Way cool GDO mod!

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
UPDATE! Pictures included below!

Okay, I already know this thread is worthless without pics. I'll go reverse-engineer some pics for everyone as soon as I get a chance. Just never thought of it while I was working on it because I was so focused on making it work right.

Anyhoo, I installed a garage door opener in the new house yesterday. Finally! Now the wiff doesn't have anything else to complain about.

For now, that is!
biggrin.gif

But then, it became a question of, "How to deal with the remotes for the bikes?" Didn't really want to make it a chore to find the remote every time we left or came home.

Poking around the web and this board a little bit, I found some details about doing this mod. Basically, you just buy a remote which works with your GDO. The little mini keychain remotes are simple to mess with. This is the one we used. I got one for each bike but I've only installed one so far.

git-3-0.jpg

This one would have been just as good but Home Depot didn't have it. Would have saved us $10 between the two of them.

genieGIT-1-0.jpg

I took the back off the remote and a little green circuit board fell out along with the battery. NOTE: You MUST use a remote that has a 12-volt battery in order to do this mod. It says on the battery what voltage it is.

You can see the little buttons mounted to the circuit board. Figure out which one opens your garage door and then turn the board over. You'll see two contact points on the back of the circuit board. Here's where I almost decided not to do this mod. You have to solder a jumper wire between those two contact points. I have never soldered anything in my life. However, I wanted this mod in a fierce way!

So, another trip to Home Depot and another $25 for a soldering iron, some solder and some flux and I'm now going to be a soldering genius. Maybe.

Took the battery out first (mandatory) and managed to properly solder a short wire across the two points. After three tries. Remember, that by doing this, the button on your remote is now permanently "pressed." Adding power by reinserting the battery should instantly trigger your GDO. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

I had a moment of panic after each of the first two tries because reinserting the battery didn't open the garage door. The red light on the remote was coming on but it didn't trigger the door. I was thinking I had screwed up big time. After the third try, it still didn't work. I sat there and pouted. I was just about to throw in the towel and try it with the other remote when just for giggles, I tried putting the battery in one more time. It worked! The only thing I can figure is that during the soldering process, the microchips heated up and simply needed to cool off.

Next step was to solder two wires about 18" long onto the terminals for the battery. It's imperative that you note which wire is on the negative and postive battery terminals. After soldering those on (I'm an expert by now), I applied the loose wire ends to the remote's battery. Again, the door is still working!

I drilled a hole in the back of the remote and put the wires through it and buttoned it all up again. Now, I have a remote in hand, with useless buttons on it. The button is permanently "pressed" now. It has wires for power sticking out of the back of it. I can now wire those into whatever system I wish.

In order to make it water resistant, I lit a candle and let hot wax drip all around the seams and over the buttons and the light. Any little crevice where water might get in. Let that cool and dry, then taped it all up with black electrician's tape.

Of course, it can't be hooked directly to the motorcycle battery or the button will "press" that one time and then you're done.

I chose to wire it to the hi-beam switch. Actually, the wires to the high-beam switch. I used a wiring diagram in a Haynes manual for my bike and buried deep within the nose of the Busa, I found the wires for the high-beam power and ground wires. Traced them out and gently cut off some insulation with a razor blade. Most of that wiring is stranded wire so I had to be careful not to cut too deeply.

If I'm not mistaken, the high beam switch on the Busa only gives a momentary power burst to the circuit and not a continuous power feed. Make sure this is the case on your bike if you decide to do this mod. (If I AM mistaken, I may be burning out a remote the next time I go on a long night ride!)

With the wire exposed, I soldered the lead wires from the modified remote to those wires on the bike. Remember, you need to keep straight which is positive and which is negative or this is NOT going to work. (The negative wire on the remote goes to the battery ground wire on the bike.)

If I can solder, you can too, most likely!

Once I had the leads soldered into place, I taped up all the exposed solder joints with black electrician's tape. Then I found a place on the frame under the cowling where I could zip-tie the remote and viola! I'm done (except for putting it all together, of course).

I hit the high beam switch. Nothing happened. Dummy. You have to turn the bike on first. Turned the bike on and hit the switch again! Hey! It's working! The garage door started to rise. Hit the switch off, then on again and it stopped the door. A third time off and on and it closed the door.

This was soooooo, cool (to me, anyway) that I sat there playing with it for about 20 minutes. I think that was when the wiff came out to the garage and said, "What the he!!'s going on?" Now, of course, she's all over me to put it on her bike too!

LMAO

Put it all back together again, played with it some more and cleaned up! I noticed that if the high beam switch is "on" when you turn the key on, it will power the remote and open the garage door when you start the bike. Also kinda cool!

I just need the wiring diagram for the 06 Gixxer 1000. Anyone have it? I'm betting it's the same wire colors as the Busa but I don't know for certain.

This is soooooo, cool!

There are easier ways to do this but I don't care. I think this is the BEST way!
tounge.gif

Best thing about this is that you don't have an active remote on your bike (it only works with the key in the "ON" position). Second best thing is, it's completely out of sight and unless you tell someone about it, they'll never know it's there.

Now I can open my garage door without having to hunt for a remote and without having to stop and search for it or even take my hands off the handlebars!

I'm easily amused and I have way too much time on my hands!

--Wag--

sounds cool! Way too much work for me though. I just have the wife get off and open the door so I can do a holeshot into the garage.

That's another way to do the mod! LOL

--Wag--

i love that mod
i also call it the get away.
i live on a main road an sometimes i kinda speed
blush.gif
and i hit the button and go right in the garage and close the door
beerchug.gif

great idea and write-up...don't have a wife so i guess i'll have to try this out
laugh.gif

Hey wag. you never saw my remote?

I have a mini Genie remote (not like the one pictured, a differant verion) and it is velcro'd to the top of my clutch resivoir

When I drive up I press it with my finger and usually the garage is opened by the time I get to it and I drive right it.

Let me know if you want pics.. though you had seen it..

Since I have HID on both the high and low beam. I am going to wire mine the the "Pass" button. That way I don't have to worry whether I use a 12v GDO or not.

Don

Ron, I never saw yours or if I did, old age has flushed that memory already! I was originally thinking about doing the same thing but I'm very concerned about somone stealing the remote and having access to my garage/house/contents.

I wanted it out of sight, out of mind. Besides, I had an emotional attachment to doing the project, having it work and being completely self-satisfied about it!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The justification I used was, "What if the bike is sitting in my driveway and someone hits the remote and then has access to the garage?" I wanted it to work only when the ignition is on. Another justification was, "I don't have to keep track of a remote, now!" It's not like a car where you can toss it in the ashtray and it's always with the car. With the bike, you either have to risk it being stolen or you have to keep tabs on it all the time.

Those are my rationalizations for the emotional reason for doing this mod. Next: The wiff's gixxer!
biggrin.gif

USN05LE: Mine is an '03 and doesn't have that pass switch. However, I do know that if you hardwire the remote to the wiring of the bike, you still have to make sure it's a 12-volt remote. Otherwise, you'll fry the remote.

I may not get to the pics right away but but the will be forthcoming!

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wag, it will fry the remote IF you plan to you use the bike's power for the remote. I plan to use the battery for the remote, and then just use the switch to activate it. I will just have to insulate the hot lead coming to the switch.

Don

(USN05LE @ Nov. 14 2006,09:07) Wag, it will fry the remote IF you plan to you use the bike's power for the remote. I plan to use the battery for the remote, and then just use the switch to activate it. I will just have to insulate the hot lead coming to the switch.

Don
How do you wire that up? I'm curious. Won't you need a resistor for the lead wire?

--Wag--

Hey wag, if ever want help on that kind of stuff just hit me up, I solder and build wire harness assemblies for a living.

cool trick and sweet write up BTW
beerchug.gif

Wag,
There you have to disconnect the switch from the wiring harness. You can either do it at the switch or you can do it down the wiring harness somewhere. Once you remove the switch from the wiring harness it is just a switch with no power to it. Then you just have to solder the wires to the leads on the PCB of the GDO.

Don

Oh, now I get it, Don. Duh. I'm a pictures kinda guy, mostly!

--Wag--

(warwgn @ Nov. 14 2006,13:01) Hey wag, if ever want help on that kind of stuff just hit me up, I solder and build wire harness assemblies for a living.

cool trick and sweet write up BTW
beerchug.gif
Will do. I appreciate the offer.

--Wag--

Another mod I have always thought of doing, but never been in a house long enough to make it worthwhile.

Okay, here are the pics with additional text for clarification. I took picx of the process of putting the remote in my wife's Gixxer but the Busa is very similar. Just easier on the Busa, is all!
biggrin.gif

poke.gif

Innocent, unsuspecting solder set!

remote01.jpg

Innocent, unsuspecting remote GDO!

remote02.jpg

The surgery begins. The arrow marks the button which opens the garage door.

remote03.jpg

The back of the circuit board. The arrows point to the leads on the back of the button. I'm going to cross these two leads permanently.

remote04.jpg

Here is the lead jumpered. No laughing at my solder joints!

remote05.jpg

Then, we solder wires to the battery terminals. These wires will get the power from the motorcycle whenever you push the button. You MUST remember which one is negative and which is positive. One of these two strands had a stripe. I made it the negative wire. You should be able to see the '-' and the '+' on the green circuit board near the terminal.

Drill a hole in the back of the remote. Or the front, if you prefer. It makes little difference!

Push the wire through the hole, bolt everything back together and test it by putting the battery on the other end of the wires. If it triggers your garage door, you're good so far! Then, dribble wax from a candle over all the seams. This should make it water resistant.

Then, lay the wires along the bottom of the remote and tape everything up with black electrician's tape. It should help hold everything together and keep anything but the most major pulls on the wires from damaging your work.

Follow the wire cluster from your left handlebar to wherever it disappears into the bike. On the Gixxer (shown in the pictures) this is a pain in the A$$!!! You have to take the airbox off in order to get to a point where the wiring is not visible. The easiest thing on the 06 Gixxer is to look for that yellow plug as shown. The '03 Busa has the EXACT same yellow plug but it's a lot easier to locate, directly under the left inner panel. The wiring is also exactly the same colors, at least, the ones we need for THIS project. The wires to the remote are shown.

(continued)

(Continuation)

The yellow wire is the positive power wire. The Black/White wire is the battery ground wire. (This is also the same on the '03 Busa and the '06 Gixxer.) You MUST connect the negative remote wire to the battery ground wire (black/white). If you cross them, the remote simply will NOT open your garage door for you!

A pic of the solder joints. No laughing, please!
biggrin.gif

Wrap everything up with more black electrician's tape, then thread everything through where it was before and plug in the yellow connector again. Turn on the key to the bike and hit the high beam or the flash button. The garage door should open. Hit it again and the door stops. Hit it again and the door closes. Find a place to mount the remote and zip tie everything together. You can see where I put the remote on the Gixxer. The Busa has a little tree where the fuse box is mounted and the remote can be easily zip tied to it.

Cool mod. Not THAT hard to do. I'm just not a soldering guru, as you can plainly see. In fact, doing these two bikes was the first time I've ever soldered anything!

Any questions, let me know.

--Wag--

I like that mod alot but just wonder about the high beam wiring over heating the remote. Why not just wire it to the pass button. Who uses that anyway? It is just a extra button to me.

Back