Starting A Keto Diet

The mindset must become;
Food is fuel, not a pleasure.
Myself and most of us enjoy beer, pizza, chocolate, sugar, carbs, etc.
Change those to your cheat days.
Set a goal of 2-3 weeks strict keto.
Then add a healthy carb loading cheat day.
Strict keto another week or so, then a "binge" day if you feel the need.
You may be suprised when your unhealthy cheat day arrives, and your cravings have gone. The cravings really die down or completely leave in a couple weeks, but can pop up occasionally.
My goal is still keto until Christmas day, then a Thanksgiving type meal at my Mom and Dad's house. Keto again for a few days, then Pizza Hut for New Years Eve, lol!
I did clean carb loading on Thanksgiving day, and started keto on November 3rd.
So far, it's been suprisingly great!

Last edited:

I don't have time to watch that now; but, so far, everything negative about ketosis that I have read, has been from a "study", which has been funded by...big pharmacutical companies.
The same ones that lose money when people are healthy.
I do not recommend staying in ketosis indefinately.
Hence carb loading days, cheat days, lemons for your kidneys, and on and on.
As said, check out Dr.Berg, a real doctor.
And, Thomas Delauer...see if he looks unhealthy.:beerchug:

Its sort of like the Adkins diet. Except it eliminates almost all sugars. Higher fat, high protein, no carbs. I went on this diet before my trip to S. America. Lost 15 lbs in about a month. Its not a hard diet to do, you certainly don't starve but you do miss things. Like bread, rice, potatoes, fruit and Ice Cream. Man the first piece of bread I ate on vacation was like crack. Felt GREAT and you wanted more in 5 minutes.

But once you get used to what you can't eat, you find you can eat a LOT. And the part that is hard to adjust to is all the fat they want you to have. Seems kinda counter intuitive to be taking in adding fats on a diet.

Its the only diet my g/f ( an M.D.) will support. There seems to be accepted science and medical backing to how it works.

We are gonna finish out the holidays off diet , then get back on after the New Year.

I love making the fat bombs! Taste pretty good and they want you to have them as part of the diet. I have a favorite peanut butter chocolate one that people actually want me to make they taste that good. You don't know they are not sweet. As in they are not sweet from sugar. You use sugar substitutes.

I also had a VERY noticeable difference in energy and lack of joint pain after exertion, and face puffiness that diminished. You shed a lot of liquid retention. I have some hip pains from my younger days in the military after affects. 2 weeks on the Keto diet and they subsided. By the time my vacay ended (off the diet while on vacation), my hip pain had returned with a vengeance.

I want to get down to around 220ish. That's thin for 6'6". I'm 250 now. The last time I did that I had to starve for months to get there. It wasn't fun but I felt great at that weight. The Keto diet, your body isn't starving for calories. So you don't want to eat a whole lot. Its easier to lose weight because your body isn't trying to convert every calorie it gets to storage. It gets calories, they just aren't carb calories. So you can get the weight off without wanting to eat furniture in the end.

I am actually starting to support notions that have been published lately that sugar, as in cane processed sugar, is pretty bad stuff. Our body seems to be going though some effort to rid itself of it when we take it in. And sugar is added to about everything we buy that's processed.

A word of warning. The alternative options are a bit pricey. Natural almond butter or non wheat flours, or sugar substitutes cost a bit to get, but last awhile once you have them.

Oh and I have gotten hooked on Shirataki. Made from the Konjac Yam. They have managed to figure out how to make that seem like rice and pasta pretty darn well. It taste and feels like it. Totally plant based.
Smells like raw sewage when you crack open the bag but that goes away quick when you prep it.

Keto is amazing, but should be used to reset your metabolic chain rate so you can follow a healthier diet once you get the initial weight off. Over a long extended period of time (years), you will develope fatty tissues that could cause arterial clogging, spiked dramatically by your cheat days/carb cycling since the carbs that are introduced will more than likely stir inflammations due to your body not being used by it.

It’s good for 3-6 weeks of cutting extremely, or 5-6 months of moderate exercises. I wouldn’t recommend intervals of any more, and hopefully by then, you’ve trained your body well enough to control your hunger and have enough knowledge to set your own macros.

Good luck with your journey and remember that this is a lifestyle, not a fad! Keto is a fad diet, it isn’t meant to replace your life style. Eating healthy changes everything!

Its sort of like the Adkins diet. Except it eliminates almost all sugars. Higher fat, high protein, no carbs. I went on this diet before my trip to S. America. Lost 15 lbs in about a month. Its not a hard diet to do, you certainly don't starve but you do miss things. Like bread, rice, potatoes, fruit and Ice Cream. Man the first piece of bread I ate on vacation was like crack. Felt GREAT and you wanted more in 5 minutes.

But once you get used to what you can't eat, you find you can eat a LOT. And the part that is hard to adjust to is all the fat they want you to have. Seems kinda counter intuitive to be taking in adding fats on a diet.

Its the only diet my g/f ( an M.D.) will support. There seems to be accepted science and medical backing to how it works.

We are gonna finish out the holidays off diet , then get back on after the New Year.

I love making the fat bombs! Taste pretty good and they want you to have them as part of the diet. I have a favorite peanut butter chocolate one that people actually want me to make they taste that good. You don't know they are not sweet. As in they are not sweet from sugar. You use sugar substitutes.

I also had a VERY noticeable difference in energy and lack of joint pain after exertion, and face puffiness that diminished. You shed a lot of liquid retention. I have some hip pains from my younger days in the military after affects. 2 weeks on the Keto diet and they subsided. By the time my vacay ended (off the diet while on vacation), my hip pain had returned with a vengeance.

I want to get down to around 220ish. That's thin for 6'6". I'm 250 now. The last time I did that I had to starve for months to get there. It wasn't fun but I felt great at that weight. The Keto diet, your body isn't starving for calories. So you don't want to eat a whole lot. Its easier to lose weight because your body isn't trying to convert every calorie it gets to storage. It gets calories, they just aren't carb calories. So you can get the weight off without wanting to eat furniture in the end.

I am actually starting to support notions that have been published lately that sugar, as in cane processed sugar, is pretty bad stuff. Our body seems to be going though some effort to rid itself of it when we take it in. And sugar is added to about everything we buy that's processed.

A word of warning. The alternative options are a bit pricey. Natural almond butter or non wheat flours, or sugar substitutes cost a bit to get, but last awhile once you have them.

Oh and I have gotten hooked on Shirataki. Made from the Konjac Yam. They have managed to figure out how to make that seem like rice and pasta pretty darn well. It taste and feels like it. Totally plant based.
Smells like raw sewage when you crack open the bag but that goes away quick when you prep it.

Just be careful with the protien, as keto is actually not a high protien diet.
Too much protein and your body will turn it into sugar.
Typical weight lifting diet recommends 1 to 1 and a half grams of protein daily, per lb of body weight.
Keto diet for weight lifting is under 100 grams of protein per day.:beerchug:

Just be careful with the protien, as keto is actually not a high protien diet.
Too much protein and your body will turn it into sugar.
Typical weight lifting diet recommends 1 to 1 and a half grams of protein daily, per lb of body weight.
Keto diet for weight lifting is under 100 grams of protein per day.:beerchug:

This is correct. The typical macro for keto is 1/2-2/3rd calories from fat, and the rest in proteins while having 0-50g of carbs depending on body type.

I’m on a more of... see food diet. I see food, I eat it. I just work out/run a lot.

BEA74B5C-D3C2-4391-AD67-E42B52DAB2D2.jpeg

6B6934F0-75A3-4623-9781-AFFF28D08905.jpeg

Eating healthy is subjective. We all know what junk food is. That's a given. But many food lifestyles include starched that could be debated as healthy. Eliminating sugars isn't a fad diet. It's just hard to do with most food cultures.

Paleo is a healthy diet by most standards, but hard to discipline yourself over the long haul. Much like being vegetarian. I can do it, but you get bored with it.

Itallians have been eating pasta in quantity for about 1000 years. And they are by and large a healthy population.

Different people have different healthy diets. Keto is not an unhealthy diet. I don't see where a timeline on it makes a difference. But I'm not a nutritionist etc.

I have a bunch of health issues like I'm sure many people have. Pre-diabetic, bad coloresterol through the roof and a few more issues. Still fighting with DRs to get an MRI to get the needle that they broke in my arm 8 months ago taken out as well as we think I had a minor heart attack the other day.

That was only from eggs scrambled in butter, cheese, a pickle spear and coffee with creamer. I need to remove the creamer and just use heavy cream

No offense, but you should see a nutritionist and not just start a diet which is absolutely unsuited for you! Believe me, I know what I am talking about!

Some great info here, but I’ll share my little experience. At 18 years old, I was 5’10” and 128lbs. I Went to my local supplement store that has a nutrionist and with their help got up to a healthy 170lbs working out 5 to 6 days a week. After that, I started working 60 to 90hrs a week and no time for the gym. After 3 or 4 years, I was 235lbs and had some health issues. I decided I needed to do something to get off the meds, but I started it slow. First, all the ice cream and sodas went in the trash. After that, no more fast food (I love Steak ‘n Shake). I got a Costco membership and started making smarter choices. Barely eating any beef, no highly processed meats and mostly eating organic chicken. With a lot of cardio, I got down to 180lbs, but didn’t feel comfortable and got up to 190lb again. I have hiatal hernia and really bad GERD disease and the medication for it makes me gain weight, so when I’m on it, my weight gets above 200lbs, but I’ve discovered that intermittent fasting like @sixpack577 mentioned with no food for 18hrs 3-4 days a week, helps my GERD and allows me to balance my weight better, while on medication. I’m just mumbling all this to say this: do things gradually, because it might be hard to succeed if you wake up one day and just want to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once. Once you get used to a certain way of eating, you won’t feel like you are starving yourself, because your body will get used to it.

For what it's worth I was enrolled in this plan through work. I've since learn it's not for me. I need more proteins fewer.carbs more exercise and smaller portions. We must all find our own path.
The company is called. Lindore online.as I recall. I still have the assorted books and stuff that came with the program
I can send it to anyone who interested. It's a good system and is a way to change your food intake for life Dieting on its own is not good. A change in life style is required for long term success.

Honestly, the wife and I found a keto insta-pot cookbook. Its a life saver in a pinch and we can cook dinner in around an hour depending on the meal.
I keep the little 100 cal packs of lunch meat around for snacks (Budig). Pork Rinds are nice for some crunch if u are a snacker.
I keep ground beef in the fridge. In a pinch I can make a burger for a meal in short time.
Sounds tasty BUT what a list of poison especially the lunch meat, second only to pork rinds!
(Who the hell said "hey boss what do you want me to do with the trash from butchering the pigs?"
"fry up the skin and lets see what it taste like?")

Some great info here, but I’ll share my little experience. At 18 years old, I was 5’10” and 128lbs. I Went to my local supplement store that has a nutrionist and with their help got up to a healthy 170lbs working out 5 to 6 days a week. After that, I started working 60 to 90hrs a week and no time for the gym. After 3 or 4 years, I was 235lbs and had some health issues. I decided I needed to do something to get off the meds, but I started it slow. First, all the ice cream and sodas went in the trash. After that, no more fast food (I love Steak ‘n Shake). I got a Costco membership and started making smarter choices. Barely eating any beef, no highly processed meats and mostly eating organic chicken. With a lot of cardio, I got down to 180lbs, but didn’t feel comfortable and got up to 190lb again. I have hiatal hernia and really bad GERD disease and the medication for it makes me gain weight, so when I’m on it, my weight gets above 200lbs, but I’ve discovered that intermittent fasting like @sixpack577 mentioned with no food for 18hrs 3-4 days a week, helps my GERD and allows me to balance my weight better, while on medication. I’m just mumbling all this to say this: do things gradually, because it might be hard to succeed if you wake up one day and just want to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once. Once you get used to a certain way of eating, you won’t feel like you are starving yourself, because your body will get used to it.
I don't know what you eat but avoid peanuts, cashews, and whole tomatoes the lectin in them plays havoc on digestion.

A side benefit that hasn't been mentioned is your brain (especially) and your whole body performs better on fats instead of sugars and cancer cells that WE ALL HAVE can only burn sugars and at a rate of four times a healthy cell. No sugar and the cancer cells die off.
One thing I notice in cancer patients is they all seem to crave huge amounts of sweets.

(Who the hell said "hey boss what do you want me to do with the trash from butchering the pigs?"
Probably the same person who said "I'm hungry, I wonder what that spider with a shell that lives on the bottom of the ocean tastes like....."

Day 2. Feel like crap this am. Too soon to be the Keto flu however I am certain it from not having any sugar products. Suck part for me is that coke, the drink, is my ptsd med. I hate the real medicine they give me and I’ve stopped drinking a while back. Sugar is a mean fickle mistress....lol :(

Oh and coffee with no creamer is horrible.

That is all

Day 2. Feel like crap this am. Too soon to be the Keto flu however I am certain it from not having any sugar products. Suck part for me is that coke, the drink, is my ptsd med. I hate the real medicine they give me and I’ve stopped drinking a while back. Sugar is a mean fickle mistress....lol :(

Oh and coffee with no creamer is horrible.

That is all
Do bullet coffee. You won't miss the milk. I was convinced it was gonna be horrible. I was very wrong in that assumption. Shockingly surprised at bullet coffee.

Sounds tasty BUT what a list of poison especially the lunch meat, second only to pork rinds!

Unfortunately, most everything is poisoned now days.
Those free range, organic, cows and chickens still are exposed to acid rain, and who knows what toxins in the ground...as are we.
Just making the best of a bad situation, lol.

I'm a firm believer in the real food way of eating. If it doesn't look exactly like it did when it came out of nature do't eat it. So nothing processed This means you can eat meat but only cuts nothing process and in reasonable portion sizes. Fruits, veg., nuts, mushrooms etc. I do make an exception for greek yogurt because I love it, no sugar added of course it gets enough from the milk it's made out of.

Back