another garage door opener

domestictuner

Donating Member
Registered
This variation of the mod requires no modification to the bike aside from 2 tiny holes on the inside of the seat.

I posted this in another thread but realized there is a couple of threads on this so why not make my own...

i work for an OHD dist so i get a few remotes to play with once in a while, our remotes use a 12v battery (in most cases, a 9v in very few older models) mine at home is a 390 board/trans so thats what my instructions are based on.
1) take apart transmitter
2) remove battery (note the + and _ terminals and where they go into the board on the transmitter)
3) replace the battery contacts on the board with coresponding colored wire about 18" long
4) locate the button on the trans board (generally a 2 pole(<-wrong term?) button)
5) replace button with 2 wires about 18" long (1 for each side of the button)
6) reassemble transmitter
7) acquire a small limit switch about 1"L x 1/4"W x 1/2"D availiable at most electrical supply stores (or local garage door place)
limit switch MUST be a "normally open" NO switch, a NC switch will not work
it is going in the gap between the seat and the frame so make sure it fits.
8) attach wires to limit switch using the common and NO poles/terminals/whatever
9) using 2 screws small enough to fit through the mounting holes on the limit switch, attach limit switch to the bottom/inside right hand side of the seat.
it makes 2 tiny, tiny holes in the seat covering that will never be seen
mine is located so i can reach under the seat lip, where the cast portion of the frame is welded to the
smooth portion, i beleive that is the biggest gap between the seat and the frame
**we decided it is better to have it on the right side, that way you are holding the clutch with one hand and reaching for the switch with the other as opposed to rolling toward the garage, reaching for the switch and only having control of the throttle.
10) attach the correct power wires to the battery terminals
11) fasten the remote under the elastic band holding the ecm

There it is no flashing lights, horns to trigger the opener, and most important to me, no need to hack up the bike harness.

keep in mind that since the transmitter is under the seat it will not have the range that they do on your car visor but it beats punching in your code on a codelock or walking through the house/garage to open the door

for that extra mile i used the soldering gun to "shave" the button on the remote and painted the box so most people would never recognize what it is...

Ok, I am going to give this a try, a newbie here and I could not resist being silent any longer when talking about all the Garage Door Opener transmitter modifications.  I have been lurking on the site for some time now and I have found information on this board very valuable.  Now it's my turn to add.

I found a transmitter on ebay, it's just a little box, three wires, (two for power, one antenna).  Just hook it up to either your highbeams (the box will downpower after being on for 30 secs) or your horn (which I did because I disconnected the horn, IMO the horn is useless).  I could not find the same transmitter on ebay, it runs $39.99 plus $5 shipping.  It works with Chamberlain Security+ and several other manufacturers.  

I appologize if this has already been addressed and if not, I will follow up with pictures and additional details.  I also found a write up on the Kawasaki board with all the details, except different bike.

Picture of my Baby all cover up!
<center>
DSC01953.jpg

(Powers739 @ Nov. 26 2006,09:13) Ok, I am going to give this a try, a newbie here and I could not resist being silent any longer when talking about all the Garage Door Opener transmitter modifications. I have been lurking on the site for some time now and I have found information on this board very valuable. Now it's my turn to add.

I found a transmitter on ebay, it's just a little box, three wires, (two for power, one antenna). Just hook it up to either your highbeams (the box will downpower after being on for 30 secs) or your horn (which I did because I disconnected the horn, IMO the horn is useless). I could not find the same transmitter on ebay, it runs $39.99 plus $5 shipping. It works with Chamberlain Security+ and several other manufacturers.

I appologize if this has already been addressed and if not, I will follow up with pictures and additional details. I also found a write up on the Kawasaki board with all the details, except different bike.

<center>
DSC01953.jpg
Powers,
I strongly disagree that a horn is useless. Not trying to jack the thread, but the horn is a quick way to let ppl know that you are there. I put an air horn on mine just to make it louder.

Don

(Powers739 @ Nov. 26 2006,10:13) Ok, I am going to give this a try, a newbie here and I could not resist being silent any longer when talking about all the Garage Door Opener transmitter modifications.  I have been lurking on the site for some time now and I have found information on this board very valuable.  Now it's my turn to add.

I found a transmitter on ebay, it's just a little box, three wires, (two for power, one antenna).  Just hook it up to either your highbeams (the box will downpower after being on for 30 secs) or your horn (which I did because I disconnected the horn, IMO the horn is useless).  I could not find the same transmitter on ebay, it runs $39.99 plus $5 shipping.  It works with Chamberlain Security+ and several other manufacturers.  

I appologize if this has already been addressed and if not, I will follow up with pictures and additional details.  I also found a write up on the Kawasaki board with all the details, except different bike.

<center>
DSC01953.jpg
Nice looking baby and cover
beerchug.gif

(Powers739 @ Dec. 07 2006,20:34) Do a search for taiddan, this is a similar module what is easy to install.  The website appears to be down now  http://www.taiddan.com/products.html .  Ebay had some for sale, of course....
I have one. Easy to install and works from nearly a 1/4 mile away. I put it on the bright beam. But with the HID to install, I will rethink what to hook it to.

Yea, reviving, because it didn't want to type about the black box in the other recent thread discussing the garage door opener, so I just bumped (what ever that means) this one to the top as well...

I bought a key chain garage door opener and used velcro on it to the top of the dash. It has been tested at 186 mph and never moved and its been there for 1 year on this bike and was on my others never had a problem

When I lived in a gated community the gate opener used a 9V battery, I was able to connect it to the "PASS" switch and it worked flawlessly. I used to love pulling in while others sat and waited outside the gate because they were guests or had forgotten their clicker. I would feel like the hero as I hit the "pass" switch and led the way in!
laugh.gif
I tried doing the same thing with the garage opener to my house but it uses a 1.5V system and cannot handle the power. I too now use a key chain opener that fits securely on the triple tree.

Back