Electric Lime Pearl Plasti-Dipped Hayabusa

So how is the fit of the panels with the build up of Plastic dip? Any problems upon reassembly?

As Redbusarider mentioned, so you are not using any clear coat at all, correct?

And you bought your spray gun from them also?

I agree, silver/charcoal is still my favorite Gen1 and Gen2 color and have owned each 03 and 09. :)

Zero problems with reassembly, in fact it didn't cross my mind till you mentioned it. Even the lower fairing when you slide it into the nose went smooth.

Correct, no clear coat or glossifier. I wanted a matte/satin look. I will spray DipCoat on it though, just to give it some protection. I used it on the truck and it does exactly as advertised (which amazed me). It's basically a spray wax is all.
Yep got the gun from DYC with their "bike kit"

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically it sprays like spray paint,
Time and patients equals better out come.

So basically it sprays like spray paint,
Time and patients equals better out come.

Exactly and prep for sure. Yep you can get it in rattle cans or buy it by the gallon and spray it like I did. You can get decent results with rattle cans, but for bigger stuff it's best to get a gallon. For small stuff, rattle cans just make life easier. I typically keep a can of white and black on hand. Where the tank bolts down by the yoke, I taped that little piece off not thinking. When I realized it, I just taped the tank off an sprayed it back. I don't even notice since it sits against a black frame and have black allen head bolting it down. :)

I'm already thinking of the next color for next year. For $60 and some free time, it's hard not to think about it.

Looks fantastic! You said you had dipped another bike (or this one?) and it last many years. No issue with sides of tank where the knees grip and slide? Seems like it would wear off pretty quickly there. Hmmmmm. Interesting! I have a few small spots dipped on my Mustang and they have a few small blemishes from washing in only about 1 years time. Of course, it wasn't the same brand.
Bad azz!
Troy

Nope this is the 2nd time this bike was dipped, the first time it was white. I had it on the bike for 6 months, never an issue with it and even where the knees go. When you spray the stuff on it, I'm guessing since you do in light coats and build it up, it's really stuck on there. I'd like to never got it to break free from when I was pulling it off the lights.

I've had the truck done for a couple months and it stays in the weather most of the time and still holding up good other than it needs a good wash, lol.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

I did the wheels on the wifes car with anthracite grey and the glossifier. Other than the rubbery feeling you can't tell the difference from paint.

I like it. needs an extended tail tho. stock tails on Gen II's with extended swing arms just doesn't look right.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

I did the wheels on the wifes car with anthracite grey and the glossifier. Other than the rubbery feeling you can't tell the difference from paint.

Definitely spray some DipCoat or spray wax on them. Takes that rubbery feeling away and also even more durable too.

I like it. needs an extended tail tho. stock tails on Gen II's with extended swing arms just doesn't look right.

I totally agree. A +4 arm can get away with the stock tail, but anything more needs one. Any suggestions on brand? I'd like to keep the trunk and still ride 2-up.

Oracal lime tree green vinyl is a damn near perfect match to the bike. Picture doesn't show how close of a match this is, not bad for a guess when I ordered it. It's for some wheel stripes.

20150826_153316.jpg

Well this is my way changing the color of the Dragon bike,, Im ordering a complete set up, as well as i may be playing with there clear coat also.
Im going for a wet to dry look,, Fast and slippery!

Well, this is my way changing the color of the Dragon bike. I'm ordering a complete set up, as well as I may be playing with their clear coat also.
I'm going for a wet to dry look, Fast and slippery!

Let me know how that goes and what you think of the process... I've got a complete set of spare plastics including the tank and I've been thinking about a new color without buying a whole new bike.

I will spray DipCoat on it though, just to give it some protection.

Do you have to take all the plastic back off to "DipCoat" it?
Do you use the "Gun" again or rattle cans to DipCoat it?

How is the DipCoat different from the Glosssifier ?

You didn't mention what, if any protective gear you wear when spraying. ???

You bought a gallon of spray (liquid I assume) - How much did you use OR is leftover?

$60? Did that include the Gun? If not, How much for the Gun and what was the total bill for everything you had to buy? Did you need more than tape and paper?

Any other tips to pass along?
I have used the rattle cans and found that fast and short bursts yielded better/smoother results and I aimed for about 50% coverage with the first application.

Do you agree or did you find a better way to apply the spray?

Some people wait until each coat is totally dry - others spray much sooner - what worked best for you? Your results look great - so any knowledge you can pass along will help me and others. :please:

Folks the key to dipping is slow and steady and prep work. First and formost prep. Did i say prep yet? I suggest wiping everything dow with either rubbing alch or acetone...Be gentle but get it clean. Tape and mask as needed. The trick to spraying plasti dip etc is slow and steady. Very light coats. Each application should be light...less then 25% coverage each time. Meaning mist it each coat. Usually between 4 and 7 coats. The thicker the better...it peels of easier in the future. No thick coats...iof you do it wont bond properly with each layer and will not look good. first coat 15% coverage appearance. second coat 30% coverage appearance. third coat 50 - 60% coverage appearance. fourth up t0 80% lastly finish coat.

Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

good site for information...ive used their stuff often...did a 2000 mustang...have done a lot of rims...tool handles, an old horse tank for watering animals....helps stop rust etc...

Folks the key to dipping is slow and steady and prep work. First and formost prep. Did i say prep yet? I suggest wiping everything dow with either rubbing alch or acetone...Be gentle but get it clean. Tape and mask as needed. The trick to spraying plasti dip etc is slow and steady. Very light coats. Each application should be light...less then 25% coverage each time. Meaning mist it each coat. Usually between 4 and 7 coats. The thicker the better...it peels of easier in the future. No thick coats...iof you do it wont bond properly with each layer and will not look good. first coat 15% coverage appearance. second coat 30% coverage appearance. third coat 50 - 60% coverage appearance. fourth up t0 80% lastly finish coat.

Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

good site for information...ive used their stuff often...did a 2000 mustang...have done a lot of rims...tool handles, an old horse tank for watering animals....helps stop rust etc...

Patience PREP Patience PREP Patience PREP Patience PREP

Second step,,, reread the first step!

Well this is my way changing the color of the Dragon bike,, Im ordering a complete set up, as well as i may be playing with there clear coat also.
Im going for a wet to dry look,, Fast and slippery!

Please do, keep us posted. I always consider the glossifier, but never do it because I'm cheap, lol. I sort of like the matte/satin look, but all depending on color.

Do you have to take all the plastic back off to "DipCoat" it?
Do you use the "Gun" again or rattle cans to DipCoat it?

How is the DipCoat different from the Glosssifier ?

You didn't mention what, if any protective gear you wear when spraying. ???

You bought a gallon of spray (liquid I assume) - How much did you use OR is leftover?

$60? Did that include the Gun? If not, How much for the Gun and what was the total bill for everything you had to buy? Did you need more than tape and paper?

Any other tips to pass along?
I have used the rattle cans and found that fast and short bursts yielded better/smoother results and I aimed for about 50% coverage with the first application.

Do you agree or did you find a better way to apply the spray?

Some people wait until each coat is totally dry - others spray much sooner - what worked best for you? Your results look great - so any knowledge you can pass along will help me and others. :please:

DipCoat is just a spray wax. You just use a bottle of it and a microfiber towel, spray and wipe. Just like you would on real pint.

Yep gallon of liquid. I used the entire gallon. If I could have bought an extra pint or half gallon, I would have. It's enough to coat everything, but just barely. Same thing with the white, likely because I was going over a darker color and you can always put a base coat down.

$60 for a gallon. I had the gun already from the previous time. DipYourCar.com -Plasti Dip For Your Car - Glossifier Blaze Pearlizer Metalizers Pro Car Kits Peel Coat for all the pricing they offer.

I sprayed it just like rattle can, sprayed entire length of object, let off, start again and keep spraying. I guess it's just like basic painting technique is all that's required.

Viper is correct, do several light coats to start off with and work your way up. The last couple coats should be heavy coats though. They stuff is extremely forgivable and touch ups are pretty easy as well if you do run into an error. Also when you're spraying big pieces, you get a little concerned because it doesn't look that great, but as it dries it self-levels and looks like what you see. :)

For what it's worth, after dipping the bike twice and the truck... the bike is SO MUCH freaking easier. I'll never do the truck again, just too much time involved and July is not the time of the year to be doing that in Louisiana.. It was HOT in the shop.

For the last and BEST piece of advice..... YouTube "DipYourCar" and watch the videos. Fonzie explains the whole process way better than I ever could. He also shares tips and tricks. Watch as many of the videos as you can stand. It's sort of addicting though, you've been warned. It'll also make you want to dip without a doubt!

the key to dipping is slow and steady

Slow will build up quicker. That's why I said fast and short bursts.
I have watched a lot of the videos and I looked closely - even though I never heard them say fast and short that is what I saw them doing. Maybe they were keeping that a secret IDK.
It also gave me the better results (moving faster) as moving slow made the result more course and textured vs. smooth and no texture.
I said 50% coverage but that is really hard to judge so maybe I was closer to 30% as it took at least 3 coats to cover.
So I agree that thinner coats are better and I probably wasn't at 50% after 1st pass.

Please do, keep us posted. I always consider the glossifier, but never do it because I'm cheap, lol. I sort of like the matte/satin look, but all depending on color.

DipCoat is just a spray wax. You just use a bottle of it and a microfiber towel, spray and wipe. Just like you would on real pint.

Yep gallon of liquid. I used the entire gallon. If I could have bought an extra pint or half gallon, I would have. It's enough to coat everything, but just barely. Same thing with the white, likely because I was going over a darker color and you can always put a base coat down.

$60 for a gallon. I had the gun already from the previous time. DipYourCar.com -Plasti Dip For Your Car - Glossifier Blaze Pearlizer Metalizers Pro Car Kits Peel Coat for all the pricing they offer.

I sprayed it just like rattle can, sprayed entire length of object, let off, start again and keep spraying. I guess it's just like basic painting technique is all that's required.

Viper is correct, do several light coats to start off with and work your way up. The last couple coats should be heavy coats though. They stuff is extremely forgivable and touch ups are pretty easy as well if you do run into an error. Also when you're spraying big pieces, you get a little concerned because it doesn't look that great, but as it dries it self-levels and looks like what you see. :)

For what it's worth, after dipping the bike twice and the truck... the bike is SO MUCH freaking easier. I'll never do the truck again, just too much time involved and July is not the time of the year to be doing that in Louisiana.. It was HOT in the shop.

For the last and BEST piece of advice..... YouTube "DipYourCar" and watch the videos. Fonzie explains the whole process way better than I ever could. He also shares tips and tricks. Watch as many of the videos as you can stand. It's sort of addicting though, you've been warned. It'll also make you want to dip without a doubt!

OK so a few questions - I didn't see you say how long you waited before the next coat?

So would you say you sprayed slower or faster? Please don't say normal as I don't know if your normal is the same as mine. :laugh:

Did you do ANYTHING between coats?
Did you find spraying a vertical or horizontal piece was easier or better results?

How soon did you remove the tape after the final coat? Totally dry? A day later? Did you score any tape etc before removal?

No protective gear?
Thanks for your info.

OK so a few questions - I didn't see you say how long you waited before the next coat?

So would you say you sprayed slower or faster? Please don't say normal as I don't know if your normal is the same as mine. :laugh:

Did you do ANYTHING between coats?
Did you find spraying a vertical or horizontal piece was easier or better results?

How soon did you remove the tape after the final coat? Totally dry? A day later? Did you score any tape etc before removal?

No protective gear?
Thanks for your info.

Glad to help, can't wait to see someone else do it for sure! Sorry, I over looked your questions last time.

I sprayed mine about noon in my shop with doors closed. I started with one piece and walked around. By the time I got through with coat #1, I started coat #2 and continued. I mixed the 25g of pearl in the last half gallon. I mixed it in and let it soak for 10-15 min and mixed again and sprayed it.

Did nothing between coats, just kept going. I think it was 90deg in the shop with the doors shut, if it was alot cooler there could be a little wait time. You'll know when it's dry for sure.

I had the sprayer set on vertical fan and tried the best to spray left to right as much as possible. Some pieces it was hard to, like the hump and tank to get on top, but not much of an issue.

I removed tape over it was all dry. I didn't have any real tape lines, but if I did I would have had to remove them immediately after spraying it. Only thing I taped off was the grills in the gills I had, inside the gas cap, front of tank (that faces engine), and some wiring. I removed all black gauge surround plastic, the ones that go on side fairings and touch your tank/frame area. You will get over spray on the inside of the fairings, but not a big deal.

They say to wait 4hrs for full dry, overnight for full cure. I was beat and drenched in sweat after spraying so I took it easy that evening and next day after church is when I removed all my tape and re-assembled.

Hope I covered any questions. Glad to share info to help when I can. :)

Back