"E" track tie downs..

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
I just purchased the Aluma single place trailer. As you can see from the picture the front tie downs are to far "forward and in" to use as tie down points.

I was contemplating using E track tie downs to give me load flexibility. From what I have read they are mainly used inside an enclosed trailer.

Would these work outside? Don't see why not myself.

Tips and tricks welcomed.

r8

rearpaint.JPG

Only things i would be concerned with is the mounting of the track's to the alum. trailer.. I'd say use some nice grade 8 ss bolt's lock washer's and you'll be good to go...
smile.gif

grade 8 would be overkill IMO.. 5's would more than cover the application..

Also the biggest issue with "aluminum" trailers IME is stress fracture... I would put in a doubler anywhere you put bolts through the floor.. (1" round minimum) that should spread the stress and movement around a larger area..

Aluminum will work harden over time so a good idea to check stress points every now and then..

Nice looking trailer btw
smile.gif

I use E-Track on my Walls in my trailer. I would lean toward S-Track for the floor. It is used in aircraft cargo and if you look on passenger planes, you'll see it used in seat tiedown points.  More $$ however.

Mac's calls it versatie

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/VersaTie
Sweet stuff right there!  
thumb_up.gif

I might just go the easy route. Have to get the trailer home first and go from there.

This is the easy way out.

r8
Thats more of what I would do.. We use E tracks in all of our semi trailers and I have personally seen several failures, Due to the tie down pulling free of the track..

Can you post link on where to buy trailer? I really like it.

I use E-Track on my Walls in my trailer. I would lean toward S-Track for the floor. It is used in aircraft cargo and if you look on passenger planes, you'll see it used in seat tiedown points.  More $$ however.

Mac's calls it versatie

Sweet stuff right there!  
thumb_up.gif

Here is the ticket! And like Mr bogus pointed out a backing plate included.

Keep in mind the baxley la chock will be permatly mounted to the trailer.

r8

180_355_large.jpg

www.aluma.com

This is the MC-10 model. I needed something light to pull with the car. 390 pounds total with a 2000 lb. torsion bar axle.

Saves 40 grand on a new truck.
thumb_up.gif

r8

John, just looking at the pic. the only concern I can see is the floor. Hopefully you can find a solid place to mount the hardware. It looks hollow all the way up. If it is hollow where your mounting, it is going to want to smash the floor layers together. IF you can't find a good solid loc. you can still make it work as Randy mentioned. However you would want either a piece of 2x8 about 18" long (treated) underneith and on top a thick piece of diamond aluminum(dia.alum. for looks) on top about the same size. Mount ring thru all these layers. This allow you to torque the bolt down real good.

post-88-11074-rearpaint.JPG

Sizes of plate on top and wood underneith is really determined by the guage of the aluminum floor.

As Prof. said I would go with flr style cause it would be stronger pulled at angles.

BTW, that trailer ROCKS
clap.gif

John, just looking at the pic. the only concern I can see is the floor. Hopefully you can find a solid place to mount the hardware. It looks hollow all the way up. If it is hollow where your mounting, it is going to want to smash the floor layers together. IF you can't find a good solid loc. you can still make it work as Randy mentioned. However you would want either a piece of 2x8 about 18" long (treated) underneith and on top a thick piece of diamond aluminum(dia.alum. for looks) on top about the same size. Mount ring thru all these layers. This allow you to torque the bolt down real good.

post-88-11074-rearpaint.JPG

Sizes of plate on top and wood underneith is really determined by the guage of the aluminum floor.

As Prof. said I would go with flr style cause it would be stronger pulled at angles.

BTW, that trailer ROCKS
clap.gif
You guys worry to much. Wood? Forget about it.

"We use .080 metal along with aluminum tubing as support. Skin is .030 thickness."

r8

Mac's calls it versatie

Sweet stuff right there!  
thumb_up.gif

Here is the ticket! And like Mr bogus pointed out a backing plate included.

Keep in mind the baxley la chock will be permatly mounted to the trailer.

r8
These are what I have in my trailer and I'm very happy with them. Just make sure you install them where the load pulls at the correct angles. I think I have 12 or so in mine.

6.jpg

Thats more of what I would do.. We use E tracks in all of our semi trailers and I have personally seen several failures, Due to the tie down pulling free of the track..

Can you post link on where to buy trailer? I really like it.

+100 They do tend to fail. used in all Postal trailers.

Back