My Garage Door Opener Mod

00Busarider

Registered
Hey guys, thought I'd do a quick write up on how I mod garage door openers. I have done this for my Jeep and every bike we have in the garage. No more fumbling to pull your opener out of your tank bag or having to always keep it in your pocket. this is a simple, cheap mod to keep your opener button right at your fingertips and does not involve hacking into any of the wiring on your bike.

Parts list:
Garage Door Opener
Momentary puch button (two pin) (available in may sizes, styles, and colors, a couple bucks at your local auto parts store or radio shack)
some small gauge wire (speaker wire works great since it has two wires and they are already joined)
solder and a soldering iron
Heat shrink

I started with the cheap one button Genie garage door opener that practically everyone has. I don't have any left that I havent hacked anymore so here is one that I have already modded.
DSCN1220.jpg

Pop open the back cover and remove the battery. locate the two contact points under the button. take your speaker wire and strip some of the insulation off. Solder one wire to each of the two contact points under the button.
DSCN1222.jpg

Now solder the other ends of the wires to the two pins on the back of your momentary puch button switch. make sure you slide the heat shrink on first. once the leads are soldered, slide the heat shrink up and shrink it to cover the terminals. put the battery back in and test it by pushing in your momentary button. if it works go ahead and make a notch in the garage door opener case for the wire to exit through and close the case back up.

Next find a suitable location for your button. I choose to utilize the switch blank on the handle bars below the kill switch on the right handle bar. take that apart and drill a hole to install the button
DSCN1223.jpg

Next, find a location for your garage door opener. I found a great spot under the side panel next to the fuse block. I just zip tied it in place and routed the wire to the button accordingly, making sure it would not catch or interfere with anything
DSCN1224.jpg

button everything up and you are done. you can mount the button anywhere you like, there are lots of options with this set up and it works great.

super.gif
That is a great place for the switch if you don't have an 04 or newer . I will be adding this mod to my bike .

Back