Front Sprocket Cover

I posted some of this on the wrong thread earlier today so sorry for the repeat. I'm using so many threads for things I'm doing on the busa now, it's a little hard to keep track of.

There is a steel plate and foam rubber dampener inside the sprocket cover. If the chain ever comes off and bunches up under the sprocket cover, this is intended to slow it down and if it breaks through the sprocket cover, that could save a foot injury. Delete the plate and dampener at your own risk.
sprocket.cover.steel.plate.rmvl.08.busa.jpg

sprocket.cover.dampers.wght.08.busa.jpg

There's also a steel plate that retains the clutch slave piston when the sprocket cover is removed. I'm leaving that one on for now. I could see it being a real problem to fit and remove the cover to/from the dowel pins if the piston kept popping forward. That might make it necessary to remove the slave cylinder before removing the sprocket cover. I'm replacing the OEM screws with aluminum bolts, barely worth it since they are only 9.25mm long. I used a C-clamp to hold the slave piston and retainer plate down while removing the screw, the piston below pops up that fast. I may just delete the slave cylinder plate and the screws if I determine removing the slave cylinder and then the sprocket cover isn't too much trouble....and hopefully I would remember to do that whenever I took the sprocket cover off. :laugh:
clutch.slave.piston.retaner.remvl2.08busa.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: so obviously you've never had that cover of before but let's make sure u do a lot more now that you know what your dealing with and keep that thing clean cause that sure is a lot of buildup. I'm guessing you use chain wax??
Actually most of that goo you see in the picture on p1 of this thread is high temp axle grease. I use to use it on the chain to prevent rust during storage but I'm sure that's overkill. Nothing is going to rust if there's not water dripping on it. Even if you wipe that high temp grease off before riding, you can't get all of it out. It sticks to the chain pretty well but it still flings off and it's high temp so it doesn't melt from engine heat. That's why it's all over under my sprocket cover. Yeah, I'll be cleaning that out.

For more info on my adventures in sprocket cover removal, visit this thread:

I remembered this thread but I couldn't find it, it's been so long since I started this whole project. I'm on it now and it will get done the way it should.

Back