Did you buy a motorcycle for your child or children?

Did you buy a motorcycle for your child or children?

• Bought motorcycle(s) for children under 18.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Bought motorcycle(s) for over 18 year olds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handed down a motorcycle to one of my children.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't buy any motorcycles for my children.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Never had any children to give a motorcycle to.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

RedBusarider

Registered
I got to wondering how many of you have bought a motorcycle (and or dirt bike) for your children?

I bought 2 dirt bikes for my 2 daughters.
I wanted them to know how to ride one in case they ever dated a boy with a bike in the future.
I had told them that if a boy had even 1 drink (and they were on the bike) that they should tell him
he has 2 choices, either let her drive it home or she could call me and I would come and get them
no questions asked.

It also served to help from having the wool pulled over their eyes. As if he were to pull in the clutch
lever and say - oh look the bike is broke........ At least they would know the truth.......

Then again maybe someday they MIGHT buy one for themselves. At least they could test ride one if they want to.

And last but not least - if their boyfriend or husband someday had a bike and injured themselves (not on the bike) they
could probably drive it home if needed.

So those are some of the reasons that I bought motorcycles for them and taught them to ride.
Of course FUN was at the top of the list.

So did anyone else buy or give their children motorcycles?

I am kicking this around right now. My son just turned seven and he I really loves to ride his BMX bike. He spends a lot of time on it and is very skilled for a seven year old. I have been keeping my eye on craigslist for a little automatic Yamaha or something to get him started. My wife is not thrilled with the idea. I got my first bike at 10 and have been hooked ever since. I would like to past this interest on to him. I would feel horrible if he ever got seriously hurt now or in the future on it though.

My son had his first dirt bike at age 4, A Honda 50 on training wheels. Rode that for a season and then took off the wheels and away he went. I never bought the bike as a baby sitter and always and still do ride with him. He went from the 50 to a TTR 110 at age 8 and now at 11 he is riding a CRF150F. He is my riding buddy. I have always taught him the correct way to ride and he never gets on the bike without full gear. A motocross track is a great spot for the new riders to get comfortable provided there is a good group of riders. Cody is comfortable now on a track riding with the 450s. I highly recommend it provided it is done right.

My 4 year has been starting the full size ATV since he was 1 1/2 years old and can now drive it by himself in low range.

He has a Yamaha 50cc with training wheels sitting in the garage waiting on his Birthday.

He has his own helmet, chest protector, and gear and is very good about wearing them

Last edited by a moderator:
My sons are now 11 and 13, but started riding 50 cc Hondas at ages 3 and 5. They still ride and have stepped up to a 125 cc Honda (I think; it's at their Dad's house)...

My oldest doesn't seem to have as much interest in riding street, but my youngest might one day. I won't lie, I'm torn - times I wish they both rode with me and look forward to putting miles/trips/memories behind us on sport bikes, and other times I'm OK if neither of 'em ride at all. It's an odd place to be in as a rider myself :laugh:

Here are some old shots of my two sons, when they were still riding with training wheels. These are from 2006; still some of the best memories with my kids :D

7David.JPG

5MyBoys.JPG

6MyBoys.JPG

20DavidsDone.JPG

19SamsTired.JPG

I want to for my daughter. My wife, on the other hand, thinks an ATV is safer...I keep trying to tell her that she'd fall OFF a bike, but UNDER an ATV...

I want to for my daughter. My wife, on the other hand, thinks an ATV is safer...I keep trying to tell her that she'd fall OFF a bike, but UNDER an ATV...

I'm actually not a fan of ATVs for that very reason... :hide:

If you ever plan on getting the kiddos an ATV make sure it's before they learn to ride a motorcycle.

I can't tell you how many times I drove over my feet the first time I rode an ATV after riding motorcycles for years. :rofl:

If you ever plan on getting the kiddos an ATV make sure it's before they learn to ride a motorcycle.

I can't tell you how many times I drove over my feet the first time I rode an ATV after riding motorcycles for years. :rofl:

This is good info to share...explains a lot about your intelligence Bots :whistle:

WARNING:::GRAPHIC

Yeah, this happened to me just a couple years ago on a sport quad...never realized exactly how much nerf bars helped until then.

Lucky I was wearing my gear and motocross boots or it probably would have broken my ankle.

This was the upper part of the back of my leg, just below the shorts line.

Went over the small humps on the track at a fast rate of speed and my right foot slipped off the peg and under the rear tire. The tire sucked me down and this the the end result of what the foot peg did to my leg.

Hopefully I've typed down far enough where you can make a decision to look or not.

leg.jpg

WARNING:::GRAPHIC

Yeah, this happened to me just a couple years ago on a sport quad...never realized exactly how much nerf bars helped until then.

Lucky I was wearing my gear and motocross boots or it probably would have broken my ankle.

This was the upper part of the back of my leg, just below the shorts line.

Went over the small humps on the track at a fast rate of speed and my right foot slipped off the peg and under the rear tire. The tire sucked me down and this the the end result of what the foot peg did to my leg.

Hopefully I've typed down far enough where you can make a decision to look or not.

Its smiling at me.... ouch

Sorry about the thread jack...

Funny thing about that was I had no idea it happened.

I felt a little odd and my hip was hurting where it pulled me into the ground, could see some blood on the back of my motocross pants (first time wearing that pair) but figured I just rubbed the leg real good or had a small cut. The pants were intact and didn't show any damage at all.

I sat for a couple minutes. Got up and loaded up the quad, then drove all the way home.

Went to take a shower and when I pulled my pants down I said um baby, we might need to run by the hospital...

Three layers of stitches later walked out good as new.

It started with him riding small bikes with me.
8AB0D46A-DE7D-4E39-8CAE-ECF2F40D78E1_zpso79aojny.jpg

Then he wanted to ride a bigger bike with me.
B321C83E-1152-4F54-B8B6-FCAE9AEAB278_zpscdptboec.jpg

Then he wanted his own bike.
6DBB8407-7B70-4B74-BD59-C695B9E705C9_zpsjl9ijwo0.jpg

I told him he couldn't ride without his own gear.
5A02A4B0-679F-470D-8750-1F21BE40DFF2_zpsnehnpcki.jpg

But even then, mom was not thrilled. So I figured we'd try something a little smaller.
DAD09D08-5905-4694-992D-5A0864C39726_zps7f1apyqd.jpg

And that's probably what I'll end up getting him this summer. Right now he's pretty content just getting around in this.

C3425993-BF56-4255-96A4-A264DB8E67B9_zpshnammwhb.jpg

Back