Dragging a Knee ???

Busa Boi 09

Registered
Maybe this should have been put in the track section, but this seems appropriate enough. I am 5' 5". My body is proportionately sized. Now if you do the math, that doesn't leave much leg length and if you cut THAT number in half (knee location) that doesn't leave me a much. NOW, when dragging a knee, I know the basics and all, but is it feasible for me to pull that off with a lowered Busa and being so short? It seems I wold hang to hang off more and create twice the lean as someone who is maybe 6" tall to accomplish the same thing (The thrill of dragging that knee for the first time).

Mani

Short legs, lowered bike, dragging your knee?

Probably ain't gonna happen!

But then, if you hang your arse way off the bike you just might make it happen?

Just wear platform pucks :whistle:

I will have to get pics of those if I find them...:lol:

I have gone through the motion just hitting on/off ramps. It still seems like there is a ways to go before I get a knee close to anything. It almost seems like I would have to lean so much that I would lose control just trying to get my knee down...and probably tear off my Voo Doo pipes in the process, if the bike didn't slide out from under me first.

Mani

I recently just started draggin my knee after 30 years of riding. Scared the you no what out of me the first time i hit my puck, after that its now a guide..30 bucks a puck ouch its getting expensive:laugh: :thumbsup:

I can say it is easyer to put my left knee down then it is my right. I guess im more confident putting it down to a left turn.

Last edited:
why are u so focused on dragging your knee? trying to drag a knee just for the sake of doing it is just a good way to wreck your bike. instead, focus on proper body position and the knee drag will "just happen" when you get to that level. just be sure that when it does your wearing the proper gear... first time my knee touched down i wasnt even trying to drag a knee... i had just finished reading an article about properly weighting the pegs and was out working on hanging off without hanging off "too much" and it just happened! unfortunately i was wearing a pair of icon jeans at the time! roughed the seam up a little,lol. so i bought velcro and had it stitched on and boom!I've now got a pair of riding jeans with knee pucks,lol and they work quit well, especially sense i cant afford leathers at the moment. u should see the looks i get. damnit, im rambling...My point was, its not a good idea to focus on dragging a knee just to do it. focus on proper technique and when you've got it right that knee will hit on its own and alot more safely.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will have to get pics of those if I find them...:lol:

I have gone through the motion just hitting on/off ramps. It still seems like there is a ways to go before I get a knee close to anything. It almost seems like I would have to lean so much that I would lose control just trying to get my knee down...and probably tear off my Voo Doo pipes in the process, if the bike didn't slide out from under me first.

Mani

Off ramps are the worst place, all the crap lands up there, .... oil, anti freeze, sand. Save it for the track.

Knee-dragger thread. :laugh: That stuff is bad. Don't do it. Super dangerous stuff.

Hayabusa was only designed to go in straight lines. At least that's what I've heard.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

In all seriousness, being short is a non-issue. What difference should that make. Your lowered bike, that's another story now that you've changed the geometry of the bike. Why not go try it and let us know how it turns out. Make sure to bring your camera. :thumbsup:

displayimage.php

The best way to scrape is to find an isolated round about or set up some cones in an empty parking lot. Leave the bike in 2nd gear and gradually pick up the speed to your comfort zone. Pay attention on your body position, don't exaggerate and maintain a smooth throttle until you start scraping. Also raise that bike up if you want to scrape, and make sure to get the both tires warmed up 30/30 or less psi on both!!! Practice this until you get lower and lower. Trust me it will touch down when you least expected it.

Last edited:
unless you are SUPER smurf short youll be able to drag knee, but is doesnt mean your cornering correctly and faster....taller guys can do it easier yes...it just takes practice and form perfection which is more important, we got a guy who rides with us on sunday rides...same height as you...except hes on an SV1000, and its raised....he drags, but he is also very skilled and a great rider...

The best way to scrape is to find an isolated round about or set up some cones in an empty parking lot. Leave the bike in 2nd gear and gradually pick up the speed to your comfort zone. Pay attention on your body position, don't exaggerate and maintain a smooth throttle until you start scraping. Also raise that bike up if you want to scrape, and make sure to get the both tires warmed up 30/30 or less psi on both!!! Practice this until you get lower and lower. Trust me it will touch down when you least expected it.

THIS is the kind of info I am looking for. is there a 'step by step' how to drag a knee posted here? or any where?? For me, I don't care to drag a knee, but I do want to know HOW to corner at higher speeds. if my knee touchs fine, if not fine. But I do want to expand my skill base.

I find myself wondering (when watching vids of a knee down):
*What speed is he at?
*What gear is he in?
*What is the RPM?
*What is the tire pressure?
*How long has be been on the street (tire temp)?
:bowdown:
Stuff like that. :whistle:

find a concrete lot if you can. Avoid sealed asphalt lots.

The body position helps with cornering speed the knee is simply a measuring device to let you know how low you are.

Back