Custom Ice Blue Pearl Plasti-dip

InfiniteReality

Registered
Fixing to start a 75 day turn around and I've been itching to dip the bike again, so took the plunge while I still had a couple of free weekends left. Everything I purchased on my list was used. Ended up adding all 3 bottles of white tint to the gallon of light blue dip, I thought I maybe got too many, but was perfect. After finishing off the gallon, mixed the pearl into the TopCoat and sprayed it. Removed all fairings (kept my satin black GSXR1K fender), wiped down the bike, taped everything off, wiped down with PreDip and sprayed it all in one afternoon/night. To be honest, I was actually disappointed in the final color at first. Under the shop lights (and probably too many Rum & Dr. Pepper's, lol) it looked more of a turquoise color. When I brought a piece out in the sun Saturday it was nothing like under the shop lights and was exactly the color I was going for.

This is my 3rd dip on the bike and I'm sure won't be my last. While it is by far my favorite color, it is also the worse dip of the 3 as far as quality. It was a new experience messing with TopCoat and pearl and I got over zealous in a few spots on the tail and had some runs. I attempted to fix it with a coat of Xylene, but it lost it's shine. I'll come back this evening and spray a can of TopCoat on the tail, assuming I can find it locally.

Of course, like the other 2 dips, cut my own factory-looking satin black graphics on my wife's vinyl cutter. Ended up having light blue pin striping laying around that I originally was going to use on the truck until after spraying it light blue....it ended up looking identical to OEM grabber blue so never used them.

This color is a SOB to get on pictures. My DLSR just can't capture the color as it looks in person. I believe my phone took more color accurate pictures of it, I'll get some uploaded later today. It's not quite as light of a blue in person as it looks on pictures.

Cart.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

Original light blue dip
IMG_2851.jpg

While adding the 3 bottles of white tint
IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Base coat
IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

TopCoat & Ocean Blue pearl
IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

That Looks great.:banana::bowdown: I've been wanting to plasti dip mine, but need to get a black sticker kit. I know said you cut your own. Are you planning on making them to sell here on the .org? I would be very interested.

That Looks great.:banana::bowdown: I've been wanting to plasti dip mine, but need to get a black sticker kit. I know said you cut your own. Are you planning on making them to sell here on the .org? I would be very interested.

Thanks! Nah I have no plans on selling any on the .org, just don't have the free time. But to be honest, they're pretty inexpensive to just buy a set on eBay and in any color.

Can I ask what color you plan on dipping yours? I highly recommend doing it, so cool to have a fresh new color on the bike every few months. :)

That's beautiful!!! The color is awesome! Great job!

How does the plasti-dip hold up to every day elements? Rocks hitting it, regular wipe downs/washing, etc?

Thanks! Nah I have no plans on selling any on the .org, just don't have the free time. But to be honest, they're pretty inexpensive to just buy a set on eBay and in any color.

Can I ask what color you plan on dipping yours? I highly recommend doing it, so cool to have a fresh new color on the bike every few months. :)
Ok. Well... I love the candy Sonoma red that the 2012 limited edition hayabusa came in, but not sure if I can mix plastidip to look close to that. I got a quote to get my bike painted that color, but having a hard time taking the jump since it can't just be reversed. Lol
I do like the green you had before on yours and your OEM color is great too.
Funny thing is, I bought my bike and signed papers and all expecting to get the OEM color you have. When they went to pull the bike out of their main warehouse, it was white!!!! Someone had put the wrong info in their system and got the colors mixed. I decided to buy it anyways because it was a good deal on a leftover bike(2009 model bought in 2011) I do have other white vehicles, but I didn't plan on a white busa.

That's beautiful!!! The color is awesome! Great job!

How does the plasti-dip hold up to every day elements? Rocks hitting it, regular wipe downs/washing, etc?

Thanks! It holds up incrediably well. Probably not quite as good as paint, but as far as durablity is concrned it's more than enough. They make something calle DipCoat that you can spray on it after washing it. It makes the dip fell less like rubber and more like paint. I read they have a better clear than DipCoat. it's not only harder, but can polish and buff it out even! For reference, I've had the truck dipped since mid July (just plain dip, no DipCoat) and it's still on there and holding up. On top of that I've never washed it.

Ok. Well... I love the candy Sonoma red that the 2012 limited edition hayabusa came in, but not sure if I can mix plastidip to look close to that. I got a quote to get my bike painted that color, but having a hard time taking the jump since it can't just be reversed. Lol
I do like the green you had before on yours and your OEM color is great too.
Funny thing is, I bought my bike and signed papers and all expecting to get the OEM color you have. When they went to pull the bike out of their main warehouse, it was white!!!! Someone had put the wrong info in their system and got the colors mixed. I decided to buy it anyways because it was a good deal on a leftover bike(2009 model bought in 2011) I do have other white vehicles, but I didn't plan on a white busa.

By all means you can get something close. They make bottles of tint ($1 each) and you can make stuff lighter, darker or just a different color. The pearls and stuff you'd have to look into and especially look for examples on their forum and definitely YouTube videos (dipyourcar). As you'll see they did a similar combo to mine, but I added tint to it for a lighter version of it. They sell speed shapes so you could test colors out over different bases and perfect your color. I was just too lazy to do that, lol.

Thanks! It holds up incrediably well. Probably not quite as good as paint, but as far as durablity is concrned it's more than enough. They make something calle DipCoat that you can spray on it after washing it. It makes the dip fell less like rubber and more like paint. I read they have a better clear than DipCoat. it's not only harder, but can polish and buff it out even! For reference, I've had the truck dipped since mid July (just plain dip, no DipCoat) and it's still on there and holding up. On top of that I've never washed it.

By all means you can get something close. They make bottles of tint ($1 each) and you can make stuff lighter, darker or just a different color. The pearls and stuff you'd have to look into and especially look for examples on their forum and definitely YouTube videos (dipyourcar). As you'll see they did a similar combo to mine, but I added tint to it for a lighter version of it. They sell speed shapes so you could test colors out over different bases and perfect your color. I was just too lazy to do that, lol.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into more if I ever get a day off. Lol. My friend did his car and already has the sprayer that comes with kit so , all I need to buy is the dip.

Mind sharing pics of your truck?

Alot of the upfront cost is the sprayer, but if you had to buy it....for a bike it really wasn't that much. For this dip, I paid right over $100 for all materials shipped. Could do even cheaper if kept to a basic color. After not using DipCoat 1st 2 times and seeing how it looks.... I'll be using it from here on out, well worth the $25.

Sure things, here's a few pics of the truck. I never got around to taking decent pictures of it with the black fender flares, but on that one picture that's truly how the color looks in person...grabber blue. My DSLR just HATES light blue dip it seems.

OEM
IMG_0844.jpg

Light blue (fender flares not done, but roof & bumpers are black)
IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

How graphics look underneath the dip on the truck.
IMG_0991.jpg

With fender flares black and more/less how it looks in person
20151028_152102.jpg

I need to clarify something... I suck at painting, just Plasti-Dip is damn forgiving. :)

What I really need to clarify is I mixed the pearl into TOPCOAT and not DipCoat. TopCoat is the higher end compared to Glossifier and 100x better than DipCoat. DipCoat is something that comes in a spray bottle and you put it on after 24hrs and after a wash. It makes the bike feel less like rubber and more like paint, if you can imagine that. It also protects it too.

I'm just not happy with how the tail came out, I tried to fix it with Xylene but apparently that doesn't work well with TopCoat. I picked up a can of Glossifier last night and put that on the tail so least it has some shine to it. Live and learn, I'll follow what I did the first 2 times I dipped the bike and prep everything one evening and come back the next day and spray it, then following day to put it back together.

At any rate, here is a comparison of what they call light blue on the truck (and I call Grabber blue) vs the custom mix + pearl + TopCoat on the bike. :) Please ignore the messy shop, I am in the middle of building a trailer when I decided to dip the bike, lol.

IMG_20160404_182250.jpg

IMG_20160404_182215.jpg

IMG_20160404_182205.jpg

Back