Pegging the speedo

SO YOUR SAYING THAT THE BUSA READING 186 YOUR ONLY GOING 168. IF SO THEN YOUR SAYING WHEN IM GOING 100 IM REALLY ONLY GOING 80? HOWS THAT SO.. I MEAN IF YOUR GIONG 100 AND YOU WATCH IT GO UP TO 186 WOULDNT IT MEAN YOUR GOING 186 NOT 168
rock.gif
? SOMEONE HLEP ME OUT HERE IM LOST?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??
rock.gif
rock.gif
Here's a no BS answer for ya.
biggrin.gif

The speed sensor is an electronic device. It uses a magnetic pickup sensor that emmits a magnetic field. This sensor is placed over a gear in the transmission. As the teeth of the gear pass through this magnetic field, the voltage in the sensor wiring changes. This causes pulsations in the voltage. These pulses are measured by a pulse counter (processor), and then based on the number of pulses, an electrical signal is sent to the servo that turns the shaft of the speedometer, upon which, the speedometer needle is mounted.

The difference in true speed and indicated speed is a function of instrumentation error. This error is caused by the pulse counter/sensor not accurately reading the number of pulses per second. If the count is off, then the resultant output will be off proportionally. This is usually around 5% to 8% on the Hayabusa, and other Suzuki's.

Example:
Engine RPM = 10,000
Final Drive RPM = 6,000 (I'm guessing here)
Gear teeth = 40
Pulses=24,000 per minute, or 400 per second

For your error to be 8% off, it would only have to miss 32 pulses per second.

Hope this helps you understand why there is a difference. A speedo healer is like a gain knob. It provides an additional amount of pulses based on a conversion factor defined by positioning a series of DIP switches. A speedo healer will allow your true speed and indicated speed to be very, very close.

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Damnit STKR, stop confusing me with accurate technical information......the speedo is controlled by voodoo priests and can only be corrected by the sacrificing of virgin rear tires and generous amounts of fuel.

Sorry tbone
tounge.gif
Just trying to give some help where I can.

I had a problem with the speedo on my Electra-Glide, and it turned out to be tiny metallic wear particle from the transmission break-in that collected on the magnetic sensor. Cleaned them off a couple of time, and never had another problem. That's how I know about the sensor stuff.
laugh.gif

Back