Is this really necessary? Taking your DOG everywhere...

I think this is just an issue of people abusing the system. Some of my old military friends really DO need a service animal with them most of the time because of their stress levels, otherwise they can't react to certain situations calmly. That being said, those dogs exist and they're trained. People nowadays slap a service vest that they bought online for 75$ on any dog and walk anywhere. That's the real issue. My ESA is my GSD puppy that I had trained when I came back to the states, I do take her most places.. but I still have the decency to not bring them to grocery stores/hospitals/clinics as OP stated, allergies exists. The thread went awry when people started attacking real humans that do require service animals and clumped them with people that abuse the system.

Try working in the airlines! You would not believe the poop people bring on board....litterally sometimes!
It has really gotten out of hand for sure.
My airline, along with a few others, have cracked down on the emotional support animal phenomena. Beginning in Jan, to bring an emotional support animal on our planes you must 1) be diagnosed with a "certified mental disorder" (ie ptsd) from a clinical psychiatrist, 2) have a note from your vet that states the animal is healthy, up to date on all shots, and 3) owner must sign a form relieving the airline from any responsibility, and the owner is responsible.
This will stop 90% of the bullshit that is going on I think.
Troy

Don’t blame me, I just go anywhere I can these days...:laugh:
66A0E3F2-D4C8-4D8A-9FAF-16E225A64F75.jpeg

All my dogs have been emotional support animals. Every single one has been a source of emotional support to me. And I recognize that some, SOME, people truly need constant support. But it's outta hand.

True enough. All my dogs have been good for my disposition. My last pooch was a huge St. Bernard that lived only thirteen years. She was more than a friendly dog. She was a companion, fishing partner and one time, a protector. One night in an empty parking lot I was faced with a four to one situation (I was the one) and I was unarmed but Midget was with me and unseen by the four... at first. When she ambled up beside me from around my truck with her giant head above my waist I patted my shoulder which she knew was a signal for her to jump up and place her paws on my shoulders so she was just as tall as I am (6’1”) and I could look her straight in the eyes, the ‘four’ seemingly lost their spirit so to speak.:laugh: You shoulda seen em, it was a grand sight!:firing:

People take complete atvanage of the service dog situation in America. Its basically valuable to anyone with a dog that applies and has $80.00
Theres people who actually need a service dog and having some anxiety is pretty normal for most of us.
A proper service dog is as obedient as they get. They don't take control of the owner and be an sugar.

Abso-freakin-luteley! It is, I don’t know what you live through, and you have no idea what I’ve been through, but I won’t be getting a dog to cry to, or bother other people!

Abso-freakin-luteley! It is, I don’t know what you live through, and you have no idea what I’ve been through, but I won’t be getting a dog to cry to, or bother other people!

A dog to cry to? Uncalled for here and not accurate (and) not to the point.
This is a pretty good example of the point,

‘People take complete atvanage of the service dog situation in America. Its basically valuable (available I think he meant to say) to anyone with a dog (or pretty much any animal these days) that applies and has $80.00
Theres people who actually need a service dog and having some anxiety is pretty normal for most of us.’

That's good for you, but don't knock other people for how they deal with things. As you said, you don't know what they live through.

People don’t know how “to deal” with anything nowadays.....

That’s the problem!!! Especially here in America we have too much time and $$$ on our hands. If we were in a 3rd world country struggling to find food and constantly under the threat of violence on a daily basis we wouldn’t be sitting around creating all these disorders or identifying ourselves as binary creatures etc etc......

People don’t know how “to deal” with anything nowadays.....

That’s the problem!!! Especially here in America we have too much time and $$$ on our hands. If we were in a 3rd world country struggling to find food and constantly under the threat of violence on a daily basis we wouldn’t be sitting around creating all these disorders or identifying ourselves as binary creatures etc etc......
Heirarchy of needs. You're not wrong, it's a luxury.

Sorry to have affended, your a compassionate group. I’m a hard old man from a different age, and don’t belong with this group in this thread.

I think everyone posting on this is correct. Animals give every owner emotional suport, there is no doubt. But if you cannot board a plane, or go the the dr office without ur support animal, you have a much deeper issue. And I am saying that if that is the case, great, get a shrink to certify you and bring the animal. But for 99.9% of us, we can get by without an emotional support animal for most of a day. Just like gov assist here in the US, it is severely abused. For most that I see, it is a part of the "I'm the center of the Universe" problem that is getting rampart here.
Troy

I think this is just an issue of people abusing the system. Some of my old military friends really DO need a service animal with them most of the time because of their stress levels, otherwise they can't react to certain situations calmly. That being said, those dogs exist and they're trained. People nowadays slap a service vest that they bought online for 75$ on any dog and walk anywhere. That's the real issue. My ESA is my GSD puppy that I had trained when I came back to the states, I do take her most places.. but I still have the decency to not bring them to grocery stores/hospitals/clinics as OP stated, allergies exists. The thread went awry when people started attacking real humans that do require service animals and clumped them with people that abuse the system.

And that is an understandable reason to have service animals. It's a damn shame so many have now decided to take from those that truly require the ones that are well trained for this need vs. little Buddy in his festive elf sweater with one eye that's "my therapy pet"...

Those that should be the most upset are the ones that truly need these animals...

Back