Pegging the speedo

Dulimon

Registered
Growing up pushing top speeds on various modes of transportation I have had the needle peg and went beyond to find out sometimes speedos don't react well to the tachs reach to redline. I've pegged my Busa, but with the error in the speedo and 185 peg, yet I have room to sweep the tach. Will the cable or other components fail or can I run her to the redline without damage to the Speedo after the peg??

<!--EDIT|Dulimon
Reason for Edit: "Spelling &quot;Damn Scotch&quot;"|1094351834 -->

Can't say for sure, but I am guessing lot of folks with 185 speedo topped her, and I've never heard about speedo going bad.

I am sure someone with hard fact will chime in.
cool.gif

Nether have I heard nor read about the subject. So I'm curious whether I'll snap a component in the speedo or spend gas money to have something fixed. THNX for your reply
40__s.gif

FWIW, the speedo is electronic, so there is no cable. Meaning to say, everything is done by electric pulses from the sensor on/near the countershaft.

The actual needle is not moved by gearing down a spinning cable but by a very thin electric motor behind the gauge face that responds to the sensor output.

That's how things like the Acumen gear indicator can work -- they just monitor the pulses to the tach and the speedo to deduce the gear.

I hate to break your bubble but pegging the speedo at 185 is about 168mph true. You can keep going on the speedo until the Revlimiter pops in. You will hit a true 186mph more if the bike is de-restricted.

laugh.gif
Yeah what they said.

BUT do not forget to lubricate your instrument cluster about ever 600 miles or so. If you don't the speedo will progressively get more and more out of whack along with the other instruments, and it'll start making a ticking sound at idle.

If you head to the dealership, the guys at the parts counter should be able to show you where the Cluster Cleaner is kept. Just let em know you need Cluster Cleaner and that it's for a Hayabusa, there is special fitting specifically for the Busa so you'll need to be specific.

Rev

laugh.gif
  Yeah what they said.  

BUT do not forget to lubricate your instrument cluster about ever 600 miles or so.  If you don't the speedo will progressively get more and more out of whack along with the other instruments, and it'll start making a ticking sound at idle.

If you head to the dealership, the guys at the parts counter should be able to show you where the Cluster Cleaner is kept.  Just let em know you need Cluster Cleaner and that it's for a Hayabusa, there is special fitting specifically for the Busa so you'll need to be specific.

Rev
you are gettin' nastier by the second....

are you off yer medication again.....

some mediator you are.......
guns.gif

laugh.gif
  Yeah what they said.  

BUT do not forget to lubricate your instrument cluster about ever 600 miles or so.  If you don't the speedo will progressively get more and more out of whack along with the other instruments, and it'll start making a ticking sound at idle.

If you head to the dealership, the guys at the parts counter should be able to show you where the Cluster Cleaner is kept.  Just let em know you need Cluster Cleaner and that it's for a Hayabusa, there is special fitting specifically for the Busa so you'll need to be specific.

Rev
LOL; your good Rev thats just funny as hell....

OOOUUCH!! You guys are brutal...It's all good though, the next day after the scotch I read my post and remembered when I changed my front sprocket I came across the sensor. Moral of the story don't drink and post. Now excuse me while I get a tissue
face7.gif
Hope to get the chance to meet you guys during the Virginia fall ride if it comes together.

smile.gif
What? OK OK my bad it is Cluster Cleaner/Lube. Neglect it at your risk folks but I lube mine after every oil change.
wink.gif

And don't forget to ask for the headlight and blinker fluid while you're at the dealer.. you get a good deal if you buy all of it at the same time.
laugh.gif

Oh yeah I forgot to ask about the high speed mirror bolts. Do they come in a package or is it only available to Canadians and Floridians. BTW - I work for FEMA and FL has another Hurricane on the way. "So you might need a little help" Ever since pot was legalized in Canada everyone is a comedian so the next time your doing 190 check your speedometer. Pot is known to affect your perception of speed.
"I know that I'm setting myself up for a rough welcoming"
newbie.gif

It's all good... Just make certain that your Highspeed Mirro bolts are OEM. Aftermarket bolts aren't strong enough and cuase a squeak at high speeds....

Welcome to the board man!

Oh and thanks for the Fuggin reminder of yet ANOTHER fuggin Storm...
biggrin.gif

Thank you and your welcome Revlis...I hope you and your family are safe and doing well. We have been slammed the last few weeks from the hurricanes and the bike is just sitting. We are getting some rain here from Francis and are expecting the rest to hit in a few days so we might get some heavy flooding. Keep a eye on Ivan, You guys don't need another one plus I have family in Bradenton.

My future brother in-law works at the fire house… Every time probationary firefighters come in, they send them to the nearest hospital to pick-up some fallopian tubes. Then, they call the hospital and tell them he is coming… The hospital tells him/her that they are fresh out and sends ‘em to another hospital!!!

ROFL!

Anyway... To answer the question... What everyone else said is just fine.

-Rip

SO YOUR SAYING THAT THE BUSA READING 186 YOUR ONLY GOING 168. IF SO THEN YOUR SAYING WHEN IM GOING 100 IM REALLY ONLY GOING 80? HOWS THAT SO.. I MEAN IF YOUR GIONG 100 AND YOU WATCH IT GO UP TO 186 WOULDNT IT MEAN YOUR GOING 186 NOT 168
rock.gif
? SOMEONE HLEP ME OUT HERE IM LOST?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

The busa does not have a cable for the speedo, it is done with electronics, yes they are off, the faster you go, the more they are off. It is more like 10-15 mph I believe. The slower you go the less it is off. You can fix this with a speedo healer.

Back