First oil change

Read the Magnuson-Moss Act. It's not an I'm right and everybody else is wrong deal here as you're the one in the minority thinking the bike has to be serviced by the dealer.

There is no red tape on your bike saying you'll void the warranty if a cover is removed, there is no mention of it in the WRITTEN warranty or the owners manual...once again you're pulling an apples and oranges scenerio.
Matter of fact on most computers you don't void your warranty if you open it and install approved accessories. If there is tape on the back and the warranty states you can't open the case that's another story as its been implied. For my particular PC the owners manual tells me how to disassemble it and install accessories.

Now go through your owners manual or the Magnuson-Moss Act and tell me where it says a "CERTIFIED" mechanic has to work on the bike. All they say is a "QUALIFIED" mechanic. Big difference between those two words. Anyone who does their own wrenching, owns the proper tools and has the proper know how is qualified to work on their own vehicles. If they blatantly screw something up of course the dealer doesn't have to cover that part, but it's up to the dealer to prove it was not done correctly.

Also according to the ACT, if the first service was required to keep the warranty active, the manufacturer would have to perform it for free.

As far as the dealer not knowing if you've done the maintenance...the burdon of proof is on THEM. To go once step further on your reasoning, even if you take the bike in for all it's maintenance and then have a warranty issure, they can still turn around and *claim* you used the bike for "competition use" or you put "abnormal strain" on the bike.
"We weren't there to see you use the bike, we feel you put abnormal strain on it and how are we to know you didn't? So screw you, your warranty is void".

I just looked over your receipt too. Maybe I missed something but I don't see where it says anything about having a "CERTIFIED" mechanic perfrom maintenance on the bike. It refers to the owners manual and once again the word "CERTIFIED" isn't in there.

Do you seriously think if this maintenance was required to be performed by a certifed dealer mechanic there wouldn't be big BOLD writting in the written warranty and all over the owners manual? It would be stated everywhere plain as day and in your face with no gray areas for discussion. Not only would the dealer save themselves from law suits do to a deceptive warranty they would also be making a ton of money off people who do have the knowledge and skills to perform their own service.

Well like I said i'm not going to argue this, Apparenty you didn't carefully read the first question that was posted here. If he is asking if he has to remove the fairings to do an oil change, then apparently he would not be a "QUALIFIED" mechanic as you put it. Yet you still tell him to do his own service. Im sure he also doesn't have a service manual or he wouldn't be asking that question either, so where is he going to get the torque info for everything on the bike?

I guess in your eyes if you own a wrench set, you are Qualified to be a mechanic, I guess that means every motorcycle owner out there is now A qualified mechanic because every bike comes with a tool kit. I guess after he does his own first oil change he should just go get a job as a mechanic, since he is now Qualified as a mechanic.

DO you think he can check his own valves too and adjust his own fuel settings on a stock bike?? That what was done for me by the dealer, Actually gained 4 mpg from the fuel setting. But I guess every backyard mechanic can do this on a stock bike without a PC. I bet everyone that owns a bike also has a torque wrench and automatically knows everything about the bike. It isn't a matter of saving money, it is also a matter of safty. The little manaul you get with the bike tells you things to inspect, it doesn't tell you what to look for. Maybe you should read some of the threads in here with people asking questions that aren't covered in the manual.

As far as people getting ripped off for dealer mistakes, Thats why I sat there and watched them do mine. Took about 4 hrs to complete it. I didn't just drop it off.

You made the comment that the act or manual doesnt say "certified" mechanic, where do either one of them say anything about a back yard mechanic?

Funny thing is If you did your own work, jacked something up and the dealer refused to fix it due to your neglect, who do you think is going to pay for the lawyer to get it looked into? I would rather pay the simple fee to have it serviced right, then to pay an attorney and have to sit with the bike not running until it all got settled.

The idea here to to help everyone with the care of their bikes. Telling someone that has never done it to do it hisself does not help him take care of it. You apparenty own 3 bikes due to your signature block, this might be his first. TO be safe he should take it to the dealer and let them do it the first time to make sure everything is ok. On a bike that will do close to 200 stock, you really shouldn't tell people to do their own service until they know more about bikes. I do all of my own services too I have had 8 sportbikes over the last 14 yrs, and have been a mechanic for about 9. There is a reason people get that certificate when they complete a mechanic course. It is because they were trained in how to fix something, they don't just guess about it. When it comes to somethng that could cause me to injury my self and I'm not 100% sure how to do it, I will take it to someone that does know how and can teach me, not just tell me how to do is.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, that is not what this board is for. Thanks for your opinion, but us argueing isn't helping the member with his question, so there is no point in it continueing.

Something you guys may or may not find amusing... It's my first bike in 20 years.
AAAssjani.gif
I've ridden here and there for many years dirt & street. I'm comfortable and do well.

But one thing is for sure, owning - is a different animal. I like it. Its scary and fun all in one. Its discovery all over again for me at 41. All this intelligent debate - is great and I can use the perspectives.

I scheduled my appointment for Monday to have it serviced. I have a serious number noises I'd like them to tell me about. I've worked on cars for years. So doing simple service is one thing. But now that I'm on a killer-bike, I'll go the safe route until I am capable of doing my own chain and injector and forks and brake adjustments and such.

So great debate. I should have told everyone where I was at. I hate being a rookie bike owner again. But you guys are bringing me up to speed with some very good perspective.

Thanks again.

P.S. I am being careful. I'm too old to do squid well. ;-)

Something you guys may or may not find amusing...  It's my first bike in 20 years.  
AAAssjani.gif
  I've ridden here and there for many years dirt & street.  I'm comfortable and do well.

But one thing is for sure, owning - is a different animal.  I like it.  Its scary and fun all in one.  Its discovery all over again for me at 41.  All this intelligent debate - is great and I can use the perspectives.

I scheduled my appointment for Monday to have it serviced.  I have a serious number noises I'd like them to tell me about.  I've worked on cars for years.  So doing simple service is one thing.  But now that I'm on a killer-bike, I'll go the safe route until I am capable of doing my own chain and injector and forks and brake adjustments and such.

So great debate.  I should have told everyone where I was at.  I hate being a rookie bike owner again.  But you guys are bringing me up to speed with some very good perspective.

Thanks again.  

P.S. I am being careful.  I'm too old to do squid well. ;-)
OK Pops... Listen up... Heh...

First Bro, get thyself a service manual and memorize (ok Study) your owners manual. The service manual is pricey but well worth it. With it and some general mechanical ability you should be good to go.

Now, as for the First bike in 20 years... OK... How to say this carefully.... TAKE IT FUGGIN SLOW!!!!! Bonus is your old enough to keep your head, bad thing is your still on a Busa. So be careful cause it will do everything it can to get you in over your head, the damn thing is seductive and addictive. So be careful.

Heck another good idea woul dbe the MSF, either the beginners or advanced course. THey will really help knock all the dust of the skills in no time.

Yeah yeah I know, your getting a freaking leacture from a 33 yr old... My bad... Just a thought is all...

Rev

Oh and the number of Busa Noises... Lordy it lets you know it isn't a Honda doesn't it? Heh... Clutch rattle, and Valvetrain noise?
smile.gif
Yeah, Something I really like is the way the mirrors vibrate at Idle, reminds me of my old hot rod... What shocked me were the smells, yeah those new HOT BIKE smells... Man I thought it was on fire a couple of times... Have fun and welcome to the board...

beerchug.gif
Oh my gosh! I love this forum. LOL

You're right. It's a lot of bike. Fortunately - I do take it very civil. Like I said - I've got kids and no time to be in a hospital with my head hangin' by a thread.

Great advice. And yes - I'm doing the MSF thing too.

..pops... lol...

Rev I have done both of the MSF courses, the military makes us retake the test with evey bike we have, it is their way of making sure we can handle them properly while on base. These courses are full of good information for new riders and it gives old riders a nice refresher. I have ha to take 2 in the last year one for my gsxr 750 and for the busa. I would reccomend these as well to anyone really.They can only make you better.

And Shawn, that was my whole point. Once you are familiar, do them all you want.Until then tyake the safe route for you and your busa and let a certified mechanic do it. Also like TT said though make sure they do everything. mark your filter and see if they change it, some will scam you but most are pretty good due to the fact if something goes wrong, it is on them to fix it.

Well like I said i'm not going to argue this, Apparenty you didn't carefully read the first question that was posted here. If he is asking if he has to remove the fairings to do an oil change, then apparently he would not be a "QUALIFIED" mechanic as you put it. Yet you still tell him to do his own service. Im sure he also doesn't have a service manual or he wouldn't be asking that question either, so where is he going to get the torque info for everything on the bike?
The reason I asked this question (I do have a service manual) was to see if there was any short cuts around changing the oil. On my old Yamaha 600R the manual said to take off the fairing but the guys at 600R.com site new a shortcut around that. I do the basic maintenance on my bikes (chain, oil, brakes, ect) because the shop here will rip you ($60 an hour).
If I need something major done (fuel injection ect) I'll take it to the dealer. Like my last bike though I plan on buying a Haynes service manual which will help me diagnose the whole bike. A good friend of mine who has had many bikes told me it's best to learn as much as you can about your bike. I don't plan on taking her to the dealer every time she needs servicing.

URBAN COWBOY

I don't blame ya there, I Like I said though, without knowing your ability with mechanics, it isn't wise to just have told you to do it yourself. If you are able to do it then go ahead. Dealer here is $75 an hour. As a rule when helping someone, I always assume that they do not know anything at all. this makes sure I tell them everything they need to knoe and not just assume that they already know.

ralnsplder: I noticed that warranty paper you posted a copy of, which is not from Suzuki, says that you have to take it to the dealer for service. That’s just a way for them to scare you into taking it there for more cash. I didn’t sign anything like that when I bought my bike. I think it’s funny what dealers will tell people to get more business.

Yes I know and I know it is also illegal for them to put that on there. Sad thing is, that is the only suzuki dealer here in hawaii. Atleast on this island.

I'm gettin the message about service, ability to service, mechanics, etc. Something that every bike owner needs to address is his own ego in his/her ability to service a bike. It's one thing to service your own car and such. But if you tinker with something on a bike and the back wheel is misaligned, or the forks are screwy, any of that can cause you to lose control I would think. That's a reality I don't think is worth messing with blindly.

Reading a Haynes manual and talking with the dealer, maybe getting things checked out by them after you do the work, might be a good idea for saftey sake. I dunno.

Anyway, I got it back from the dealer - it's running like a top. Some of my perception is probably imagined - but it feels right. It's tight, quick, all that. I love it.

Talking with the service writer, he was very excited for me just getting the bike and all. His advice on Synth oil - put it in at 10k miles because it takes so long for a bike to truly break in. This seems to me to be way conservative. However, last night on other forums, I noticed that various other Suzuki dealers had recommended to other busa owners' 5k-8k miles before synth oil.

There are some great links out there about why synthetic is superior to motor oil and why you have to be careful with 'motorcycle' oil because it doesn't necessarily have to go through the same processes as car motor oil yet still gets the good ratings. Those links are on another thread - where I posted originally in the wrong spot.

Anyway - sorry so wordy here. I'm taking the good advice to heart and hearin' everyone's 2c on things. It's a bike - so I'm careful.

later...

OK, I'm going to agree with both sides on this one - if you have the knowledge/tools/workshop manual, do your own servicing. If you don't have one or more of these, get the dealer to do your servicing for you.

However, here's a couple of stories that might sound a warning bell about those "experienced/qualified mechanics" that you find at your local dealership.

1) Many years ago I owned a Yamaha XS1100, and I did my own servicing on it from day one, because I had the workshop manual/tools/several years experience servicing other motorcycles and cars. However, when it came to getting my valve clearances adjusted, I hadn't yet obtained the "special tool" for getting the shims out, so I took it to my local Yamaha dealer to get that done. Fortunately, I returned to pick the bike up a little early, only to find the mechanic using the XS750 workshop manual to set the valve timing. I suggested that he try turning the engine over using a spanner on the crank-end to make sure he'd got it right. When he did this (slowly) one of the valves collided with a piston (timing was totally wrong.) If he'd rebuilt the engine in that state and fired it up, serious engine damage would have resulted. This guy was a "qualified Yamaha mechanic". After that, I did my own valve clearances.

2) I took delivery of a 2004 Hayabusa about three weeks ago (the Black-Purple/fastest one...) and I did my own inspection of the bike (even though the dealership used their "qualified Suzuki mechanics" to check it for me first.) Firstly, the tire pressures were too low (the front was 10 PSI below the pressure recommended in the owner's manual, the back 8PSI low.) Secondly, the tickover was erratic because the throttle bodies were out of sync, and thirdly the idle was under 1,000rpm when the engine was warmed up - it's supposed to be 1,050 - 1,250.

So, by all means have your bike worked on by the "experts", but I'd also recommend you check it yourself and learn what the "correct" settings are for the various components that help keep the shiny side up. If you don't want to do the work yourself, find yourself a trustworthy independant mechanic with good references who takes pride in their work. From personal experience, I'd steer clear of the "production line" types that seem to work at dealerships.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

Uh huh. Exactly what I figured. So far, my checking of tire pressure and chain tensions and idle has been correct after the visit to the suzuki dealer. Phew.

Is there a Haynes manual for the Busa? I'd surely get one.

Anyone recommend the best online stores for things like bra's and underwear... I mean tank bra's and other gear?

cool.gif

DAB I agree, But the good thing is that if the yahama dealer would have messed it up, you would have gottong a new engine. If you mess it up all you get is the bill to fix it. Best thing to do is to ask around and find a good well know mechanic that has a good reputation. Im not saying that the dealer is the best place to go.

Anyone recommend the best online stores for things like bra's and underwear... I mean tank bra's and other gear?
Check the links below this forum for a lot of good accessories. I think one of the sites has the Bra with hayabusa logo for $32. There is also a lot of other good info in those links

My 2006 is at 500 miles now. Call the dealer, how soon can you do the 600 mile service? Next Tuesday, It's Wednesday. Next question, If I do the 1st service myself will it void the warranty. No, just keep your receipt for the oil & filter & mark in your manual when service was done. The dealer wanted $120 plus parts for an oil change,chain adjustment and checking chassis bolts. I went & bought 4qts. of Suzuki oil & the oem filter for $26. I'm doing the 1st service on my baby tomorrow!
beerchug.gif

Back