diet/ get in shape

I'm going to try to get our crossbow( kinda like a cheaper version of a bowflex) back from her brother after she leaves. we gave it to him a few years back to make more room in the house. is the book,"a body for life" a common one at the bookstore? thanks

Yeah the "body for life"￾ is pretty common and their support is great. It is one of those things you can do as a family really easy recipes and good for the whole family minus the protein shakes and stuff which you really don't need but are not bad to have. It is a good way to get your wife involved if you think she needs to drop a few also. In you situation though a few bars might be up your alley since they are quick and easy to break out and eat.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

As far as a workout ask your body what it can handle. If you can get a 30 min jog in everyday do it. If you can only walk 30 min do that too. I am with Projekt on this one as far as the whole body resistance training will skyrocket your metabolism. Those huge freak shows that body build none of them do cardio because muscle speeds up your metabolism. I think you will be surprised if you started that up with your size you might even gain a few lbs on the scale and lose a couple around the waist. If you can start to add resistance training that will help a bunch I have added it and went big weights too and it is working. Listen to your body it will tell you everyday not to hit the gym you're a little sore but if your hurting take a day off. I pushed myself too hard last year resulting in some serious back pain and resulted in being the worst shape of my life instead of the best.

Projekt I am coming for you your not getting the .Org beefcake centerfold that easy.
poke.gif
I will show you my two month pics are due the last day of the month. Did not fully achieve six pack status due to taking your advice of lifting more and heavier but did gain a little size in the upper body. May have to post because I think sending you pics of me without a shirt somehow constitutes a slight bit of gayness. I will check the man book for sure but I think it is somewhere in the first chapter.
laugh.gif

Dude just post up a Beefcake II thread. Everyone here will look at it, not just horny ol' BUSAJULES or equally Horny VABUSA..

I slacked off for the past few weeks due to illness but am back at it again so once I get past this bloat I'll try to post an update...

I'm going to try to get our crossbow( kinda like a cheaper version of a bowflex) back from  her brother after she leaves. we gave it to him a few years back to make more room in the house. is the book,"a body for life" a common one at the bookstore?  thanks
That will help but mostly due to variety. If you don't feel like doing a ton of Push-ups one day, hit the crossbow with as much intensity as you can give.

Like I said above, push-ups done with lots of different grip widths will blast your entire upper body.
You will feel your back muscles such as the lats come into the motion when you take a narrower grip.
The you go wide and it blasts your outer pecs and front delts.
Variations will get you what you want once you get a feel for it again.

Dude just post up a Beefcake II thread. Everyone here will look at it, not just horny ol' BUSAJULES or equally Horny VABUSA..

I slacked off for the past few weeks due to illness but am back at it again so once I get past this bloat I'll try to post an update...
HEY HEY HEY!!! I HEard that!!! And I second the motion.. bring on the Busa Beefcake Part Deaux..

BTW... I am taking orders for the The 2008 Busa Beefcake Calendar...
laugh.gif

6-10 lbs? Thats it? Holy crap thats easy man. Cut out all Soda, on average 12 pounds can be shed in acouple weeks by just removing pop from your diet. Past that maybe beer if you are a heavy drinker. Believe it or not, a few beers here and there is actually healthy for you.

Past that if you want to firm up I'd do cardio workouts. But for merely 10 pounds? Just change what you eat.

Edit:
Just read the other posts, dang me and my quick posting. Breakfast is the most important meal for you if you are trying to lose weight. If you don't eat anything within 20 minutes of waking up your body goes into starvation mode and will store anything you eat. My breakfast is a serving of oatmeal (not instant), a spoonfull of cinnamon, and two egg whites. The cinnamon will actually fool your body into thinking it's full, plus it makes the oatmeal taste better. Throw in some fruit and you have a solid healthy breakfast. Hope ya the best of luck on your weight loss. I'm trying to get it off myself and have to say that just changing my diet trimmed 20 lbs off my gut. So far I've got 45 lbs off and have another 50 to go.

Okay here's my  
2cents.gif

Get a bicycle, and ride it.  No, that's not all.  Start with 20 minutes, a day or every other, of just riding around for about a week.  Eat bananas as a supplemental source of snack food.  Second week, add on another 20 minutes a ride for a total of 40 minutes total ride time.  Keep it at 40 minutes for a couple weeks adding on 20 here and there.  This all depends on how much you like to ride, of course.  I've never been a runner, and joint stress is minimal on a bicycle.  Your crotch will feel a little achy for about a week, until the fatty tissue and muscle accomodate the load.  It also depends on the saddle, but any bike will do.    

As far as nutrition, I am stressing that a lot of what has been shared is good information, BUT, do not try and ask your body to accomodate a major nutritional adjustment early on.  Just concentrate on riding regularly.  Some folks say 4 days, some say 5, I actually ride a minimum of 20 to 30 miles daily ( a minumum of 6 days a week ).  Then again, I stress, I've built up the endurance over the past five years.  I checked with my doctor, and he said for the benefits of my cardio / cholesterol / emotional (general well being) that riding everyday isn't bad for you.  If you feel tired on a day, take the day off.  Just don't quit indefinitely.

You have to ask yourself, do yo wanna get fit, or just lose a few pounds ?.  I got fit, and lost a lot of weight just by riding a few miles daily.  Then I started upping the ante here and there.  Adjusted my nutritional intake (no red meat, fish and poultry, fruits and veggies, less soda, more water etc....).  It was easier than I originally thought it could be.  Currently I'm 42, 6'2", 200 lbs (all the time), chest 42", waist 34". I eat and drink as much as I like, although my portions have dropped a bit, and I eat what agrees with me.  I haven't touched a fastfood burger in eight years.  I also cut out fried foods.  Too much grease for the body to process.  

The older we get, the more important it is to take care of the ol' body.  I'm not talking Jack Lalaine here, but a little goes a long way.  

"IMPORTANT"......The one thing I'll warn you about, as it has been offered.  DO NOT start ingesting huge amounts of WATER.  
cursin.gif
 "DO NOT".  
cursin.gif
  Your body currently isn't ready to process that much water, it'll deplete your salt and beat up your kidneys.  I do recommend, you start drinking "more" as needed.  I drink distilled "all" the time.  It's the purest hydration known to man, and on a cellular level it's exactly the same as what your body filters and feeds the cells.  I also recommend nutritional supplements but start with a decent multi-vitamin.

I won't tell you how to do it.  Everybody has a formula.  Make up your own as you go.  What works for me, doesn't work for everybody, just me.  From where I started I've come a long way, and I feel awesome for an old man of 42..... Sounds stupid, but really, try the bike.  Let your body lead for a change.
super.gif

cursin.gif

Diets never work. period! You just need to change the thought process. reprogram your eating habits and what you eat. Come spring, I will have to do just this myself to shed 10-12 lbs to fit in my 1 pc. suit for my upcoming track days. It will be a piece of cake!
beerchug.gif

Okay here's my  
2cents.gif

Get a bicycle, and ride it.  No, that's not all.  Start with 20 minutes, a day or every other, of just riding around for about a week.  Eat bananas as a supplemental source of snack food.  Second week, add on another 20 minutes a ride for a total of 40 minutes total ride time.  Keep it at 40 minutes for a couple weeks adding on 20 here and there.  This all depends on how much you like to ride, of course.  I've never been a runner, and joint stress is minimal on a bicycle.  Your crotch will feel a little achy for about a week, until the fatty tissue and muscle accomodate the load.  It also depends on the saddle, but any bike will do.    

As far as nutrition, I am stressing that a lot of what has been shared is good information, BUT, do not try and ask your body to accomodate a major nutritional adjustment early on.  Just concentrate on riding regularly.  Some folks say 4 days, some say 5, I actually ride a minimum of 20 to 30 miles daily ( a minumum of 6 days a week ).  Then again, I stress, I've built up the endurance over the past five years.  I checked with my doctor, and he said for the benefits of my cardio / cholesterol / emotional (general well being) that riding everyday isn't bad for you.  If you feel tired on a day, take the day off.  Just don't quit indefinitely.

You have to ask yourself, do yo wanna get fit, or just lose a few pounds ?.  I got fit, and lost a lot of weight just by riding a few miles daily.  Then I started upping the ante here and there.  Adjusted my nutritional intake (no red meat, fish and poultry, fruits and veggies, less soda, more water etc....).  It was easier than I originally thought it could be.  Currently I'm 42, 6'2", 200 lbs (all the time), chest 42", waist 34". I eat and drink as much as I like, although my portions have dropped a bit, and I eat what agrees with me.  I haven't touched a fastfood burger in eight years.  I also cut out fried foods.  Too much grease for the body to process.  

The older we get, the more important it is to take care of the ol' body.  I'm not talking Jack Lalaine here, but a little goes a long way.  

"IMPORTANT"......The one thing I'll warn you about, as it has been offered.  DO NOT start ingesting huge amounts of WATER.  
cursin.gif
 "DO NOT".  
cursin.gif
  Your body currently isn't ready to process that much water, it'll deplete your salt and beat up your kidneys.  I do recommend, you start drinking "more" as needed.  I drink distilled "all" the time.  It's the purest hydration known to man, and on a cellular level it's exactly the same as what your body filters and feeds the cells.  I also recommend nutritional supplements but start with a decent multi-vitamin.

I won't tell you how to do it.  Everybody has a formula.  Make up your own as you go.  What works for me, doesn't work for everybody, just me.  From where I started I've come a long way, and I feel awesome for an old man of 42..... Sounds stupid, but really, try the bike.  Let your body lead for a change.
super.gif
thumb_up.gif

In a sense what Spudley offers is simply consistent physical activity.

I concur with the water advice. There is no nutritional fact, basis or guideline that says to ingest extra volumes of water for weightloss. It merely is a wive's tale.

Drink to remain hydrated, as drinking too much can be detrimental. In the extreme can and will kill you. Hyperhydration has been known to kill and has made the news recently due to the lady who died after a "hold your pee" contest put on by a radio station.
Consume only what your body asks judging from the color of your urine. Too dark means not enough water. Too clear and all your doing is overworking/flushing your kidneys and possibly aggravating kidney stones. Not to mention wasting a bunch of time running back and forth to the toilet.

Find your direction after evaluating all of this advice. Put it into practice and do what your body responds to the most. Overall though, you will be leaps and bounds ahead of the average American simply by walking a longer distance than that between your car and your front door. Cut out the overeating/excess/junk and you're on the way to brighter days.

cursin.gif

Here is a small article on water for loosing weight. I know for a fact that it helps. Of course you can prolly find (on the internet) plenty of articles saying it doesn't help.

Clicky

Lots of good advise on here , I'm impressed!. As far as exercise goes trust me on this one, get a powerwheel by lifeline.. Its made by Bobby Hinds. I had my Martial Arts students use it.. I have spent years at the gym and in class and the Power wheel is absolutely the very Best piece of equipment I have ever seen. Nothing works the center core like it does.... The best $75. buck I ever spent On equipment!! Tell'em I sent you , he might give a group buy.. ? Later & good luck!

i lost 20 lbs by:

a) eating fruits for breakfast, and some orange juice.

b) drinking water.

c) lunch was protien, like lean chicken, tuna, lean burgers, and a small amount of carbs, water.

d) afternoon snack was water.

e) dinner was shrimp salad, chicken salad, veggies, no complex carbs.

f) late night snack was another salad.

g) exercised twice a week.

i found by eliminating soda, junk food, eating smaller portions, drinking lots of water, and working out i lost the weight rather quickly.

* remember everyones body is different so you might have to fine tune your diet according to how your body burns food for fuel. also food IS fuel and not what the corporations want you to think, that it's "fun", should be "biggie sized" and so on.

Man there is lots of good advice in this thread. I guess I can post up my .02 also lol.
What I did, may or may not help you, to lose my weight. I was approx 420+lbs, I know currently weigh 268lbs. I am 6'6 almost 6'7. I changed portion size. I never did diets, didn't like them couldn't stick with them plus they are only a temporary fix to a life long problem. I guess until I got under 400lbs I didn't do any exercising. When I hit the 390+ I started walking everyday. When I hit 380 I bought a mtn bike. When I hit under 300 I started hitting my weights again. I'm now sitting at 268-270 and looking to get a heavy bag.

I like to eat. Always have and that is my problem. Calories in > Calories burned == growing bigger. Now when I go out to dinner, I at the beginning will take the meal and cut it in half. Take the other half home. I found with me, I will eat whatever is on my plate. 10-15lbs would be cake to lose!

Good luck to you! Think of it as a lifestyle change and make it stick, not as a diet to get off once you've accomplished your goals!

Dave, last pic I saw of you, you looked pretty dang good! Not in a GAY way either, so save it peeps! LOL

p.s. i extended my eating times from 4 hours to 5. my body was used to a meal every 4 hours, when i switched to 5 hours my belly would start making hunger pangs on the 4th hour but did'nt get food so my body began "burning" "fat" for fuel.

BTW, I'm gunna buy one of those power wheels. I need to be in real good shape for this springs track days....
beerchug.gif

ayyy yoo ayyy
laugh.gif

yo thanks B'

but mannn this holiday i put on a few, about 5. i'll lose 'em in about a week or two. it was all high carbs, pizza [cheese], pasta, holiday cookies, allll crap.

p.s. i also cut out dairy, even the 1% milk has too much fat for "my" body, i cut out cheese for sure. not sayin' you cant have this stuff just watch your intake.

Well I can attest it is all good advice. The best advice is stick with it. It sucks at first and it is so much easier being fat. I know I got there and loved doing it. Come home hang out with the fam eat everything in site no leftovers ever. Then when they head to bed sit back and slam a few beers surfin the org and playing video games. I was in the bathroom one day right before I left and I stepped on the scale and it said 293. My wife looked at me and said that is disgusting.
puke.gif

I had enough and decided when I got away I would come back hard core like I was when she met me. I was never huge muscle wise but always slim and in shape. I by no way have superior genetics I have always played allot of sports. When me and my wife met I was on three basketball leagues I would play every night of the week and some nights twice a night. I wanted to get back to that kind of shape. I have been working on it ever since. I got here and could not keep up with the other guys running but I went everyday on my own. I was eating smaller portions but not frequent enough. I was on a ship for a while of it where you have no choice in food but I just kept working hard cut out the soda and beer ( I love beer)
all_coholic.gif
My runs improved I fell back in love with weight lifting
muscle.gif
I listened to the guys on the org here in the beefcake thread and Projekt gave me some encouragement. I took my pics and have been reading everything on Bodybuilding.com. I have made that lifestyle change and hate missing a day in the gym even when I am tired and know I need a day off. I feel bad for eating **** food. I actually enjoy running a little bit (nah can't lie to you I hate it) but I use it I punished myself today in fact for eating like crap for the past three days I ran 8 miles or at least that is what it was advertised felt like 6. So today was progress pic time I have made some progress and did not realize it till I stepped on the scale. I was down to 263
SHOCKED.gif
That is 1 month of just diet and two months of exercise and watching food intake. You will have no problem I am sure you will accomplish your goal here and more. You have a support group here and there are plenty of opinions and from what I have read they all seem good. Like it was said earlier you will find what is god for you. Take the advice tweak it to your body and your time/goal/ ability and you can accomplish anything. One good thing about the .org there is allot of love and support here.

PM me anytime you need some advice or motivation.

thank you all, old habits / routines are going to be hard to break. I have a high respect for those who lost a bunch/ got fit. yesterday I figured I'd start with a little quick exercising (pushups / situps)during commercial breaks since they're about 2 minutes long, 8-10 minutes in between. good golly! it sounded like someone popping bubble wrap as I stretched. needless to say, I got a long way to go to just get fit. how do y'all stay motivated? my mind seems to work against me, ie looks to get sidetracked. it's hard to get to want to eat breakfast again,( which it makes sense to eat good in the am and a light dinner in the evening) to stop the starve & store routine that I'm used to. once again, thanks and happy new year!
beerchug.gif

Results is the main thing that will keep you motivated. That's why it is so hard to get going. You dont see results right away.
Believe me, you are not along. I got a lot of work ahead of me for this coming track season, and although I have not started yet, when I do, it will be for real.
beerchug.gif

Back