black oil after oil change

88turborx7

Registered
I changed the oil and filter yesterday. Checked the level through the gauge on the side and it was nice and clean, like maple syrup. Started it up for a few minuted to check for leaks at the filter and drain plug and it was OK. Stopped the engine and checked the level again and now the oil was as black as the old oil I had just drained. Is this normal?

there is leftover old oil that is not fully drained out.....this probably got mixed/circulated with the new oil. This video might help explain what I am trying to describe

Wow! Awesome video! That is what I figured that there was some leftover oil that I could not drain out. This Scavenger system seems to be for Harleys only. Is there any way to completely drain all the oil out?

I just followed the instructions in the owner's manual and there was not mention of standing the bike upright to drain the oil out. But I wrote that step down for next year's oil change!:laugh:

I always drain the oil while bike is on rear stand. Drain bolt is in front of pan and on stand it angles bike downward. Seems to work as the oil stays clean lookin for a while.

It's an adapter that is installed like an oil filter to let the old oil be drained while the engine is running after the new oil has been poured in. Once you see clean oil being pumped out, engine is shut off, remove adapter, install filter, top off with new oil. This is made for choppers (v-twins), I didn't see anything on their site that was made for sport bikes. But it is a great idea, there is quite a bit of oil still trapped in the oil cooler and lines and galleys throughout the engine. Would be cool to have something like this for oil changes, I like the idea of a "total" oil change.

I see. I flick the starter button a couple times without starting the bike and it usually squirts out the last little bit. Just a couple quick taps.

Back