do you really need to drag your knee?

It looks magical! :poke:

It is. These are our local roads.

Imagine curvy twisty stuff for hundreds of miles.

Come see me sometime.

DSC01311.jpg

(we shot that photo on the previous page in this stretch. This sequence of curves goes for 15 miles like this.)

DSC01311.jpg

It's probably more my riding style(and bad habits).
Ever since I got a Busa of my own my cornering is much different than 1000's. I thought at first that the busa was just as fast through them, but I've since changed my mind. I really have to hang my ass of the side of the seat to get a knee down on the Busa, and I've scraped my right lower fairing(and both stock mufflers when I had them)too many times. Yes, asking for a lowside. Despite the slight extra effort to flick the Busa side to side, it just doesn't handle quite the same as the 1000...obviously. On the 1000s my side to side movement in the seat is minimal in comparison, and my knees hit much easier.

I had a similar experience when I first started riding my liter bike. I was so used to the stability that is innate to the busa that the liter bike felt a little too "flighty" to get comfortable on. Took me a few hundred miles of street riding and a track day to really get the hang of the smaller bike. Now the GSXR 1K has had the suspension taken care of and the busa on its feels like a motor home in comparison.

My two cent ridding tips. If your leaning way off the bike and still having a problem getting the knee to hit before the hard parts... Make sure your sag is set and make sure your head is down by the mirror or where the mirror should be.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get past the memory of the first time I saw my wife in her underwear SteveO :laugh: you have such a way with words :thumbsup:

I'm still in that excitement mode of "almost there, almost there!" trying to touch that knee. While I've done it a few times on the track, I'm still not comfortable with it yet; I'm sure after that it won't be nearly a big a deal as it is right now....

Keith you are not alone! Dragging a knee still scares the crap ot of me still. This more so after my left injury. I dont drag knee often, even at the track. I focus on my lines in and out of the corners. Focusing on being as smooth as possible, and consistent with my body position. The only bike I was super comfortable dragging a knee was on my aprilia rsv 1k. The inlines dont gi e me the confidence to be that far over. I tend to ride the busa with a more squaring off the corner style. She is heavier and longer wheel based then the 1ks on down. So the bike requires more time to slow and transition into the same corners. Slow in fast out... I try to ride the busa to its strengths... Motor out of the corner with its torque...... And square off the corner to spend Less time on its side to get on the gas sooner. On the 1k I tend to go in hotter and carry more over all corner speed then I do on the busa. But again this is due to differences in bikes. The busa has this all against it... The busa is wider... (Weak point) The busa is heavier... (Weak point) The busa is longer and takes more to turn in (Weak point)

To sum up what I wrote above. Get the technique down of line choice, body position, and look at your platform as a total package. Strengths and weakiness.... You as a rider.... Your bike..

If you guys lived in sunny Florida, you would not have to do all this work to drag a knee. no curves, no knee dragging!:thumbsup: I just ride......

It is. These are our local roads.

Imagine curvy twisty stuff for hundreds of miles.

Come see me sometime.

View attachment 211295

(we shot that photo on the previous page in this stretch. This sequence of curves goes for 15 miles like this.)

We too, have lost of fun twisty roads to play on!

I would love to come ride with you Tim!

Lolo Pass Idaho 197.jpg

Like wise Tuff!:cheerleader: I enjoy riding and learning to be better!:rulez::laugh: You got a lot of knowledge and skill I could use!:bowdown:

Tim, I feel very, very fortunate to have access to seemingly endless, desolate, twisty roads up here.

As you know, track time in a controlled environment is where advanced skills are developed! But man there is nothing like spending a day in the back country on twisty mountain roads to warm ones heart and bring appreciation to living in this great country of ours!

It almost evens out though.. Florida the weather is nice but the roads are straight, Olympia Washington has curvy roads but you have to ride in the rain..

It almost evens out though.. Florida the weather is nice but the roads are straight, Olympia Washington has curvy roads but you have to ride in the rain..

You could have gone all day without reminding me of that Cap! But,,,,,,,,,,,,, if we didn't have all this rain we'd have the entire state of California living up here :laugh:

It's raining as we speak and 45 degrees. We have soggy winters indeed. However, in another month we'll be getting decent riding days on occasions.

I'm actually thinking about moving in with Blanca for the winter come November. Anyway, Blanca's bike is much nicer than mine! :beerchug:

Back