Engine knocking after oil change??

KrunkyTB

Registered
Evidently i didnt Title my last topic right. didnt get any views, I changed oil and filter, added aprox 3.7L of oil, and now engine knocks when i started. I only let it run like 30 seconds sounded terrible. I did not prime the filter, i totally forgot, after running it for 30 seconds, cooling for 5mins etc, about 10 times i went to pull filter back off and check to make sure oil is in it, there is, oil light is on and engine still sounds as if it is knocking, What is going on here?? total newbie when it comes to bikes and oil changes, but changing oil shouldnt have caused anything to happen... so i thought! What did i do wrong or is it supposed to do this and im not letting it run long enough? im half afraid too!

hey, did the same thing the other day...

Check the oil level in the sight glass. Your engine is starved for oil. You have enough in there. I did this. I cranked it, let it idle for a few seconds, blipped the throttle and tac'ed up to about 4k rpm's twice and that forced the oil from the reservoir to the engine. KNockin went away. Just make sure to follow manual's instructions and top off oil after you have let it run for a min or so.

Let me know if this helps, did for mine

Did you look at your drain plug? Any chance it was leaking?

double checked everything, sight glass is full, was thinking i had too much oil maybe, but shouldnt knock with to much, i would let some out if it wasnt knocking

ok knocking went away when i cranked it 2x to 4k, so i let it run 3 mins or so, went back in garage and smelled very funny, check sight glass with bike level and all way to top, so evedintly i overfilled it, but i know i couldnt have added more then 3.7 but what do i know. would oil overfill make it smoke and smell funny?

When I change oil and filter (as I always change both) I put 1 gallon in.

where is it smokin from Krunky??? If you had oil drip down on the headers from the filter change, that could be why u are gettin the smoke and smell.

Just check, if u did run it for 3 min, it might have gotten hot enough to burn a bit of oil that was restin on headers

Chances are better than not that the smell and smoke are from oil burning off the header pipes...

yep, that is the smoke, i feel like an idiot, shouldnt have drank a 6 pack to change my oil i guess, feel stupid, the oil dripped down on headers when i took the filter off, so 1 gallon of oil is fine, makes me feel better now just incase i added to much, sight glass is completly full.

The oil level in the sight glass should be checked witk the bike straight up and down not on the side stand. If you fill it till it reads full leaning on the side stand you will be over full. Don't know that it would knock though and the oil light shouldn't come on if you have to much oil. What kind of filter did you use? Did you leave it empty or draining like over night? Oil pump might have lost its prime?

Appreciate all the quick responses, get to take her out for first time this year tomarrow!
Thanks to all on boards who help enlighten knowledge on to all! Even common sense evades some when you add beer to equation!

Appreciate all the quick responses, get to take her out for first time this year tomarrow!
Thanks to all on boards who help enlighten knowledge on to all! Even common sense evades some when you add beer to equation!
Anytime krunky! Next time, here's a tip...

When u change your filter, put some aluminum foil on the headers before you remove the filter. that will keep MOST of the oil off the headers if you put it on good. Just somethin i do (learned here a while back) to keep from burnin some oil on start up!

Good luck tomorrow and be careful! Too many threads lately of people goin down right here at the start of riding season. Keep it safe bro!

No I stood bike up level to check oil sight glass, I let it run till was warm then drained and unscrewed filter, i used a Hiflo filter if that sounds right. Added just under 1 gallon of semi synthetic. It is completly full even when bike is lvl, but if adding 1 gallon isnt going to hurt i dont see any problems.

...agree on the foil. Changed mine last weekend and used the foil but still got some onitbut it does lower the amount.
beerchug.gif

I keep trying to make a "boat" out of the foil, to direct the oil...but after this change I think it may be better to just wrap the foil over the pipes and let it run where ever it wants. I have a drain tub under the bike to catchit all.

...and dont tighten the plug too much I hear they strip easy. Use a torque wrench at 16.5 lbft. That is not very much.

too much oil will kill some horsepower from the crankshaft splashing in oil. hope u didn`t use a fram filter!!

Next time you change the oil, wrap some aluminum foil around the headers under the filter. Use brakeclean to clean up any oil that gets on the headers.

Back