Drive Sprocket Cover

Busa45

Registered
I have an 02 Busa with about 24K miles. I'd like to take the sprocket cover off to check the teeth and clean up the area. Does the clutch cylinder have to be removed and/or drained to remove this cover? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nope...not at all. just the 4 bolts that hold it on. Be careful, the bolts are not all the same length. REmember where they go.

Be sure to also clean up the clutch rod and lubricate with a light coat of grease when reinstalling through the rubber boot. You won't believe how much gunk is behind the sprocket cover. I use a squirt type oiler with kerosene and a brush to clean mine, with a plastic pan below to catch the solvent.

Be sure to also clean up the clutch rod and lubricate with a light coat of grease when reinstalling through the rubber boot. You won't believe how much gunk is behind the sprocket cover. I use a squirt type oiler with kerosene and a brush to clean mine, with a plastic pan below to catch the solvent.
+1000 good advice
thumb_up.gif

I have an 02 Busa with about 24K miles. I'd like to take the sprocket cover off to check the teeth and clean up the area. Does the clutch cylinder have to be removed and/or drained to remove this cover? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
No, but it wouldn't hurt to put a C clamp on the slave piston to keep it from "creeping" out of the cylinder if you have it off for more than a short time. And cover the bike if its off overnight....I had a friend come over and decide to "squeeze' the clutch lever when I had the sprocket cover off........bad deal
wowold.gif
sad.gif
crazy.gif

Back