Do I need wheel bearings??

Lunar Busa

Registered
My 1st gen has 14k on it and I feel a slight vibration in the front with some noise. The tires that are on the bike now has only 2k on them with plenty of tread life!! Avon Storms:laugh: The noise sounds like a constant his or a slight moan, and no that noise is not the brakes I made sure of that. I greatly appreciate your imput!!

mine went south after about 25k its an easy fix and not too spendy , i'd do it

Sounds like bearings to me. If it's bad enough that you can hear the noise while riding, definitely leave it parked until you can replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my front wheel bearings too.

Put the front up on a stand (or jack it off the ground), and rotate the wheel by hand. If it sounds like popcorn, ya got some issues.

Order some new ones - couple bucks - some from OEM supplier like BikeBandit.com. I'm traveling every 12 days at times during the tour season. Got mine, I then rushed over to a 4x4 shop near me, begged help, and he changed them out by hand for me on the spot. Popped the tire back on and left next morning.

The wheel bearing fell apart in little pieces when we took it out.

That is interesting, my front wheel would hiss and had front end vibration. Wonder if the bearings were installed wrong.

A must read when changing wheel bearings...not sure if this clearance issue would be the same for both GEN I and GEN II, maybe someone can chime in...

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/117125-front-wheel-bearing-question.html

busa front wheel bearing clearance.jpg

Sound like its your bearings. One way to check. Clean your front rotors. Examine the front rotor after riding for a length of time (when it's dry of course). If areas of the rotors surface have brown splash (like you road through a puddle of dirty water) marks originating from the axle carrier would be a good indicator you have a bearing problem. The brown splatter on the bearing would be bearing grease being force out by centrifugal force. The bearing need grease to spin smoothly

If you need help replacing, just holla.

The best way I know to check bearings is to remove the wheel and spin the inner race. I wedge two fingers in the inner race and turn the bearing back and forth. If it's silky smooth it's fine if it feels rough it's time for new bearings.

I check the bearings every time I remove the wheel. On the rear there are three bearings to check. Simple, quick and effective!

One more question on this wheel bearing topic.... What tools to I need to remove both wheels and to take out the wheel bearings out of both?? I am going to do them all at the same time.. And yes I am in need of some wheel bearings. Would the tools I get to take off the wheels would work for my second gen also?

One more question on this wheel bearing topic.... What tools to I need to remove both wheels and to take out the wheel bearings out of both?? I am going to do them all at the same time.. And yes I am in need of some wheel bearings. Would the tools I get to take off the wheels would work for my second gen also?

When I install a new chain this week, I'm thinking about changing my bearings as well. I'm thinking about making a home-made bearing puller, but would like insight on tools as well. I don't want to buy anything expensive at this juncture... Even if my bearings are still good, I'd rather change them out now when I have the wheels off. The wheel bearings have 23K miles on 'em anyway.

Back