Dyno'd the stage 1 turbo

cocoaspud

Donating Member
Registered
This is a 2005 busa with RCC stage 1 kit. I opted for the full exhaust rather than dump pipes which I've been told drops the output by 20hp or so.

Below are the results from the last tuner a few weeks ago...

BusaDyno.jpg

I didn't start to take pics of the bike until after i'd already begun the turbo kit install...

sidepic.jpg

Fuel and boost pressure gauges, with a BoostBySmith shift light in the middle and behind them. Kind of a hokey mounting setup but I like the location and will work something out later.

gauges1.jpg

My bike is currently on its way to Frank @ PowerHouseCycles for an upgrade to RCC stage 2 and of course I can't wait to get it back and enjoy it!

The side pic is a 'before' pic hehe. The kit came with a single pipe/can for the right side and there's no pipe on the left side anymore.

But yeah, that's what i wanted...to keep it sort of stock looking with the air filter kept under the plastic and no dump pipe.

7lbs i believe, at least that is what the gauge max's at when i ride it. Filter under fairing, full pipe.

I have faith that you will be able to make my bike wow me after you get it next week hehe.

Last edited:
Thanks JohnnyCheese and others for the feedback. It's apparent that I have an underwhelming tune given the setup.

I've tried two tuners in Florida already and am in the process of shipping the bike to a third and hopefully the last. The first tuner left the bike with a mild choppy/surging feeling at steady throttle with low rpm (3rd gear, 3k rpm) but the A/F was around 11.8 under boost. The second tuner (sheet is above) fixed the surging feeling but left the A/F a little high. Both tuners were in the 220-224hp range.

I'll post up the next dyno sheet after it gets retuned.

I can tell you having your filter under the fairing will reduce a ton of HP. Even if you have a decent filter; the air is hot under the fairings further reducing HP.

Not true, we have done a lot of testing and you will not see the HP change by removing the filter or installing a larger filter out side the fairings. There is also no hot air on the compressor side of the fairings,??? Where do you think the hot air is coming from?

Richard

I can tell you having your filter under the fairing will reduce a ton of HP. Even if you have a decent filter; the air is hot under the fairings further reducing HP.

Read this: :: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: How to limit your Horsepower by Adding a Turbo ::

That article refers to a rinky dink setup of an air filter, not the K&N style commonly used by builders such as RCC or velocity. The air under the left fairing where the filter resides is moving just as much as air 3" outside the fairing. I'd guess you haven't been around turbos enough to know the difference? My RCC Stg 1 kit had no problem knocking out 248hp on the dyno with an under fairing K&N and dump pipes. :thumbsup:

If using a full exhaust rather than dump pipes really does knock off around 20hp, then I guess in terms of hp I'm not that far off? 224 is pretty close to 228 (from jdsbusa's 248 w/dumps). If so, then I guess that's the price I pay for a stealthier look.

I'm not totally against dump pipes as I prefer the look of them, but was worried about noise level mostly and heat on my right leg at traffic stops.

Still, as mentioned I need to get the A/F adjusted a bit.

i dont agree with the rcc full pipe killing 20 hp, my 08 has a full pipe and filter in the fairing, and has made almost identical hp per psi of boost of 2 other 08's that had dump pipes etc.

maybe on a hahn kit with puny exhaust and crappy bends might murder it. My 00 turbo made 461 hp through filter that fits in fairing and a full exhaust.

I'm with Greg, you might lose 5-10hp at most running a full exhaust but 20 is a bit extreme. I still suspect you have a tune that's less than worthy.

I'm with Greg, you might lose 5-10hp at most running a full exhaust but 20 is a bit extreme. I still suspect you have a tune that's less than worthy.

Without being very specific about what full pipe and what filter under the fairing, I think more needs to be said. A long pipe will not radically adversely affect the final horsepower, but a restrictive muffler will. And as far as an air filter under the fairing, I can tell you this - the crappy little filter that comes with a Hahn kit is restrictive. Making 250 hp with a muffler and Hahn air filter is no great accomplishment. As soon as you get that same setup in the 350 hp range, the smallish air filter will rob 20-25 hp . . . I have done back to back dyno runs at the same boost level and have seen this - with no fairings! And as far as a long pipe and muffler is concerned, a turbo will spool faster and respond better wide open on both ends - big filter, dump pipe. And having the a/f on the lean side (as posted) would result in more horsepower, not less.:whistle:

Without being very specific about what full pipe and what filter under the fairing, I think more needs to be said. A long pipe will not radically adversely affect the final horsepower, but a restrictive muffler will. And as far as an air filter under the fairing, I can tell you this - the crappy little filter that comes with a Hahn kit is restrictive. Making 250 hp with a muffler and Hahn air filter is no great accomplishment. As soon as you get that same setup in the 350 hp range, the smallish air filter will rob 20-25 hp . . . I have done back to back dyno runs at the same boost level and have seen this - with no fairings! And as far as a long pipe and muffler is concerned, a turbo will spool faster and respond better wide open on both ends - big filter, dump pipe. And having the a/f on the lean side (as posted) would result in more horsepower, not less.:whistle:

Hi folks, i'm new to this but very interesting reading all these articles, photos etc.. great..
I've bought a 2nd hand turbo kit (bigcc) for a 99 busa which iam putting in a car for track use, unfortunately i don't have diagrams.. does anyone have any pics or info for where all the vacuum pipes link to.. its an external kit with, boost guage, blow off, etc..
Thanks for you help..:beerchug:

on sh.org turbo talk there is a pinned topic of turbo install that has most of what you are looking for, but i would maybe shoot bigcc a note and see if they can email you what they distribute.

Back