Garage door opener

MikesHardware

Never Forgotten
Hi all, im getting tired of holding my garage door opening in my pants or jacket pocket and i was thinking of doing a mini-mod and install the GDO somewhere on my baby-busa. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone done this? I was thinking of going to RadioShack and getting a momentary switch and mounting it somewhere, someplace not so that it ruins the sleek lines of my busa. I actualy thought that maybe I can wire the yellow passing switch in parallel to the garage door opener, then maybe place the GDO under the back seat with some velcro to changing the battery would be easy.

What'dya think?

Any responces are much appreciated.

Mike

Someone posted that they velcroed a keychain transmitter to the clutch master cap. May be easy prey for thieves. Could wire one behind the inners and put your momentary there.

do you think that if i wire it up to the pass switch thru the harness the suzi guys will let me slid on the warranty nasties?

The alarm FOB for my car also opens my garage door. I leave it in my pocket when I ride because I don't want it dangling on my triple tree. You can buy a replacement door opener at Lowes that fits on your keychain for $20.

A friend of mine mounted it behind the frame and placed a weatherproof button "one shot" switch through the empty hole just below the seat. Completely out of sight, and it works great.

Later,

Steve

I put a fan switch in the hole on the left side of the tail section two years ago and it still works great nobody sees it. It be the perfect place for that switch.

OK heres what ya do..... Your gonna love this one....
It's cheaper then the device you can buy for $80 that attaches to your head lights when you flash the highbeam to open the garage.

In the same spot your yellow "PASS" button is but on the right handle grip switch assembly, above the on/off button.

Get a momentary contact push button switch from radio shack. They even sell black rubber capd ones that are water resistent.

Take the two screws out of the switch harness and lift the top part over to the side. Put the switch in the switch harness by drilling a small hole and then fitting it into place. (fit it inside first for proper hole. Start with small hole then adjust as needed)

Solder some 22 guage speaker wire to the switch then run the wires along the main wire harness out of the assembly. Zip tie. Mount switch and put back together.

Using a small garage door opener, open it and solder 22 guage speaker wire to the two contacts that open the garage door.

What I did was put a 9.6V remote control car battery white plug in line between the switch and the opener. (radio shack $1.79 comes with both halves with some wire sticking out both ends.)

Mount the garage door opener in the trunk somewhere. Route the wires and plug them in. This way you can unplug it to remove the opener if needbe.

OPTION. Put the pushbutton switch where your turn signal lever is but on the right side. Either way WORKS perfect.

Pic is of my toggle switch in same spot. Turns off/on guages.

JD

I've put one on every bike I've owned~ It's a simple inexpensive procedure that keeps you from having to fumble around for your opener while pullin up to your garage~ This a a write up I did on another forum a long time ago~ I'm sorry, but the pics have long since been deleted from my drive~ It's basically the same as Iceman describes above and works really well... hope it helps some~

Some people have inquired about hooking up a garage door opener switch on the bike, so you don't have to fumble about as you pull into the driveway~ I finally had mine done with much thanks to a riding buddy (Joe)~ I snapped some pics as he went along for those interested in doing the same~ Joe hooked me up with all parts and labor so actual cost of the job is not known~ I believe he mentioned he picked up everything need for around 15$~ That's assuming you can use a door opener you already own~ Otherwise you can find a universal one at Home Depot for around 30$~
Here's a quick run down of the project..

First you need a switch~ Joe found these at Radio Shack and they come in a pack of four~ Two Black and two Red buttons~ You only need one, but can always hook up a friend~  

We used basic two pair wire~ Telephone line will work just fine~ You only need two of the wires, though~ Then with a soilder gun and very little soilder...connect the wire to the switch...

My garage door opener is a Genie, but I assume most types have the same basic remote systems~ Joe opened up the 'mote and removed the circiut board from inside~ When looking at the boards top side, you can see the botton for operation~ Flip the board over and you see four soilder connections to this button~ Joe took a multimeter, set it for ohms, and touched these connections (two at a time) while another friend (Jimmy) pushed the button on the front of the board~ Once finding the two contacts needed, he soildered the other end of the wire to the circuit board~ I used the wire conectors so I can still take the 'mote out for use in my truck~

We used the bottom bolt of the brake fluid reservoir for my switch mounting location~

Joe used a bracket strap, and cut it out for just two holes~ One for the switch and one to mount to the bike~ He gave it an oval shape (sorry didn't get pic before mounting) so's not to have any sharp corners on it~ You can shape it and color it as you desire~

Then I used a strip of velcro on the back of the 'mote and mounted under my seat on the right side of the manual/registation/insurance card box~ Again....I used velcro and the wire conectors for easy removal so I can still use this 'mote when driving my truck~ For a more permenant fixture you can use double sided sticky tape, super glue, or whatever works for you~

We ran the wire along the frame right up to the switch position~ It's best to put the wire inside some wire loom (black plastic tubing), which can also be picked up at Radio Shack, for better protection from motor heat and whatnot~

Well there ya have it~ Now you can access your garage at the tip of your thumb without having to dig for the 'mote, stop and get off the bike, or whatever~ Please excuse any typos in this write up~ I hope this will help those of you looking to do the same~
___

way cool. this is great. you guys are the best! Im gonna start the mod now. This'll be my #2 mod. The 1st one was removing the reflectors.

Gypsy's got it nailed, the only thing i did different was to put in a mini 12V relay and activate from my pass lights to simulate the button press, that way no holes and extra switch.

The one you use that you flash your lights with is only $35 on e-bay but he only had genie door openers mines a crapsman , he said he'd be getting some for that one soon:cool:

Rosco, help me out with the 12v relay hook up.

The relay takes the output wire of the highbeam switch. This connects to the relay to trigger the relay. The power 12 -/+ needed you get from where ever, now my question. The output of the relay is ONE line. Where are you getting the second wire needed to "SHORT" in simulating the push of the garage door opener button.

When you push the garage door opener button your shorting the "TWO" wires together. Im lost here. I like your idea just dont know how your doing it.

JD

Too easy, you take a wire from the pass switch that goes high (+12V) when operated to one side of the relay coil, the other side of the coil goes to ground. This gives you the relay operation.
Get a multimeter and identify the pins on the relay that short when you operate the relay, you will have one or two rows of three pins, the center is usually the common one.

On the remote PCB under the button you press will be what looks like interlocking fingers, these are what the button shorts to operate the remote. solder a wire to each side of the tracks and connect to the relay pins that short when the relay is operated.

This is a pretty piss poor description but I can post some pics in a few days that will make it clearer if you can wait. I have to go on patrol for a coupple of days.

Attached is a quick mud map that might help, its a bit poor but I will post real pics later.

Remote.JPG

actually your description is fine. The reason I wasnt seeing it is I always connected the two (pin30 and pin 85) together due to NEG triggering on the relay not pos. duh.

Thanks. Dont have a pass switch but have other ideas.

JD

Back