Dog Bills. What would be your limit or is there not one?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
As far as how much you would spend on your Dog/pet to make them right?
Took Rosie in to get her teeth cleaned and possibly a couple extracted. Blood work shows liver problems. She's an 8-9 yr old Chihuahua in good shape. Obv a member of the family. I'm broker than a stick done in twenty pieces but again she's like a child to me. So now I'm looking at $12-1500 in medical bills I have no idea how to pay but I told them to go ahead and do whats necessary.

So what's your limit?
Is there one?
Would you say no way? If so then what?

i would do the same thing you are doing.my animals are a part of the family.just spent over 2 grand on my dam cat.and he was a stray to boot.

Yeah me too. Can't say no.
I just hope the mortgage company understands I spent their money on my dog :)

I had x3 $5k each operations done for my dog. I was always willing to spend whatever it took as long as it meant a better life for him. He survived for years after.

Try having this conversation with a spouse who is about to be a Vet. It has never ended well in my house, no yelling or anything just never a good consensus.

For me it comes down to quality of life. If (s)he can continue to have a good quality of life after the procedure, I'm doing it. If there is a greater chance that I am just prolonging the suffering for my greedy benefit: close the curtains, we're done.

One of my employees has a small terrier that has lymphoma (cancer). The poor dog has gone through chemo for the last 6 months and the lymph nodes are only growing larger.

A lot of it has to do with the dog's future quality of life. If spending money is going to keep my pup alive, but miserable, well... It's a difficult decision, but you'll know the right choice in your heart.

I adopted Ardley as a puppy, about 5 years ago. A couple of weeks after I got him, I caught him chewing on the handle of a disposable razor, but the razor's head was nowhere to be found. We went to the emergency animal hospital at 1 AM for x-rays, where they saw the chewed up three-blade head in his stomach. They were afraid of internal bleeding and took him straight into surgery.

I picked him up the next day for about $1500. I was in college at the time, and had to call for a limit increase on my credit card, but still maxed it out. Today, he's a healthy, happy pooch and the card has long since been paid off. I'd do it all again in a second.

At the time, we knew he would be able to make a full recovery and still have lots of happy years ahead of him. I think that's what you have to base the decision on. What is really best for the dog's life?

this is funny cuz i just picked up my dog yesterday from the vet, just gettin a check up...cost me $250 bucks...and then they tell me i have to bring back for a teeth cleaning, that's gonna cost $145 bucks. OMG... but you what? she's all worth it.:clap:

Westie.jpg

My dog is my best friend. She's an 11yr old yellow lab, and I just found out ($1000 later) that she does not have diabetes, but a glucose spill from her kidneys.

I couldnt put a price on her health any more than I could on my own.

they all say dogs eat grass to settle thier stomach...well thats totally wrong and my brother found out after his dog ate grass and it clogged in its intestine and cost him $2600 to get dog from dieing...

so dont let your dog eat grass...just smoke it:whistle::rofl:

Man, my three pitbulls are like my kids, money is just a material thing and more money will be made, but the only way i would put my dog down is like y'all said above....

I have spent a couple thousand on my Boxers...

I actually spent $140 on my daughters pet rat:banghead:

I would sell my 'Busa to fund an operation for my dog.

End of story.:rulez:

It depends on how many years the dog "should " have left and will they be comfortable . Then do I have enough money to spend . It sounds kinda wrong but I think that is alot for a dog that will only be around a few more years . If I made tons of money sure why not , but i'm not going to drain my savings .My Huskey is 13 and costs about $50 a month in meds . If it were much more and I couldn't do it , I'm not going to go broke and use my savings that I will need to retire to keep him a couple more years. Its a hard choice , I've already almost had to put down a couple of my kids

I agree, future quality of life would be the ultimate factor. My sheltie I had to put down in March was just about to turn 15 years old. I spent a couple hundred bucks on him a month between prescription food, thyroid medication, kidney medication, arthritis medication............man's best friend.

I spent £90 once to have lumps taken out of my two rats. One of my cats had to have a Cesarean which cost £340 but she died a few days later me and Lynne were so upset about it, not the cost because she had died, she was a lovely cat, all her kittens had to be brought up by hand, fed every two hours then every four hours, but they all died whihin six weeks except one Garfield, this is the one who says Alright alright and shouts Hello.
Now Garfield got his leg ripped open once and that cost £360 to get fixed.
And the vets here only take cash so no paying weekly or monthly, but about 14 miles from us there is a RSPCA vet who charges £10 pounds for a consultation and not much after that, We always pay what we can if we have to use them. Like GsxrBots if it came to it I would sell my Busa.
If any of my animals were in distress or their quality of life was not good or they were in pain I think with a heavy heart I would have to do the best for them.
But for anything else I would pay for treatment if I could. Our animals don't ask us to buy them, and if we do I think we have a responsibility to look after them as best we can.
I know at times you cannot do this for one reason or another and fair enough if you can't cope you will maybe have to let them go. But my animals are part of my family, their like my children, each have their own personality's. I just think you have to make hard decisions sometimes.

Back