Encounter with a "woke" hipster..

I took a quick shot to the local hardware store this morning via the Ram pick up and encountered a strange fellow..

As I was exiting my truck I heard "excuse me" so thinking someone needed a hand, I stopped and looked around. Coming into my view was a quintessential "hipster" and his gal aboard their bicycles. This 20 something guy had the scraggly beard, man-bun complete with man-purse and one of those new bicycles made to look 'old timey.'

So I said "what's up?" He started to go into a tirade on how people like me driving big trucks are polluting the earth and supporting big petroleum.....I just had to burst out laughing......but at the same time I figured it was time to really wake up this "woke" person.....

I said, "you are riding a bicycle probably made in China or Taiwan and unless migrating birds flew it to your house, it was brought here by something which burns petroleum......you are wearing clothes probably sold by Walmart which were made off-shore in some super polluting country...unless you live in a log cabin made by your own hands and live in the woods and are completely self-sufficient by heating with wood, killing animals and growing vegetables and fruit, storing them for the winter, sewing your own clothes and using zero electricity you in your own right am a polluter." "You must have a pedal powered generator to charge up the phone in your hand.."

"Furthermore, the days of 'do what I say and not as I do' don't wash anymore."

Then I turned to the young lady with him and told her she needs to hitch her wagon to someone with a brain if she wants to succeed in this world. I said if she has a clue, she'd soon see the hypocritical way of thought this guy has.

To that I turned and walked away but kept an eye on them to ensure they didn't go and do something to my truck.

I guess I'm getting old and mellow as the thought of punching him in the throat only crossed my mind twice while talking to him...
and...........the elements used to make the bike and phone are unobtainable without strip mining.

...and whe he learns to drive, he would best know that the resources he is using are not just gas, oil, tires and brakes. Someday, if you intend to replace that vehicle, every mile it went should represent an equal proportion of the cost of the new vehicle. I guesstimate the whole cost of running my truck is about a buck a mile. If my job doesn't pay enough for me to run that truck not just to work but everywhere I drive so that I can have a normal life and go to work, I'm using more resources than I can afford or else I need a better paying job.

I don't know if industry or personal pollution of the everyday normal guy impacts the environment more. I suspect that globally, you are correct that industry causes more pollution but you have to remember that just living and taking shits twice a day has a huge impact on the environment already. A lot of people ride bikes in China but they also take a poop twice a day and that's an awful lot of poop taking with the population. As for industry, if it's less profitable to run green, the price of stuff goes up and there you go again using more resources in the form of money you had to earn to get what you need. Spend more money, use more resources. The real problem with industrial pollution is the huge number of people it needs to satisfy the needs of. I don't recall what the carrying capacity for humans is to achieve a stable environment but it was very few per square mile. We're big polluters even in a primal state.
problem solved..........once we get rid of these pesky humans :rolleyes:

Bill I've been working with a Royal Marine now for the last 3 months who spent ten years in . He came to America 3 years ago , and It has been very entertaining for both of us .
Making a great team , and feel it could be a rough day for a woke hipster .
I worked with them before...pretty decent bunch although they thought we were crazy..

I took a quick shot to the local hardware store this morning via the Ram pick up and encountered a strange fellow..

As I was exiting my truck I heard "excuse me" so thinking someone needed a hand, I stopped and looked around. Coming into my view was a quintessential "hipster" and his gal aboard their bicycles. This 20 something guy had the scraggly beard, man-bun complete with man-purse and one of those new bicycles made to look 'old timey.'

So I said "what's up?" He started to go into a tirade on how people like me driving big trucks are polluting the earth and supporting big petroleum.....I just had to burst out laughing......but at the same time I figured it was time to really wake up this "woke" person.....

I said, "you are riding a bicycle probably made in China or Taiwan and unless migrating birds flew it to your house, it was brought here by something which burns petroleum......you are wearing clothes probably sold by Walmart which were made off-shore in some super polluting country...unless you live in a log cabin made by your own hands and live in the woods and are completely self-sufficient by heating with wood, killing animals and growing vegetables and fruit, storing them for the winter, sewing your own clothes and using zero electricity you in your own right am a polluter." "You must have a pedal powered generator to charge up the phone in your hand.."

"Furthermore, the days of 'do what I say and not as I do' don't wash anymore."

Then I turned to the young lady with him and told her she needs to hitch her wagon to someone with a brain if she wants to succeed in this world. I said if she has a clue, she'd soon see the hypocritical way of thought this guy has.

To that I turned and walked away but kept an eye on them to ensure they didn't go and do something to my truck.

I guess I'm getting old and mellow as the thought of punching him in the throat only crossed my mind twice while talking to him...
Yea, I am with the hippy, you guys are sending all your smoke our way, linky.

Back