Did my garage door mod

justin726

Registered
Well I finally broke down and bought a garage door remote specifically for my bike. I got tired of grabbing the one out of my truck when I needed it and then fogeting it in my coat pocket when I needed to take the truck. Plus I was wanting to find a better way of using the remote than just putting it in my pocket or in my tank bag. This is what I did.

Basically I was going to wire up this new remote with a separate pushbutton switch that I could mount nearly anywhere, and that would allow me to keep the remote hidden. This way everything will be permanent, but I won't have that ugly remote to look at.

I went down to Radio Shack and bought a small push button switch. They had a couple different ones to choose from. I basically chose one that was all black, had a nice low profile, and the button was still large enough to operate with my gloves on.

I then pryed the remote open and popped out the circuit board. On the back side of the circuit board I tested some of the contact points to find out which points the current button on the circuit board uses for operating the remote. With this single button remote, finding the two contact points were fairly easy.

I drilled a small hole in the back side of the remote housing to allow 2 wire to run through.

I cut two lengths of either 20 or 22 gage wire. I then soldered one end of one of the wires to one of the contact points of the door remote switch, then soldered the other wire to the other contact point of the door remote switch.

I ran both these wires through the hole that I drilled in the remote housing and reinstalled the circuit board back into the housing. It just clicks back into place.

Before I put together both sides of the door remote housing, I took the side of the housing with the standard, long button on it, and I flipped it over and applied a thin layer of silicon all around the button so that no water could get inside the remote. On the other half of the housing there were just a couple small holes, as well as the hole I drilled which has the wires coming out of that I applied a small amount of silicone to. Once the silicone was fairly dry, I snapped both sides of the door remote housing back together.

Before all of this I had already figured out the best place to mount the button and the remote. I was going to use the right side inner fairing panel because it had plenty of room on the underside to mount everything, plus I could mount the button where I could easily reach it without taking my hands off the bar.

With this panel removed, I cleaned the underside and applied a piece of velcro tape to the panel, and the other piece of tape to the back side of the garage door remote.

I knew where the button was going to be located on the panel, so I went ahead and drilled out the appropriate size of hole. I put the button through the hole and tightened down the fastening nut.

With the door remote velcroed to the back of the inner panel, and with the button installed, I simply cut the two lengths of wire to the appropriate length and then soldered one wire to the first contact tab on the button, and the second wire to the only other contact tab on the button.

Now, since my "new" button is connected directly to the contact points of the remote's "original" button, then every time I push my "new" button I will be making the connection through the circuit board and my door opens or shuts. It's like magic.  

Every thing is nice and neat. Everything is tucked away so that it won't get accidentally pushed. Plus, hopefully everything will be waterproof.

gd2.jpg

A shot of the "one finger" operation. With the bars in the straight forward position, it's an easy reach.

gd5.jpg

I got to admit, u were usin the ole noodle on that one J!  Sweet write up!  Youve inspired me with an idea!  
umnik.gif

nice mod i will have to try that hope you don't mind me swiping your idea
vader1.gif

Really nice mod and write up - just as an FYI - there is a company that sells a "remote control opener" that wires into your hi beam switch. When you want to open your garage door you just blip your high beams and the door opens. Should be easy to find on google or I may have it written down somewhere - it's on my long term to do list

Kent

HERE is an article about the MotoFX version. $75 and a little more work involved. And if your opener isn't on the list it costs more.

Good write up Justin.

Hey, I did the exact same thing on my previous bike. Going to do it to the Busa soon. The only thing I did different was to actually run a power wire to the remose so that you don't have to change the batteries (it was a Craftsman garage door opener that used a small 12V battery. Worked great! I think this time though I'll use the passing switch instead of adding the small push button.

Man I/we did a hell of a write up on this same topic.
The way you did it works well, there are some options that you should consider.

1) you have an always live remote, so anyone can push that button to enter the garage if your bike is outside.

2) you will have to disassemble alot of stuff to constantly change the battery in the remote control (sucks).

3) if the switch gets water in it and it corrodes you will have more headaches. Heat/moisture on the openers battery will cause problems in immediate near future. speaking from experience.

The write up I/we got real deep on discussed using a relay and a remote that used 12v's as a battery.

Small wiring job but remote draws power from bike battery, will only work if key is on, and was water tight with no maintance.

Info for anyone else doing the mod. It works great but if you can use a 12v battery opener you can use your bike power for it.

12v switched source from bike to the relay. Relay to the garage opener battery contacts. Other side of relay to button/switch. Other side of switch to ground. Key on, push button applying ground to relay which is getting power from bikes 12v switch that supplies power to opener. (inside opener solder two contacts together so the button is always pushed) your pulsating the power to the battery contacts for open/close.

hope that wasnt too confusing.

JD

Nice write up-I am a big fan of buttons and switches....

I bought a small keychain remote (1 1/2" X 1 1/2") for my garage door opener specifically for the bike-works well.

Back