Dino to Synthetic

EAKbusa

Registered
Can I switch from dino oil to full synthetic without installing a new filter also? I usually switch the filter with every other oil change and it is not due until next time but I want to change over to Amsoil synthetic now.

I guess I probably should but I wanted everyone's advice. I just hate to take the fairing off to get at the filter. Changing the oil only is so much easier.

I wouldn't mix the two mostly because they may not mix!!! Pop the fairing off, take your time. And while your in there you can give the motor a bit of detail work... and maybe install some LED's for effect...

Yeah Bullettrain I think is going to have a lot of folks popping fairings over the next few weeks to check for anything being loose...

Can I switch from dino oil to full synthetic without installing a new filter also? I usually switch the filter with every other oil change and it is not due until next time but I want to change over to Amsoil synthetic now.

I guess I probably should but I wanted everyone's advice. I just hate to take the fairing off to get at the filter. Changing the oil only is so much easier.
EAK....no worries on leavin the oil filter if ya want , I mean seriously...you drain the oil and take off the filter , did you get all the oil out...NO . Maybe 95% . Dont sweat it . There's oil trapped in lines,valleys,sump,head,cam lobe puddles,yadda yadda yadda....

O ya....the filter, I just un-do the bottom few bolts , I never take the fairing off completely to get that filter out.

Have a good 1.....RSD.

Well Yeah, but filters tend to really hold a substantial amount of oil right? I am assuming that the oil is ready to be changed so it's prolly a bit dirty anyway. I was just thinking that starting "Fresh" I guess would be the way to go.

RSD, I remember you mentioning that you are pretty hard core when it comes to oil changes. About every month or so right? Any recomendations for oil type and weight? I was thinking Amsoil is how I will go for a full synthetic, any thoughts?

Mobil 1 15w 50, this is what I just switched to and it seems to work pretty good. Before I had a little ticking sound in the upper end and now its gone and it shifts and runs awesome!! Starts up and purrz like a kitten.....

Just my experience though... :cool:

Mobil 1 15w 50, this is what I just switched to and it seems to work pretty good.  Before I had a little ticking sound in the upper end and now its gone and it shifts and runs awesome!! Starts up and purrz like a kitten.....

Just my experience though...  :cool:
not meanin' to dis you Quazy Moto....hee hee hee, sorry , but I would personally not be pleased that any type,brand,weight of oil cured my ENGINE NOISES .

Rev, I have access to brands here, that you may not have there....an' visa-versa .

bottom line , for me anyway, oil breaks down so quickly,an' gets dirty almost instantly,that frequent changes are more important that type . Synth is gr8,especially if its allowing yer clutch to grab fully. It still needs changing thou.If you can afford to dump yer synth on a regular basis I say "Go-4-It" . I use an oil that costs me 12 dollars a quart. Big dough doesn't mean BIG GO . I just hope it means LONGEVITY .
Strayin too far from what the maker uses [10/40] I dunno.
Certainly in yer hot weather extreme, something thicker cant hurt .

Don't even get me started on filters....

They're WORTHLESS....for the most part .

Have a good 1 Rev.... RSD.

I had the Suzuki Oil like manual said, and after reading up on the issue I found out that it was prob the hot weather and or my low viscosity manual suggested oil that caused the pingn' sound.  Well in my case I was correct and the 15w 50 works wonders just like what others have said.. And alot of people actually use this Year around, not just in middle of summer when its hot, and I can see why because I like the difference so far.  Also those of you who havnt read this thread yet, and you would like to learn a few things about Motor Oils for your Hayabusa, then go here and read this::
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi....=000054
:crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

I think I will go with Amsoil 10w40. Seems to be a quality oil based upon tests in a magazine that I read (can't remember which, maybe Sport Rider?) plus it is available at my local shop, albeit 3 times as costly as Honda HP4 standard dino. It also specifically is lacking in the ingredient that seems to be the culprit in clutch slippage so I won't have to worry about that (molybdenum I think it is?).

Oh and I change my oil more often than necessary. The oil that is in my bike now is only 1.5 months old with only 1100 miles since last change. It is still pretty clean. I just figured that I won't ride THAT much more this year and will change it again in the spring along with the filter. So I thought I could switch it to Amsoil now to see how I like it, then do the "proper" change in the spring with a new filter. My gut feeling is that it can't hurt seeing as my current oil is in pretty good chape. I dunno, maybe I'll just change the filter too. Not sure.

Never thought about trying to wrestle the filter out with only some of the fairing bolts taken out. Not sure how I can tighten it properly though without having full access to it from the side.

Back