dragging pegs on the street...

slammiam

Registered
Has anyone managed to drag their pegs on the street? I've been pushing the limits of my 'busa lately and I'm wondering at what point I'm in danger of low siding (sans sand or gravel).

only a couple of times here. Lightly at that. Once was in Oxnard, CA visiting my old college buddy who's on a 92 750 Gixxer. We went down Vineyard where it ended sharply to a left (15 mph posted) and turned into another street name. I'll remember not to take it that hot now, not unless I have the pegs feelers off and my knee sliders on.

Dragging pegs is bad. Period. Street, or track.

I drag my toe slider once on my recent track day. Oh, I replaced stock pegs with LP 360 poles which are much shorter, so my stator cover would touch first (at least on the left side).

Anyway, if you move your butt a little to the inside, and move your upper body to the inside also, you won't touch even stock pegs that easily.

If you are trely dragging your pegs look at some after market rearsets the are higher and set back a little more.

drag a knee before you drag pegs. hike off the side more. especially during commuter traffic

drag a knee before you drag pegs. hike off the side more. especially during commuter traffic

cuz twice drives the point home

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "stupid computers"|1098219207 -->

THis past weekend I had sparks flyin from the footpegs on my Busa through the twisties...
Made for comical dialog after the fact.:)

Best Idea really to ease up in the twisties on a lowered Busa you crazy Mutha!!!! But I tell ya it was impressive to see... crazy...
smile.gif
Cecil was killing me and worrying an RC51 for a little while... Was a good show...

On a serious note, before your draggin pegs you should have your ass and the rest of you off that seat and inside the bike a bit, the more you get to the inside the less lean required for a corner. Just a thought...

I've dragged the pegs a few times on my SV650... don't feel too comfortable about it tho... I'm perfectly fine with doing wheelies, stoppies, etc, but i really dont want my bike sliding from under me on going around a curve at very high speeds (which is usually necessary to get that much of a lean). I would really hate to low side going like 100 mph into oncomming traffic, light post, house, fence, (insert any other large object with high inertia here), etc.
sad.gif

Best Idea really to ease up in the twisties on a lowered Busa you crazy Mutha!!!! But I tell ya it was impressive to see... crazy...
smile.gif
Cecil was killing me and worrying an RC51 for a little while... Was a good show...

On a serious note, before your draggin pegs you should have your ass and the rest of you off that seat and inside the bike a bit, the more you get to the inside the less lean required for a corner. Just a thought...
You're right... need more practice...

I'm heading up for a quick north run through the twisties now... wanna go?

If you're scared... Say you're Scared...
wink.gif

I ain't skeered... I'm uh... Occupied!!! Yeah that's it...

From where I am at it'll be dark before I get there... No joy in the dark, unless you got some NVG's for me... Maybe a helmet mounted FLIR...

Not saying you needed more practice... Your comfortable enough, just from watchin FROM BEHIND, a shift to the inside would cut down on the amount of bondo your going to need to patch them fairings...
laugh.gif

My opinion;

The stock peg feelers are there to indicate to the rider that the motorcycle is at it's safe limit. To go further is to risk crashing.

However, if you have sticker tires, racy suspension, other mods to enhance the corner ability of the bike. Then you can obivously go lower.

Best Idea really to ease up in the twisties on a lowered Busa you crazy Mutha!!!!  But I tell ya it was impressive to see...  crazy...  
smile.gif
  Cecil was killing me and worrying an RC51 for a little while...  Was a good show...

On a serious note, before your draggin pegs you should have your ass and the rest of you off that seat and inside the bike a bit, the more you get to the inside the less lean required for a corner.  Just a thought...

wink.gif
So Cecil, how did that ride go?
rock.gif

Cecil,,,,,,,,, Dude,,,,,,,,,,,, Post the address of your local hospital! If you are sitting upright, draging your foot pegs wearing those jeans, your busa friends need to know where to send the "Get Well Soon" cards while you are getting skin grafts
sad.gif

smile.gif

wink.gif
So Cecil, how did that ride go?
rock.gif

Cecil,,,,,,,,, Dude,,,,,,,,,,,, Post the address of your local hospital! If you are sitting upright, draging your foot pegs wearing those jeans, your busa friends need to know where to send the "Get Well Soon" cards while you are getting skin grafts
sad.gif
Thanks for keeping me honest...
Your are right...
Need to invest in more gear...
...and tires
...and brakes
...and a chain
...and sprockets

However, you are dead-on... I need more gear.

www.newenough.com ;)

Cecil, I was ragging on you a little for not wearing leathers. But it was a friendly rag. But Dude, if you are down low enough to drag your footpeg and still sitting square in the saddle, you are dancing on thin ice. Get your bum off the seat and your chin out over the mirror. Sitting square in the saddle will push that prized busa right out from under you at that lean angle and the stickiest tires on the face of the earth won't save you. The best experience anyone can get is to spend a day at the track attending one of the many race schools offered in most areas. Just one day of instruction and you will leave with lots more confidence as well as improving your skill level. Guys who ride at 100% on the street eventually end up on the deck. I crashed a three month old busa last fall by pushing a bit to hard. We hauled my busa home in pieces and I couldn't ride for a month while healing up. I had full leathers and they were barked up all over. If I had not had leathers, I'm not sure I would have survived? My leathers were a mess but they performed well. I never dreamed I'd crash that warm day in September. But then none of us ever leave the house thinking this will be the day! Most of my friends have this theory about riding, "There are those who have crashed and there are those who will crash". We have about ten guys in our riding group and each and every one of them have been on the deck. So do yourself a great favor my friend, if you are going to ride hard, invest in a good suit of leathers. What size pants do you wear? I may have a set of Joe Rocket pants I'd give you if you would wear them? I crashed in them once and they have a few scars but still good.

Cecil, I was ragging on you a little for not wearing leathers. But it was a friendly rag. But Dude, if you are down low enough to drag your footpeg and still sitting square in the saddle, you are dancing on thin ice. Get your bum off the seat and your chin out over the mirror. Sitting square in the saddle will push that prized busa right out from under you at that lean angle and the stickiest tires on the face of the earth won't save you. The best experience anyone can get is to spend a day at the track attending one of the many race schools offered in most areas. Just one day of instruction and you will leave with lots more confidence as well as improving your skill level. Guys who ride at 100% on the street eventually end up on the deck. I crashed a three month old busa last fall by pushing a bit to hard. We hauled my busa home in pieces and I couldn't ride for a month while healing up. I had full leathers and they were barked up all over. If I had not had leathers, I'm not sure I would have survived? My leathers were a mess but they performed well. I never dreamed I'd crash that warm day in September. But then none of us ever leave the house thinking this will be the day! Most of my friends have this theory about riding, "There are those who have crashed and there are those who will crash". We have about ten guys in our riding group and each and every one of them have been on the deck. So do yourself a great favor my friend, if you are going to ride hard, invest in a good suit of leathers. What size pants do you wear? I may have a set of Joe Rocket pants I'd give you if you would wear them? I crashed in them once and they have a few scars but still good.
Thanks...
I has been years since I crashed on the street...
Long enough to forget....
I hear ya... Gear is Key!

I wear about a 34 waist / 34 length or so...

Thanks again!

i barely scraped my peg on a stock busa going through deals gap this summer but was low enough to scape the right side faring on the ground. i dont see how you could scape pegs without getting into your fairings. at least the right side, the left side never touched.

Back