Dragging a Knee ???

:whistle: Ok, going to really sound like a noob here but still trying to figure out the physical parts of getting a knee down.... I did some street riding over the weekend and cannot get leaned over far enough without having to straighten up (turning too sharp).

I am no author, but here is a go at what I am doing (wrong)....

Coming up on some curved roads, tires are feeling good, comfortable on the bike:
coming up on a right hand curve nothing sharp, just a nice 35mph (ish) arc. Getting ready for the turn I set myself near the yellow line, put about half a cheek :moon: off to the right side, relax arms, down shift to 3rd, RPMs are around 3500-4000, find a mark in road to decide when to drop her down and make the turn..... Smooth on the throttle, head down to 'kiss the mirror', watch my mark, (and if any oncoming cars/ road hazards) then at the mark we roll just a bit on the throttle, and dip,...away we go leaning good, feels solid but not leaning much, lean some more.... then it all goes wrong. We cut the curve too sharp so I end up straightening up then reengage the curve.
Later in the outing, I got into some twisties, left – right- left - out combos and just rode the way felt comfortable. I found myself going FASTER, leaning and felt good (controlled, balanced) but I didn’t lean OFF of the bike. What gives?
I got confused (frustrated) why is it I can watch video of guys going almost straight and hang off the bike, but when I do it, she wants to cut the curve in half???

I am open to suggestions, but after watching that vid in the linked thread.... I think I found the answer.... I counter steer out of habit (instinct) now.... all the time, nothing like that feeling... 'There is the curve, hold it straight.... then snap, down and away through the curve’:thumbsup:

Like I said, I have little to no interest in scuffing a puck for 'cool factor' but I do want to widen my riding skills and knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for the thread jacking…. :whistle:

knee draggin' is over rated :rofl:
It's actually a result of good speed, form, and the lean angle to make the turn at higher speeds without tucking the front end. The fastest roadracers only SKIM their pucks, and not grind. I started off grinding, but working on skimming and in some instances, not dragging in corners that it's not necessary.

knee draggin' is over rated :rofl:
It's actually a result of good speed, form, and the lean angle to make the turn at higher speeds without tucking the front end. The fastest roadracers only SKIM their pucks, and not grind. I started off grinding, but working on skimming and in some instances, not dragging in corners that it's not necessary.

Care to share some of your knowlege? how to do you balance 'skim vs grind'?

Dragging a knee should be a result ... not a goal.

Thats the truth..
You have to be skilled and know yourselfe,your bike and the road you're riding on..
If everything is perfect and your body position is good then you'll drag and go really fast with safety..Better in a racetrack not on public roads...

No knee down for me but my toes are taking a hammering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to watch my toes, I wear a size 15 US. Plus I have a set of lowered pegs. That being said; If I hang off and get my knee out, then the knee touches first.

Knee-dragger thread. :laugh: That stuff is bad. Don't do it. Super dangerous stuff.

Hayabusa was only designed to go in straight lines. At least that's what I've heard.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

In all seriousness, being short is a non-issue. What difference should that make. Your lowered bike, that's another story now that you've changed the geometry of the bike. Why not go try it and let us know how it turns out. Make sure to bring your camera. :thumbsup:

displayimage.php

In all seriousness, being short is a non-issue. What difference should that make. Your lowered bike, that's another story now that you've changed the geometry of the bike. Why not go try it and let us know how it turns out.

Because when the Busa is lowered it drags hard parts on the road(fairings, exhaust) even easier, especially the the right side, the engine sits out futher than the left. If your legs aren't long enough, you'de really be off the seat.
Just know if you're dragging the fairing or a pipe, you're askin for a lowside, slide and crash.

What's a "Fitted Rearset"? Never heard that term before? :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno what you guys call em they replace the stock front foot pegs, brake and gear lever giving you a choice of positions lifting them up and back usually found on race bikes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg

liltroy was spot on
and i don't like dragging on the street anymore. there's SOO much stuff that can go wrong; so much stuff on the road you may not see coming. even when i ride fast on the street, i leave a margin of skill to handle errors and surprises that happen. 100% of my ability is left only for the track. i wrecked at the track doing 100mph and walked away from it. wouldn't expect the same result anywhere out in public

Dragging a knee should be a result ... not a goal.

I disagree, If you make it a goal to do it and (do it the right way) then you will get results from it.:thumbsup:

Back