Electric Lime Pearl Plasti-Dipped Hayabusa

InfiniteReality

Registered
I haven’t really done anything to the busa in quite some time with selling my old house, living in an apartment (busa was in storage, so rarely got ridden) while I was building my new house and even considered selling it for a short period. Since it’s been neglected, I decided it was time for a change. In May 2013 I dipped the bike satin white and before I moved out of my old house in December 2013 I peeled it off. Always regretted removing it, white/black just fit the bike so well.

As much as I liked white, I didn’t want to dip it the same color again. This time it was a toss-up for colors on opposing ends of the color spectrum……Camo Brown or Electric Lime. 100% of the people I asked said Electric Lime and I was more partial to it as well, so ordered 1 gallon of dip. While I was ordering, decided it was time to try out some Iguana Green Pearl too. I ordered 25g of it and when I got to the last half of the gallon, I mixed it in. There’s about 5 light coats followed by 2 heavy coats on the bike.

Since I already had the graphics in CAD from when I dipped it white, I put them in my wife’s Silhouette Cameo again and let it cut them out for me in satin black. I’m undecided if I’m going to put the little graphics next to the headlight and tail light…. Any opinions if I should or shouldn’t?

I have a roll of Oracal Lime Tree Green vinyl on the way so I can cut out some new wheel stripes, don’t care for the old silver ones. I was going to order some, but closest color I could find was Kawasaki green. Still wouldn’t match and a roll of vinyl cost just as much as wheel stripes anyways.

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks very good, the color alone is good looking, but the matte finish really adds to the overall "exoticness" of the bike. Good job!!!

I also like it - but the matte finish - I would be concerned with how to get the bugs off without hurting the dip.
Once a corner lifts up it is hard to keep it from spreading or continuing to lift more.

Now if you could clearcoat it, that might make it easier to clean up.

I wouldn't want a bike that I felt I couldn't ride because it might get dirty or get bugs on it. And where I live I get plenty of bugs.
I don't think there is anyplace on Earth that is totally bug free, is there?

But time will tell how well it holds up - especially after a dozen or more cleanings. Good luck.

BTW would really like to see that bike in the Sunlight. :coolcool:

That looks very good, the color alone is good looking, but the matte finish really adds to the overall "exoticness" of the bike. Good job!!!

After I put the graphics on last night I was thinking the exact same thing.... The color just wouldn't look as good if it was gloss.

I also like it - but the matte finish - I would be concerned with how to get the bugs off without hurting the dip.
Once a corner lifts up it is hard to keep it from spreading or continuing to lift more.

Now if you could clearcoat it, that might make it easier to clean up.

I wouldn't want a bike that I felt I couldn't ride because it might get dirty or get bugs on it. And where I live I get plenty of bugs.
I don't think there is anyplace on Earth that is totally bug free, is there?

But time will tell how well it holds up - especially after a dozen or more cleanings. Good luck.

BTW would really like to see that bike in the Sunlight. :coolcool:

Quite the opposite actually. Bugs and washing won't hurt it at all. You can even pressure wash it and have little very worry. I was a concerned about the bugs when I did the Raptor in July since I ride/drive on the back roads to/from work daily, but they come off extremely easy... even easier than off paint. Dip was on the bike for 6 months last time and never had an issue with cleaning or bugs.

If for some reason it did start to peel in a corner, little Naptha or Xylene rubbed in that spot and it'll lay it back down. Dip some how "wraps" around corners automatically, it's not like vinyl in that aspect where it can start peeling up after a period of time. Not saying it's not possible, just not likely.

You can use a spray wax (or what they sell is DipCoat) on your dip after you first dip it and after each wash. It makes the dip feel more like OEM paint, protects it from scratches and marring, UV protection and supposedly enhances pearls.

I was hoping for pictures in the sunlight after work today, but it's raining right now. Louisiana weather is crazy, sun may be shining brightly in a couple hours.

Thanks!! I was a little worried I may catch hell being close to a Kawaski color, lol.

I bought my bike "kit" a 2 years ago from DYC and it came with an Earlex brand gun. I think the model is 3500. I believe the kit may now come with a different brand, not honestly sure.

Still sprinkling at my house, hoping for some sunshine before sunset but who knows. If anything it'll give me till tomorrow and I can put the wheel stripes on. Looking forward to using my TapeWorks wheel strip tool finally!

I want to cut out something funny to put on my nitrous bottle.. Suggestions? Also should I put the decals that go on sides of headlight and tail light or leave them off?

Thanks! I put a Yoshi 4-2-1 full exhaust and swapped the can for a titanium stock GSXR1K muffler. I did the same on my Gen1 and loved the look, had to do it to this one too. Slips on and off just like the Yoshi pipe did.

Decals were easy, I sprayed over the stock graphics so I knew right where they needed to go. :) It was more of a pain to CAD them than anything, but I enjoy stuff like that.

Thanks! I put a Yoshi 4-2-1 full exhaust and swapped the can for a titanium stock GSXR1K muffler. I did the same on my Gen1 and loved the look, had to do it to this one too. Slips on and off just like the Yoshi pipe did.

That's an awesome idea! Looks great and I'm sure gets you some performance while keeping the sound down a bit.

Nice job . Looks better than I expected . Seen to many dip jobs from home depot spray cans that were very poorly done.

I want to cut out something funny to put on my nitrous bottle.. Suggestions?

How about the boy peeing and a saying like - (with this bottle) This is what I do to other bikes (or vehicles etc) ???

Nice job . Looks better than I expected . Seen to many dip jobs from home depot spray cans that were very poorly done.

Thanks. Yeah there's alot of them that come out like crap... I'm not sure why, it's extremely easy to do and comes out great... My guess is they get in a hurry maybe? Even so reading on the DYC forums, it sounds like everyone is fully supportive of failed dips and helpful to fix it. The owner even gave someone a couple gallons free on one thread.

How about the boy peeing and a saying like - (with this bottle) This is what I do to other bikes (or vehicles etc) ???

With the bottle only being 1.5# the decal could be done but would be hard to read.... but then again, most anything I put on it would be hard to read other than when it's parked.

Dang, I was hoping I could edit my original post to add the time lapse I took from start to finish. Fairly boring since no audio, but here it is nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back