge job in itself.

It's a never ending prospect....I have been doing the same. I have yet to tackle the garage floor but I am keeping an eye on this thread. I am not sure what to do with it. I think it is almost too far gone to coat, I may have to cover with some sort of floor covering (locking tiles, etc).

A few years ago while I was deployed, my son changed his car engine in it and leaked oil and coolant on it and never cleaned it up. To clean it would entail cleaning 3/4 of the floor and that's a huge job in itself.

The dish soap and muratic acid work wonders. A scrub brush with a broom length handle, and a water hose, oil comes out of concrete alot easier than you would think.
I've been admiring Mabupa's garage floor for a long time now. To find out how inexpensive it is was great news.
Especially how long it's held up.
His bikes and threads show his attention to detail, so I know he did the prep and application right. And it shows that what he used and how he did it has held up for over 4 years now...and for $115!
A couple gallons of muratic acid are less than $20 here too.
So it sounds like a win to me!
Exactly why I asked here first!

Back