Is this really necessary? Taking your DOG everywhere...

Seriously?!!!!!! I would’ve been pissed! @VaBusa you should start being Sheldon everywhere and let him roam free to see how many toes will go missing............

Sheldon is waaaayyyy past eating toes....he devours your car now :crazy::p

SheldonAttacks.jpg

And here is a gratuitous shot of the best cat on the planet - Bear, thinks he's a dog. In retrospect, he's so lovable despite is "always annoyed" look, I think he would have been a great cat to take to nursing homes because all he wants his for someone to pet him. He's estimated to be 17 years old, and has the most interesting habits for those that see him on FaceBook.

He crawled in my lap while we were playing cards, and I wish you could see, his paws were on the table too :laugh:

A friend changed the name of the cards...

BearCatsAgainstHumanity.png

Sorry to have affended, your a compassionate group. I’m a hard old man from a different age, and don’t belong with this group in this thread.
I didn't take offense, and I agree with your point, to an extent. But I think even a hard old man from a different age can recognize that things could and probably should have been done a bit differently back then. Not to the extreme where we are at now, but a lot of guys from your generation had issues that weren't attended to and ended up in some really bad places.

I didn't take offense, and I agree with your point, to an extent. But I think even a hard old man from a different age can recognize that things could and probably should have been done a bit differently back then. Not to the extreme where we are at now, but a lot of guys from your generation had issues that weren't attended to and ended up in some really bad places.

Agreed! I've seen Veterans with service dogs. You can usually tell how much they struggle with just being "out" among a crowd, and they aren't there for you to say "oh what a cute puppy" and then you two chat it up a bit. They are hard core and suffering, even witnessed some tell others "do not pet my dog", so there's a HUGE difference between what those guys are going through and what that dog is helping them with vs what I see in the carts at Home Depot and Walmart. It's night and day difference; one is helping someone in need and the other is just someone deciding I get to take Fido everywhere now...

And here is a gratuitous shot of the best cat on the planet - Bear, thinks he's a dog. In retrospect, he's so lovable despite is "always annoyed" look, I think he would have been a great cat to take to nursing homes because all he wants his for someone to pet him. He's estimated to be 17 years old, and has the most interesting habits for those that see him on FaceBook.

He crawled in my lap while we were playing cards, and I wish you could see, his paws were on the table too :laugh:

A friend changed the name of the cards...

View attachment 1589310
AHHH!!, That cat is awesome and does not look a day over 1 year. Cats do intimidate me I always am concerned what is going through their head. Great animals though, super independent...I just got the self scooping litter box too..My cats take care of themselves.

AHHH!!, That cat is awesome and does not look a day over 1 year. Cats do intimidate me I always am concerned what is going through their head. Great animals though, super independent...I just got the self scooping litter box too..My cats take care of themselves.

Bear is the bomb! I post so many vids and photos of him on FaceBook, some may call me crazy cat lady :poke:

He doesn't even move for the vacuum cleaner...it just has to go all around him. He's my kind of cat :laugh:

Guys can we spin the thread a little bit to feed my curiosities?, Hauie and a few others, mentioned they have or know someone who has benefited from a service companion dog. I have always wondered, what is it that these dogs are trained to do? I know seeing eye dogs is obvious they help lead the blind but companion dogs is it a crowd control thing? Is it more so the animal looking out for the individual or an emotional reprieve on the humans side?

Guys can we spin the thread a little bit to feed my curiosities?, Hauie and a few others, mentioned they have or know someone who has benefited from a service companion dog. I have always wondered, what is it that these dogs are trained to do? I know seeing eye dogs is obvious they help lead the blind but companion dogs is it a crowd control thing? Is it more so the animal looking out for the individual or an emotional reprieve on the humans side?

Over the years, researchers have found that dogs can be trained to sense things largely unnoticed by humans. Dogs have been trained to detect the presence of an impending seizure or a PTSD event and can be trained to act certain ways during those events. There are plenty of reasons why people need support animals but as mentioned, that privilege gets abused by those who dont truly need them and it gives a bad impression to those who do.

I've watched stories about dogs being trained to sense when someone with PTSD is about to have an attack, and they are trained to react, diverting attention from whatever that person is focused on to the dog, by nudging the person, pawing, etc...anything to get his/her attention and focus so the attack subsides. For someone with PTSD, I can see the value in this. I know people with it, have witnessed someone have an attack. It's tough to watch and if they can just focus on something else, something they trust, it can do wonders.

Also, a true service dog provides just that, a service, especially for anyone whose mobility has been compromised.

Semper K9

Over the years, researchers have found that dogs can be trained to sense things largely unnoticed by humans. Dogs have been trained to detect the presence of an impending seizure or a PTSD event and can be trained to act certain ways during those events. There are plenty of reasons why people need support animals but as mentioned, that privilege gets abused by those who dont truly need them and it gives a bad impression to those who do.

Yea Im in agreement with that statment 100%. The thread just sparked my curiosity. Im a huge animal lover and to me, when the day goes to Sh*t and I am just down and out...Seeing my animals just perks me right up and brightens my day.
That is pretty amazing that a dog can detect signs so early on.

I've watched stories about dogs being trained to sense when someone with PTSD is about to have an attack, and they are trained to react, diverting attention from whatever that person is focused on to the dog, by nudging the person, pawing, etc...anything to get his/her attention and focus so the attack subsides. For someone with PTSD, I can see the value in this. I know people with it, have witnessed someone have an attack. It's tough to watch and if they can just focus on something else, something they trust, it can do wonders.

Also, a true service dog provides just that, a service, especially for anyone whose mobility has been compromised.

Semper K9
Thank you guys, I always wondered about this and thank you for the link. That is also pretty special to pull shelter animals and train them. Everyone benefits! There is some good left in this world yet!

Yea Im in agreement with that statment 100%. The thread just sparked my curiosity. Im a huge animal lover and to me, when the day goes to Sh*t and I am just down and out...Seeing my animals just perks me right up and brightens my day.
That is pretty amazing that a dog can detect signs so early on.

Thank you guys, I always wondered about this and thank you for the link. That is also pretty special to pull shelter animals and train them. Everyone benefits! There is some good left in this world yet!

Yeah, bonus to give shelter dogs that second chance and make life better for someone truly in need. There are other groups out there doing good too...I saw that one months ago thanks to my son telling me about it.

Yeah, bonus to give shelter dogs that second chance and make life better for someone truly in need. There are other groups out there doing good too...I saw that one months ago thanks to my son telling me about it.
Seems to me like rescue dogs know they've been given a second chance...

I had an episode the other day where I woke up in cold sweat thinking I was still in combat. My dog jumped up and just nuzzled my head and cuddled up next to me. She’s also trained to bring me medication or warn off anyone close to me when I do have a breakout (although, its only ever happened once). That being said, I still don’t take her everywhere, and I go out a lot. I don’t think I even have PTSD, but the VA recommended that I train my dog in the events something happens. I was just super overworked that day (spending almost 36 hours at the shop with no sleep).

Try working in the airlines! You would not believe the poop people bring on board....litterally sometimes!

Troy

@Getn off - what's the craziest item you've seen someone try to bring on board? Almost afraid to ask, but I bet it's entertaining to say the least...

Back