Buying a used Busa

tedbiele

Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!&quot
Donating Member
Registered
So, I am in the market to buy a Busa.
What do I look for in a used Busa? Problems? Wear? Things that break? Whatnot!
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
I am 34 and have ridden street bikes since I was 18. Now I am ready to get the best.
Should I just go to the dealer for a new one?
What do you think?

<!--EDIT|tedbiele
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091465472 -->

any help would be greatly appreciated.
i have the resources to purchase a brand new one too.

Really can't go wrong except the earlier models ('99-'00) had aluminum rear subframes that had problems (failures) and they also had weak starter gears that have been since recalled and fixed on newer models. Otherwise they are all good and about the same. Pick a color combination and see what is available. Otherwise just buy a new one. There are few notable differences between model years except colors and what I mentioned above. Good luck.

Of course buy a new one! They don't lose their value as fast as other bikes and autos, so pick the color scheme you like and go for it!

I say go for a used one, but be picky and just make sure you get one that is clsoe to stock. ti will ahve a higher chance of not being at the track every weekend. I jsut bought a 2001 with 9200 miles on it. Perfect condition with only some Yosh RS3 bolt on cans. I paid $6500 and it looks as good as a new one that cost $10000 on a good day. No warrantee, but I say if it was going to break it would ahve broke already.

2001 they made many design changes to fix all the mistakes of the first two years. From what I understand 2001 through 2004 are nearly identical, except that the 2001 has a little different computer, because they changed the way the top speed limiter is implemented, and they also use different power commanders.(please correct me BUSA GODS if I am wrong)

Here's my advice - Go buya used Busa $6500-$7500. Pash cash or creidt card, but NO NOTE. Now go get good liability and comprehensive insurance...(screw collision - for that price I could buy all the bodywork on the bike!)

FC

Oh yea...almost forgot!

Things to look for....look for scratches on the back fender...like it might have been dragged down the highway while on a sick wheelie
super.gif

Hastalabusa's right...get a nice used one and save yourself some serious cash....just make sure its a 2001 or later....and like he said just get comp and liability....the collisions 3/4's or more of your ins. premium. Unless you are afraid of crashing the bike yourself you won't need it....anybody hits you they fix it...

Buying a 2001 or later doesn't necessarily mean you are home free.

Here are all of the problems that I am aware of. I think this covers them all.

1999-2000 have aluminum subframes that break when overloaded w/ aftermarket exhaust. 2001+ have steel subframes

1999 has fuel filter clogging problems (just replace it more often normally works -- My old one did this.)

2001-2002 has starter assembly problems, there was even a suzuki service bulletin on it (not a recall) This I hear is around 500 when the starter/gear gets toasted
you can buy a better gear, and reinforced the starter case to fix this.
(Just make sure the engine is firing before you let off of the starter button to prevent kickback and you are normally fine here - also keep a strong battery, a weak one will allow starter kickback)

2003 they upgraded the starter assembly.

IMO the best years to buy are 2000, 2003, and 2004.

Sage said it best, pick a color scheme and go for it, they are all good bikes with very minor problems. Try to find a used one with some modifications done to it for even a better bargain.

Hope this helps,
-Bill

OH yeah forgot one.

The 1999s had a recall on the cam chain tensioner. They all should be fixed by suzuki and good to go now.

I appreciate any and all help you all have been able to advise me with.

Am really looking forward to buying one.

Fiance and I just bought a house in Houston Tx. She has given me the go. We went to a Multi-brand dealership in San Antonio where I am currently stationed and we looked at several bikes. GSXR's, ZX's, YZR's, VFR's, CBR's, TL-R's -everything they had. The dealer manager suggested the Busa to the two of us due to riding comfort, size, etc. etc. On the plus side we both sat on the Busa together and she likes the Busa too. Could not say that for some of the others. She said her ass felt a little sore just sitting there in the dealership on most. Funny.

I figured I could save some money buying used, but, fear buying something abused. Will have to check some bikes out there to see whats what. May lean towards new anyhow.

Was reading a Cycle Trader from Texas recently and saw a dealer up in Ft. Worth area that was selling new '04's for $9,500 and thought that was an amazing price for new. Would be worth the ride home to get that price.

There are always some great buys on used busas. Of course, there are the lemons too. I would search the various busa boards and buy from a member. A lot of history can be found out about a persons bike by looking at his posts. Also, I'm in North texas and would be willing to check out any bikes you might have your eye on.

busarider - i have to find the exact location of that dealership- i may just be coming north to purchase the red one.

No problem. Just PM me if you need some help. I'm no expert, but I've done my fair share of work on my bike and others. I'm also in the Army. Redleg at Ft. Sill. Red is a sweet color, but my favorite is the orange pumpkin with black frame. Nothing sweeter!!!

Back