Drug Testing Welfare Recipients. Agree?

I grew up in Southern WV and, although we didn't need it, I've seen those who did benefit from it in reasonable and proper ways. Any system with poor controls will be abused by those with such proclivities

Read my post again. I'm not completely opposed to the testing, and I did acknowledge that the system is abused. But as a compassionate person, I don't necessarily want to see kids starving because Momma has an Oxy habit. I'm in favor of more stringent OVERALL controls on the program, not just slapping a piss-test band-aid on it because of this whole "if I have to pee in a cup to work, you have to pee in a cup not to" mentality. It's good bumper sticker banter, but it sucks as a philosophy. It is my opinion that morality legislation is hard to fit over issues containing vast swaths of grey area, and it is for that reason that I oppose most morality-based legislation.

For what it's worth, the "under-average Joe" I referred to was the globalized abuser of the system. Sure it sucks that he gets a slice of the pie, but I'd rather it be somebody down the street than somebody in the mansion on the hill.

But the 'guy in the mansion' is PAYING for the ENTIRE PIE!

I don't feel bad for Momma one bit, but I do feel bad for the multiple children she had in order to increase her welfare benefit (and believe me, there are a lot of kids in this world BECAUSE of the additional benefits). Take her kids away from her because she doesn't deserve to keep them if she's a drug-abuser. Cold but it's the facts. Maybe she'd stay/get off the drugs if she knew the repercussions. I had one child, ONE, because I wanted to make sure the ONE I had, had a decent chance at life and would not become a ward of the state. Don't have 10 kids if you can't support them YOURSELF.

Heck yes, Pee for benefits. I did it for the Army, so why not - at least I was WORKING for my paycheck...

While we are at it, WIC needs to be for STAPLES only (Beans and Taters and fresh vegtables and cheap meat not steak) instead of all the processed junk food that can now be purchased with it. It's there for SURVIVAL, not PLEASURE. If you want pleasurable food, go grow it, or work to purchase it yourself.:banghead:

The whole system is crap. Yep I said it. It has been around so long with generations of families born into it and it is beyond repair due to the years of abuse. Pee in a cup, what is that going do? The children of the offender are the ones who suffer. They become wards of the state in in some home, bounced around foster homes subjected to unspeakable abuse to finally wind up back in the system as single parents, criminals or if they are lucky, dead.
We screwed the pooch when we made the program a handout. It should have been set up as work release.

In a related story (opinion):

The guy is hardly a master at making a point, but the basic idea that folks that make more mouths than they can actually feed is absolutely a root cause of many of the worlds problems.

20 years ago, lifeguarding at pools in lower income neighborhoods, I listened to 9 year old girls talk about how they "didn't need no job...they had a job"..."soon as I get my period, I'ma have a baby, then I start gettin' my checks. That's gonna be my job. Only job I need." Meanwhile, their parents were up in the apartment whorin', pimpin' or druggin'. Wanna know where these people learn their trade, go check out the kids at your local low income neighborhoods. If their parents are bustin' butt to make a livin' and tryin' to give their kids a shot at a better life, those kids'll be fine. But if the parents are low-lifers who spend all their time tryin' to become millionaires through crime and scamming the goverment, then that's probably what their kids will learn to do as well.

This WILL continue until the system (that's us folks) says NO!

In a related story (opinion):
The guy is hardly a master at making a point, but the basic idea that folks that make more mouths than they can actually feed is absolutely a root cause of many of the worlds problems.

20 years ago, lifeguarding at pools in lower income neighborhoods, I listened to 9 year old girls talk about how they "didn't need no job...they had a job"..."soon as I get my period, I'ma have a baby, then I start gettin' my checks. That's gonna be my job. Only job I need." Meanwhile, their parents were up in the apartment whorin', pimpin' or druggin'. Wanna know where these people learn their trade, go check out the kids at your local low income neighborhoods. If their parents are bustin' butt to make a livin' and tryin' to give their kids a shot at a better life, those kids'll be fine. But if the parents are low-lifers who spend all their time tryin' to become millionaires through crime and scamming the goverment, then that's probably what their kids will learn to do as well.

This WILL continue until the system (that's us folks) says NO!

Worthless lowlife idiots breed worthless lowlife idiots :beerchug: I think it should be much harder to get welfare.

Is Gov. Scott

Florida is trying or has passed a bill for all welfare recipients to take a drug test prior to receiving their welfare. I agree with this. For the many that will probably pop for drugs, the drug tests will more than pay for themselves in saved money.

Edit: Florida did pass it last Tueday. The bill is being deemed unconstitutional by some... Probably liberals :whistle:
Some say new welfare drug testing bill is unconstitutional

Test em already...I believe this is long overdue!

whos paying for the drug test? while i dont disagree with needing some way to weed out the abusers, i believe this is a fruitless effort, if people are crafty enough to get over on the system and have a "escalade on 22's" in the drive, alot of jewelry, etc etc you think they cant figure out how to fake a UA? i see people do it all the time, its not difficult. i know my companies UA's are $75 just for the drug side, so multiply that across the board for people using that wont get caught, people not using, and the few that are dumb enough to give dirty pee. i dont think it will break even, so were gonna bleed money out even more to the system.

why not actually hire some people, create some jobs, to investigate and assist and put some restrictions on time on assistance along with a mandatory job search effort. and actually enforce it.

whos paying for the drug test? while i dont disagree with needing some way to weed out the abusers, i believe this is a fruitless effort, if people are crafty enough to get over on the system and have a "escalade on 22's" in the drive, alot of jewelry, etc etc you think they cant figure out how to fake a UA? i see people do it all the time, its not difficult. i know my companies UA's are $75 just for the drug side, so multiply that across the board for people using that wont get caught, people not using, and the few that are dumb enough to give dirty pee. i dont think it will break even, so were gonna bleed money out even more to the system.

why not actually hire some people, create some jobs, to investigate and assist and put some restrictions on time on assistance along with a mandatory job search effort. and actually enforce it.

:thumbsup:

Imo I think they should focus on getting people off welfare. drugs or not, my mom used drugs on and off and really don't have much to say about her and she (we) were always on welfare. I remember when I moved out (16) she was mad that it would effect her income.

there is no incentive to get off assistance besides your own personal honor and self worth. sadly that is a trait that is not as strong as it once was. I see people who quite there jobs to get more benefits.

idk.. seems like drug testing is a good idea and then what do you do when they fail and have no help? Do you let them and the children live on the streets? Put them in foster care $$$. if were going to help these people, we need to support them not enable them.
Posted via Mobile Device

At first I felt more live and let live, but after a little thought I'm for tighter controls on the government cheese. There are other areas I would start looking to make cuts, though. Welfare programs are low-hanging fruit but I doubt the cumulative total for expenditures even comes close to the level of other forms of fluff and waste. At least the money is going to folks with legitimate need and the under-average Joe, rather into another tax shelter.

I agree with the amount of waste probably won't amount to much against all other waste, but my job has opened my eyes to a lot ( not all by any means ) of the waste in these programs. I just say it's a shame. The fraud in these programs is tremendous. Start looking at food stamps and SSI and understand that in '93 from memory they passed law that if born after 01-01-60 you had to be 70 years of age to be eligible for SS it makes you sick.

Imo I think they should focus on getting people off welfare. drugs or not, my mom used drugs on and off and really don't have much to say about her and she (we) were always on welfare. I remember when I moved out (16) she was mad that it would effect her income.

there is no incentive to get off assistance besides your own personal honor and self worth. sadly that is a trait that is not as strong as it once was. I see people who quite there jobs to get more benefits.

idk.. seems like drug testing is a good idea and then what do you do when they fail and have no help? Do you let them and the children live on the streets? Put them in foster care $$$. if were going to help these people, we need to support them not enable them.
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you help someone that doesn't want help? They don't want help, they want handouts. How do you go about helping someone that has two kids and no job, refuses to get a job, and has a primary GOAL of maintaining their welfare benefits? They don't want a job.

Life isn't fair, some people don't have the forethought to plan ahead or to take a stake in their own future. I don't see how I should be burdened with their demise. That is what local churches and charity runs are for - not the government.

For those of you who think these kids will be immediately transferred into foster care, from what I understand, that isn't likely. Children will suffer, sure, but suffering builds character. Right now children are being raised to see that being a waste on society has its merits, rather than learning that this is not a good road to go down.

People suffer all around the world, you are not going to fix this problem. Part of the root cause of this problem is that there are people out there that don't want to fix their OWN problem, there is nothing you can do, unless you want to baby them.

If you want to baby them, join a church, give to charity, volunteer, but don't make ME pay taxes for it. I don't want to baby them, I want them to grow up or suffer the consequences. This may sound selfish, fine, so be it.

You know what the difference is though, between free healthcare in America and free healthcare in say.. Honduras? The Hondurans are truly greatful for you taking the time to help them.

Cheers.... :beerchug:

I agree with tis. Arizona as tried twice but it failed to pass each time. I think the state would save tons of cash.

they don't want off because its easy, and can manipulated with little effort. I know people that have been on unemployment for a couple years and they are looking daily for jobs, but when those benefits are done, they are done.

what do you think will happen to kids?

just to set the record strait I am all for a welfare reform. I think a piss test is a great start as well as limiting what they should/can buy. they don't need chips candy pop.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't remember the name of the movie, it was pretty cheesy but it made a great point.

Evolution usually favors the stronger,smarter,more capable. However, these days its different. It showed how a middle income family only have one child where their values are passed down or focus on their career and bypass children altogether.
Whereas the lower income family have 2,3,4,7,9 kids and have THEIR values passed down. You can imagine how the two family trees progress.

To bring the tread back to the op. There needs to be more focused helping up not handing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Contraceptive in, urine test out.

Absolutely agree with the idea. Will it get messed up, yeah. I think that women should be put on contraceptive injections when they get on any kind of assistance, temporary or not. Take the money, take the shot.

:cheerleader: This has been long overdue and i congratulate the state of Florida for passing this bill. Now if the rest of the 49 states will jump on this wagon. This system has been broken for decades and because of that it makes welfare too easy to get. If i have to piss to feed my family so should these free money recipients. The problem is too many recipient don't want the help to better themselves. As far as who's paying for the testing.....thats a no brainer but easy answer.....its those of us who's got a legitimate job and pay taxes in the United States.

Any system with poor controls will be abused by those with such proclivities. But as a compassionate person, I don't necessarily want to see kids starving because Momma has an Oxy habit. I'm in favor of more stringent OVERALL controls on the program,
For what it's worth, the "under-average Joe" I referred to was the globalized abuser of the system. Sure it sucks that he gets a slice of the pie, but I'd rather it be somebody down the street than somebody in the mansion on the hill.

I agree with much better controls, but the cost would be staggering and the corruption would be the same. Every loophole would be found and exploited. The kids are starving now because mom uses every asset on alcohol, drugs, hair dos, nails, etc. Not many think about it, but the children eat breakfast and lunch on the state through the school systems and other programs. The food stamp program is so abused it's ridiculous. You're just asking us to let this continue out of compassion. WTH, you're not helping the kids by allowing these programs to continue to be abused, Oxy, no sir, the biggies in my area are alcohol, weed, and crack. Not to mention the majority of these moms are secretly supporting some worthless bum that comes and goes only taking and never giving, with the exception of physical and mental abuse of mom and the kids.

You're right about the guys in the mansions but the overwhelming amount of money collected by our government comes from the mansions and working middle class. Doesn't excuse it. That needs to be fixed as well.

The kids aren't gonna suffer anymore than they already are. Americans don't know what starvation and malnutrition are. Go on a mission trip sometime out of country.

Sorry about the length, but I could go on for days about what I see every day.

And yes, those that truly need help should get it.

I strongly disagree with this. You shouldn't deny welfare to someone just because they're involved with illegal activities. Next you're going to say we should imprison people who break the law.

Not enough room. My state just amended most laws to place most criminal behavior back in the magistrate courts because the general sessions court can't handle all the repeat offenders. They've also stopped jailing offenders unless it is absolutely needed for the safety of the victims. Non violent offenders are being released early to save money in this weak azz economy. Not exactly a pretty picture except for criminals.

I have the same concerns. If it's not managed correctly it will turn out to be another waste of tax dollars.

Back