Starting A Keto Diet

SSGT_B

Registered
So today Im starting this diet for the second time. I did it once 3 years ago and lost 40 lbs. Its hard to get back into it that's for certain. I have a bunch of health issues like I'm sure many people have. Pre-diabetic, bad coloresterol through the roof and a few more issues. Still fighting with DRs to get an MRI to get the needle that they broke in my arm 8 months ago taken out as well as we think I had a minor heart attack the other day. So with all that said, does anyone that has done this have any good food recommendations? I know I need to get away from the sodas and all sugars and carbs. Exercise would help but that will have to be in the form of walking. My left arm is useless and I get winded pretty quick now. Currently I am 217lbs, 5ft 8 and 49 yo. My goal weight is 190. I can never seem to break the 200s.

Damn ssgt, what the hell are your bones made of that caused the doctors to break a needle in there.
What is a Keto diet? KeTo Losing Weight?

Honestly, the wife and I found a keto insta-pot cookbook. Its a life saver in a pinch and we can cook dinner in around an hour depending on the meal.
I keep the little 100 cal packs of lunch meat around for snacks (Budig). Pork Rinds are nice for some crunch if u are a snacker.
I keep ground beef in the fridge. In a pinch I can make a burger for a meal in short time.

Damn ssgt, what the hell are your bones made of that caused the doctors to break a needle in there.
What is a Keto diet? KeTo Losing Weight?

Keto is low-carb diet. Staying under 30 net carbs a day. Some people stay under 20 net carbs a day.
Ideally, you are forcing your body to burn fat as fuel instead of carbs, by limiting your carb intake.

It works if you can stick to it. Getting into Ketosis is the hard part, and having a cheat meal is tough cause it can knock you out. I love keto because I can eat and not starve and still lose weight. Lost a good 25 lbs my first time on keto. Then I slacked....now back at it

@sixpack577 was talking about this diet last week. He's got some insight.

Yeah, my apollogies, I have had a very busy weekend and week, and haven't been on here from my laptop, just my phone.

For me, it's 50 carbs or less a day.
90-100 grams of protien.
20-30% of my calories from fat, using butter and coconut oil to get there if needed.
I eat 2 or 3 meals daily, but the same amount of food. Around 2k-2300 calories daily.
18 hr fasting 3-4 days per week, eating 2 meals those days. Light work outs 3-4 days a week. The day after a workout I usually eat 3 times instead of twice. On days I eat twice, I just combine my breakfast with my lunch.
I have lost the majority of the small amount of body fat I had when I started, 4 1/2 weeks ago, but I did not start keto to lose fat.
Ketosis is changing your body to burn fat as it's primary fuel, instead of sugar.
Sugar tastes great, obviously, but the amount of it most of us eat does way more harm than good.
You Can suprisingly build and retain muscle during ketosis too, and I have. I am suprised to be noticeably stronger also.
My daily meals consist of bacon, eggs, sausage, chicken, ground beef, brocolli, coliflour, green beans, mushrooms, spinach, butter, coconut oil, cheese, cheese sticks, and pork rinds. Made in many different ways, grilled, baked, cassaroles, etc.
My cheat day was clean carb loading after 3 weeks, and I ate a sweet potato, roughly 3-4 times daily keto carb intake.
Your body needs more healthy carbs every few weeks, to replenish glycogen stored in the muscles.
It can also take days or weeks to get into ketosis, depending upon the individual and their metabolism.
You can also get the keto "flu", (I didn't, but know someone who did), as your body's immune system may not like the initial change, but it will pass.
Your body must essentially tear down and rebuild itself at a celluar level, and that happens at the same time.
Celluar "machines" are sugar burners, which are destroyed and replaced with fat burners.
Again, this is not intended to be a fat loss "diet", but is a great side effect of having your body operate efficiently and more healthy in a ketosis state.
A lemon daily is recommended to prevent kidney stones as well.
Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar, 2-3 times daily, at 1-2 tablespoons per serving also has many benefits.
I would recommend listening to Dr.Berg, and Thomas Delauer on Youtube. I will post more info and links later.
My advice is to start this with the right mindset, as it can be challenging. But, once you're in ketosis, you can cheat and eat junk, and then go back to the keto diet, your body will readapt quickly.
So it's not a life sentence without sugar.

Also, Mr.Brown, and Viper, I spoke with you guys by pm, and have yet to get back to you.
As said, things have been hectic lately.
My sincere apollogies, as I always keep my word, though sometimes as you see, I fall behind.
I'm glad this thread was started, and I hope that we can continue it, and that alot of folks can benefit from it.
And, fyi, this info is My personal experience.
I am not a Dr., nurse, or at all in the health care field.
I am 41, 5'10", and 164 lbs, down from 173 lbs(water weight and a couple lbs of fat).
I am hypoglycemic, have some health issues, but have always worked out and been in good physical condition.
I have been amazed at just how well the keto diet has helped me to feel.
I have had No hypoglycemic issues since starting keto nearly 5 weeks ago, and Dr.Berg claims keto is it's cure...and I belive him.
I have much to learn about ketosis, but am happy to share my experience with it so far.

Last edited:
So far today Im at 1100 calories. That was only from eggs scrambled in butter, cheese, a pickle spear and coffee with creamer. I need to remove the creamer and just use heavy cream. so this breaks down to 13g carbs, 36g fat and 24g protein. so from what I have in my house I can still have 2 brats and 4 slices of bacon for the day. I am also starting at a 1500cal a day. Might adjust some upward if this is not enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for that excellent info sharing Sixpack!!
Really explained it well, and from an angle that filled in a few gaps for me too.
I am 60, 5' 11", was 230lbs 6 months ago and diagnosed as type 2 diabetic.
The Doc told me I can reverse it with diet change (Keto) and quitting ALL alcohol.
I was drinking 5 dozen heinekins a week!
My health was in a bad way, I had to make changes coz I was at a tipping point and was only going to develop worse diseases if I did not make immediate changes.
I quit alcohol overnite (cold turkey) and ate only chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beans, lots of fruit, berries, acidophilous yoghurt, eggs, cheese, bacon, mixed nuts etc. NO potatoes, NO refined flour, NO sugar, nothing out of a packet.
The weight dropped away at the rate of 3lbs a week. All fluid retention gone first, and fat burning off at a good rate.
I had a couple of problems with a severe pain behind my right eye occuring daily for 3 months but that is a sinus issue caused by a bad tooth (molar) in my upper RH jaw.
As the body changes to adapt to burning fats instead of carbs and sugar problems pop up it seems, just as Sixpack said.
I am now 185lbs and feel so much better for it.
I still get regularly tested for blood glucose, cholesteral, kidney and liver function but I'm doin' well.
Had my eyes checked at the hospital, that's how they gauge how much damage has been done by the diabetes, and my eyes are good, so they caught the diabetes at the early stage, thank God for that!

Last edited:
So far today Im at 1100 calories. That was only from eggs scrambled in butter, cheese, a pickle spear and coffee with creamer. I need to remove the creamer and just use heavy cream. so this breaks down to 13g carbs, 36g fat and 24g protein. so from what I have in my house I can still have 2 brats and 4 slices of bacon for the day. I am also starting at a 1500cal a day. Might adjust some upward if this is not enough.

The small amount of sugar in the creamer will keep you out of ketosis.
The sugar has got to go.
Small amounts from good carbs, and naturally occuring are ok and unavoidable.
But most fruits can't be eaten because of this, eat those on a cheat day.

Thanks for that excellent info sharing Sixpack!!
Really explained it well, and from an angle that filled in a few gaps for me too.
I am 60, 5' 11", was 230lbs 6 months ago and diagnosed as type 2 diabetic.
The Doc told me I can reverse it with diet change (Keto) and quitting ALL alcohol.
I was drinking 5 dozen heinekins a week!
My health was in a bad way, I had to make changes coz I was at a tipping point and was only going to develop worse diseases if I did not make immediate changes.
I quit alcohol overnite (cold turkey) and ate only chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beans, lots of fruit, berries, acidophilous yoghurt, eggs, cheese, bacon, mixed nuts etc. NO potatoes, NO refined flour, NO sugar, nothing out of a packet.
The weight dropped away at the rate of 3lbs a week. All fluid retention gone first, and fat burning off at a good rate.
I had a couple of problems with a severe pain behind my right eye occuring daily for 3 months but that is a sinus issue caused by a bad tooth (molar) in my upper RH jaw.
As the body changes to adapt to burning fats instead of carbs and sugar problems pop up it seems, just as Sixpack said.
I am now 185lbs and feel so much better for it.
I still get regularly tested for blood glucose, cholesteral, kidney and liver function but I'm doin' well.
Had my eyes checked at the hospital, that's how they gauge how much damage has been done by the diabetes, and my eyes are good, so they caught the diabetes at the early stage, thank God for that!

That's great to hear Kiwi.
Be careful with the fruits, as berries are the only ones that you can eat small amounts of.
But the natural sugars in most all fruits will keep you out of ketosis, if that is your goal.
However, there's alot of what works best for the individual. And it sounds like you're doing great.
Much respect for the will power too, as it's the hardest part of this, and anything else really.

Thats what I figured of course AFTER I had my usual coffee. Will pick up heavy cream tonight and find some other snack and stuff I can eat as well. I used the my fitness pal app to log food as it has a barcode scanner in it so I scanned everything in my house. My kids will eat just fine for a while.....lol. Nothing I have here really works for me

Here is perfect! I understand RL can get very hectic! I appreciate yiou taking the time to educate us with your exp!

Yes sir.
I know very little about it, but it's a start.
I am gradually making small changes to see what does and doesn't work well, at least for me.
I do have a fast metabolism too, so I make a good guinea pig.

My best advice to everyone here...take before pictures of yourself!!!

I have no social media, and could care less about selfies.
However, my body changed so rapidly, I wish I had taken some pictures.

Thats what I figured of course AFTER I had my usual coffee. Will pick up heavy cream tonight and find some other snack and stuff I can eat as well. I used the my fitness pal app to log food as it has a barcode scanner in it so I scanned everything in my house. My kids will eat just fine for a while.....lol. Nothing I have here really works for me

Heavy cream still has some sugar, and is milk based, you'll have to eventually get away from it as well.

Back