Early 1999 fuel pump

Martin.UK

Registered
I'm looking at a bike for sale that is a non runner due to a fuel pump problem.
The owner has taken the fuel pump off the bike and its in bits. He did this as the bike would not rev. He is now selling the bike as a non runner. I can get a new out of tank fuel pump from the u.s. for about £550 including vat and posted. But if i was to try and fix the old fuel pump first where would i start. Do they do a rebuild kit ? Any help please guys as i'm very close to doing a deal and buying the bike.

How hard is it to fit the later fuel pump with the later fuel tank.
As i see the 99-00 fuel pump has 2 wires and the later has 4 wires ?

Last edited:
@Martin.UK I rebuilt my '99 fuel pump using an aftermarket pump motor I bought on Ebay, US made and shipped to me from the USA, $140NZD.
New OEM fuel filter, ($55NZD) cleaned all the screens and reassembled (using all the original O-rings (they looked ok and it's never leaked)
It's very very important that the pump is insulated from the engine heat, I re-used the foam sock that the pump housing is fitted with from the factory, the condition of the foam was ok, but I used cable ties (zip-ties) to be sure it stayed in place.
If the foam sock is left off, the pump will get hot and the fuel will cavitate, this causes bubbles in the fuel and running issues as a result.
I've had no fuel pump issues since then, bike has done 40,000kms since the pump rebuild and has plenty of life left in it!
Good luck with your pump quest, you can pay the big money for a new OEM complete pump, or do it on the cheap like I did lol.

@Martin.UK

what year is it?
´99 or ´00 ?

because sometimes the ´99 fuel tank (ONLY) looses its inside coating and that slime cloggs 1st the filter, then the pump and at least the injectors.

if you like an other color 4 ur bike get all parts from ´01 on and move oder to tank-inside-pump

how that works i described at my homepage.
see

and

I'm looking at a bike for sale that is a non runner due to a fuel pump problem.
The owner has taken the fuel pump off the bike and its in bits. He did this as the bike would not rev. He is now selling the bike as a non runner. I can get a new out of tank fuel pump from the u.s. for about £550 including vat and posted. But if i was to try and fix the old fuel pump first where would i start. Do they do a rebuild kit ? Any help please guys as i'm very close to doing a deal and buying the bike.

I have a complete aftermarket fuel system including clean tank, external pump, AN racing fuel lines, and regulator I am selling. not sure what shipping would be over the pond to you, but I am selling for 300.00 US Dollars. I can send pics if requested.

So i have just done a 12v test on the pump unit and it sounds like it is spinning up. If this part is no good what can i use in its place inside the fuel pump unit ?

I have removed and cleaned both the small and large mesh filters. the small one was dirty and the large one was about 95% blocked.
just waiting for a new large o ring to come tuesday and i will put the pump back on the bike and see where i am then.

I have removed and cleaned both the small and large mesh filters. the small one was dirty and the large one was about 95% blocked.
just waiting for a new large o ring to come tuesday and i will put the pump back on the bike and see where i am then.
Always nice when it's the simple and cheap fixes!

@Martin.UK

a ´99 fuel tank?

in worst case perhaps u have the same prob like a little number of other ´99s.

it only happens on a few of these 99 tanks but it does happen.

the inner coating comes off and clogs the filter as sludge and that could possibly be the case with you.
then you really only have one chance - junk the tank and organize another one whose inner coating is intact (and hopefully stays)

otherwise, I would personally switch straight to a tank with an internal pump and either put a "bagster" over it that matches your paintwork or have this new tank painted in the old style.

how to proceed now?
relatively simple - drain fuel into a clear container and see if the fuel appears muddy.
if yes, see above - replace tank. everything else, I think, will be way too expensive.

good luck

Back