Does your family approve or I am I being selfish to buy another Busa

TRALL

Registered
Hey there. I 've been without a motorcycle now for a few years. I sold my last Busa in 2010 and every year I am on the fence on buying again. I have a wife and three kids and some of my relatives thinks it is not responsible to buy another bike. My brother never rode and thinks its totally stupid if I do. My wife does not like them but is neutral if I bought another.

Every year I feel the need to get on the road again and just be riding sometimes. I feel, I am missing part of who I am. The few friends, I had who had bikes in the past have moved and if I do buy, I am all alone now. I rode alone a lot at times in the past which I found therapeutic and with a few friends for fun rides that are gone.

I am one thought from buying and one thought from not buying. I have a great deal on the table with a dealer and my loan is pre-approved with my bank and all I have do is say Yes and have the dealer send the purchase order to buy the bike but I am not sure what to do. Part of me says do it and part says don't. Also the dealer has it priced to sell and could any day.

Is it selfish to buy another bike if you have a wife and kids that count on you? Are my personal desires to ride again now and then stupid? I don't know. Your thoughts with my dilemma?

You're either a rider or you aren't. I have an 18 month old son, and I can't imagine my garage bike-less.

Go for it! Wear good gear: helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, etc.

If your wife doesn't have any objections, definitely go for it, the rest of the family's opinion shouldn't stop you from doing what you enjoy.

That's why they sell life insurance, isn't it?

I've always believed when it's your time, it's your time. Enjoy life while you can!

Just do it - like Bots said - either you ride or you dont. I do and I own 2 - one for racing and one for backup/street riding.

I'm a firm believer in doing things for everyone in your life AND yourself!! I didn't start riding until after I had my sons, and through my divorce years later, my ex-husband wanted me to sell my toys so badly, but I didn't...

We all deserve a bit of happiness and freedom, whatever that might mean...

You're asking the wrong group though; bunch of Busa owners are going to encourage you. Don't ask this on a Mommy forum :whistle: :rofl:

I am married and a father of 4 (two teenagers and two Pre-K); my wife does not ride nor does she have any desire to, and she worries greatly about my safety when I do. Before buying my current 'busa, I had not been on two wheels for more than a decade. When I approached my wife about wanting to buy a bike, we attacked it very pragmatically - we crunched the numbers and made the decision that after her car and some miscellaneous debts were paid off, we would revisit the idea.

A few months later, we found ourselves at the local dealer looking at a gently used 05. For a multitude of reasons, the purchase of that bike just did not make sense. I sat down with the salesman who ran the numbers and we found that I could buy a brand new bike for a price that I (and the wife) were comfortable with. When it was all said and done, it was my non-riding wife that convinced me to pull the trigger on it. Despite her reservations and concerns, my wife knew that this was something that would make me happy, and that left to my own devices, I would talk myself out of it, justifying that I could live without it because it would be selfish to spend such a large amount of money on myself.

What I am getting at, is that if this is something that you want, something that will truly make you happy, and you have the means to do so, then do it! My extended family had no opinion on my decision to buy a bike (aside from the obligatory safety concerns expressed by my wife and mother). The people that feel the need to admonish your decision, clearly do not understand the reasoning behind it; these are the people that live their lives in the shadows, forever afraid to step into the light and only seek to chide and berate those that do because they lack the courage that the others posses.

To argue that buying a bike is irresponsible because you have three children is a non-starter. I would counter that it is far more irresponsible to set an example for your children that it is acceptable to be so easily swayed by the opinions of others. I absolutely LOVE to ride; every time I do, I climb off my bike feeling refreshed and renewed, free of the worries of that moment. I can only hope that one day all of my children can experience what I do when I ride; I yearn for the days that I can get my kids on motorcycles and have the chance to strengthen our bonds over a common love. My two youngest boys are already constantly inquiring as to when they can get motorcycles of their own so that they can ride with me.

If had chosen not to buy a bike, to not get back on two wheels, I may have never again realized the love that I have for it; a love that I never appreciated as a young kid only interested in going fast and showing off. More importantly, I would not have found a platform that can build a lifetime of memories and experiences with my children.

I re read your post, you did not say why you sold the bike...

Tough question to answer but in life we do not choose our passion(s) and there are many other pursuits that could cause you to lose your family ( if you followed other passions) as well.

Commuting is different then pleasure riding,IMHO.

Good luck

BB

if your family and friends do not want you to be who you are.....are they family or friends? you live more in 10 minutes on a busa than a lifetime of "being careful"

I was riding before i was married (20+ yrs now), and have had the same thoguths of being responsible every so often.

Thing is, it's not an irresponsible thing to ride a motorcycle. Abusing a motorcycle and your skills could be considered irresponsible - riding beyond your means/ability.

You can mitigate many of the risks associated with the sport for sure.

The wife is onside with my riding and it helps that i'm a motorycle instructor too - so safety is somethign on the brain as a result.

She and i both agree, if i didn't ride before i met her, i probably wouldn't be riding now.

Don't listen to the hype/propaganda. it's non riders that always say how dangerous the sport is, but really, they only know bad stats from the news.

If you got a good head on your shoulders and a great attitude, you'll be good to go....

Ahh - I usually go with what the heart wants... I think only you can make the right decision, but it is legal to own a motorcycle and I don't think it's an indication that you are not responsible or morally corrupt. If you can afford it and it makes your life more complete I'd say be a motorcycle rider. People (family, friends and strangers) generally regard me as a conservative, sober, responsible adult, then they see my garage and only then do they think I might be a bit off, but I just smile and ride.

I guess you have to do what makes you happy.

And if you buy another bike I'm 35 miles from Peoria. My wife and I ride over there all the time. We would ride with you. :beerchug:

years ago, my wife stopped trying to convince me riding was TOO RISKY. so she bought three life insurance policies for me (yup, I am worth more dead than alive...literally). and I just got a third bike. P.S. I am still married with children :)

Most people regret what they didn't do - later in life.

Yes - you came to this forum which is bias, to get an opinion.
Probably no members on here would tell you not to buy a bike unless you couldn't afford it.

You titled this does your family approve..... My mother was 100% against motorcycles when I was growing up.
So I bought one and kept it at my sister's house. Mom has mellowed over the years and accepts that I ride.

There are no guarantees in life, so as long as you take precautions and wear the proper gear you should be OK.
Many people die in cars - but you never hear someone say they shouldn't have bought a car - right?

Your brother never rode - so who is he to tell you anything. He will never experience the thrill that only comes from riding, His loss.

It comes down to listen to your heart, and don't let anyone else (including us on this forum) make that decision for you.

Usually buying from a dealer is more expensive. Don't be pressured into buying one this minute as there are probably quite
a few bikes available at any given time and you might come across an even better deal a few weeks down the road.

Good luck and IF you get one (even if it wasn't a Busa) let us know. No shame if you decide to pass this time around.......

No one has mentioned this but I have one question - can you afford it? It is irresponsible to blow $ on toys if your family is wanting.

Otherwise go for it. Do you really need a forum to tell you this?

Decisions like that are always easy to make when you picture yourself a few years from now, and look at your current situation in retrospect.

Your deep desire and longing to ride is not about the bike, but as you correctly pointed out, it is about something deeper that your soul is missing. Your wife's opinion is the only opinion that really matters - everything else is noise. She seems to be OK with that.

I am in a very similar situation, and every ride is not only about balancing a bike on two wheels, but also about balancing the risks, and finding that razor sharp line which brings you deeper satisfaction while keeping you safe.

You have to give your wife a promise that you will always come back home safe, and stick with it. That doesn't mean you will ride like a grandma, but it means that you will be continuously assessing risks and adjust your riding accordingly. I guarantee the first time you get on the bike, you will know deep down that it was all worth it.

Let us know how it goes, and challenge those in your family who are against it - to come here, voice their concerns/questions in this thread, and get them answered.

you have responsibilities, make sure they are covered...get enough life insurance to replace your earning potential until your children are of age and go do what you want :beerchug:

Back